Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Helping out a grandson.

Quote Originally Posted by TrackerDV17 View Post
    Since that scam has been around for a long time it must still bring in enough for them to continue using it.

It's amazing what lonely and elderly people will unfortunately fall for.

If the number isn't in my contact list on my cell phone it's automatically blocked and goes into a file that I can review to see if it's legit.

I usually just delete the file.

We don't answer the so called home phone anymore!!!

I just clear the caller ID every few days.

Mike
    We have a hardline phone and two smart phones. The hardline phone has a answering machine and after 4 rings it goes there. My wife still insists on saying "Hello" which will trigger most of their phony scam lines to start up. I pick up the phone and wait for someone to talk or the busy signal. In the past I would put the TV on a foreign language channel and turn up the volume. Blocking systems are iffy as the scammers call from different numbers setup on their systems, so not even ID works on some of those as they mimic known numbers....Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Helping out a grandson.

Quote Originally Posted by Grncrestliner View Post
    I almost played along with the scammer for a few minutes but just hung up the phone. I wonder how often that scam actually works? They almost got a friend of ours to send $3500 a few years ago. Fortunately they figured it out and did not send any money.
    Since that scam has been around for a long time it must still bring in enough for them to continue using it.

It's amazing what lonely and elderly people will unfortunately fall for.

If the number isn't in my contact list on my cell phone it's automatically blocked and goes into a file that I can review to see if it's legit.

I usually just delete the file.

We don't answer the so called home phone anymore!!!

I just clear the caller ID every few days.

Mike

3. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Helping out a grandson.

Quote Originally Posted by Grncrestliner View Post
    Many of you have been grandfathers longer than I have been one so if you have some better ideas about how to help a grandson I am willing to listen. I got a call yesterday from one of them and he had been in an automobile accident and needed a few bucks. I wasn't sure if I should call his dad first or just send the money. I may have made a mistake but I sent the $5,000 he needed and I am just thankful I had enough to send. It was a struggle but I managed to get it done.
    If your grandson was in this situation would any of you send the money? I hope I did the right thing.

The biggest surprise I had was since my oldest grandson is less than 12 years old I didn't realize he had his own car. I guess if you are that young it is tough to get good insurance so he must have needed the money to pay for repairs.

I almost played along with the scammer for a few minutes but just hung up the phone. I wonder how often that scam actually works? They almost got a friend of ours to send $3500 a few years ago. Fortunately they figured it out and did not send any money.
    My wife received a call from a prison from my "grandson" and he needed money to bail himself out. Funny thing was that my wife said "your wife might want to know what prison you are in" and the guy hung up, lucky thing he did, because my grandson is a prison guard in Carson City....Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Helping out a grandson.

Many of you have been grandfathers longer than I have been one so if you have some better ideas about how to help a grandson I am willing to listen. I got a call yesterday from one of them and he had been in an automobile accident and needed a few bucks. I wasn't sure if I should call his dad first or just send the money. I may have made a mistake but I sent the $5,000 he needed and I am just thankful I had enough to send. It was a struggle but I managed to get it done.
    If your grandson was in this situation would any of you send the money? I hope I did the right thing.

The biggest surprise I had was since my oldest grandson is less than 12 years old I didn't realize he had his own car. I guess if you are that young it is tough to get good insurance so he must have needed the money to pay for repairs.

6. Likes GW208, Jetspray, wckid liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12