Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line preference

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Line preference

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post
    A suggestion—if you want to use braid, opt for a lighter powered rod or if trolling, a rod with a moderate action to absorb a hard charging fish. If you want to use mono, go heavier on the power along with a fast tipped rod.
    Great advice right there.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

65 braid to 25 mono

Post Thanks / Like

I always used 15 lb Stren for casting and 20 lb for trolling. This is my all time favorite line but it does abrade rather easily so, when trolling, I would always cut 5' off every hour or so and definitely after catching a fish or pulling loose from a snag. For casting I would cut off about 20 yards and tie on fresh after every trip. Stren is not expensive when you buy it in 1/4 lb or jumbo spools and it is supple with just the right amount of stretch to absorb the impact of a hard strike IMHO.

4. Likes SteelyMan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One friend likes 15lb Big Game and another likes 20lb XT. I tie 50’ of 17lb Stren to 30lb braid. Even though we all fish similarly, our setup preferences differ.

My friend who uses the Big Game likes the stretchy-ness of the line but uses a stiff heavy powered rod to set the hook when trolling and jigging. The one who uses XT likes less line stretch (he’s thinking of going to braid with a short leader) but uses a medium powered rod to absorb the shock of a hot fish. My trolling rod is a MH but has a soft tip whereas my jig rod has a bit more power overall for setting the hook.

A suggestion—if you want to use braid, opt for a lighter powered rod or if trolling, a rod with a moderate action to absorb a hard charging fish. If you want to use mono, go heavier on the power along with a fast tipped rod.

Asking what line to use is just one part of the equation. Finding a setup that works for you and how you fish should be the ultimate goal. Watch our though, that journey for that perfect setup could get expensive.

6. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Honksrworkin - gotta disagree on the 1021 IMX...I can feel everything with mine, and I’m using 12-15 lb mono. Great rod.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

STICK N FISH&FOLD N FOWL honksrworkn's Avatar
    No Cal .... Between the Sac and Feather ..
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wparrish View Post
    What pound mono do you prefer for salmon fishing on the Sac delta?
    Lb test depends on a lot of factors , I run 15, 17 and 20lb but it depends what kind of water , fish size your looking to catch , bank fishing or boat and more
    I used to run 15lb TRILENE Big Game(still do on a few reels) ... It's still one of the best lines on the market as far as abrasion resistance and strength ....the cons are it has to much memory and after trying many others it doesn't cast as smooth .... in part due to the memory .... PLine is another really good line , about like Big Game in every aspect....
    My new favorite line was a well kept secret for yrs that my bass tournament winning buddy's swore it helped them win a bunch of tournaments .... The 12lb is as thin as Maxima 8lb and its tensile strength is like 17lb , I run 20lb on my Curado K's and its as thin as Maxima 15lb ..... Sucks hanging up because its hard to break almost like braid so I quit using the 15lb for leader .... The lighter stuff 6lb & 8lb is strong but stretches too much .. I promised my buddy's I wouldn't tell anyone so I'm not gonna be able to say the company name .... But it's made Down Under ...
    Definitely Don't Waste your Money on Kast King Mono , Icast winner my ass this junk cost me 4 Salmon .... I tried 3 different 15, 17 and 25 lb test and its all junk ....breaks like thread ....casts good but the color fades or bleeds out after one or two uses ....Cheap for good reason ....It's junk .. I wonder If ICast is like the Motor trend car of the yr .... Whoever pays the most Money wins the award .....
    As far as braid ..... Yeah its strong but I hate it ....just threw away a few spools of it ....always think I can get used to it ..and every yr is the same ...one or two trips and I take it off.... The only thing I like about braid is the sensitivity ....my new G Loomis 1021 IMX hot shot is probably worthy of its ridiculous price tag running braid .....with mono its nothing special ...... Great Rod but its not worth the full retail price IMO ....

Good fish n to ya !

Post Thanks / Like

Yep all that, used to use 15-20 pound mono switched to 65 pound braid last few years for the same reasons stated, it has a few advantages under most of the conditions I fish, a little bit of a learning curve involved. The mono is fine too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wparrish View Post
    Why did you switch to braid. Going to make my first trip up there and all my reels have mono.

Most folks use braid raid for the reasons stated, but millions were caught on mono prior to the advent of braid. It’s a choice, not a necessity in my opinion.

11. Likes SteelyMan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Go with what ya got,,,, 17to20 lb mono will do fine. good luck. Switch to braid later if you choose.

Post Thanks / Like

50 braid, 25 floro leader
    Fisher of men first, fisher of fish second.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast