Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transom Height

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Transom Height

Here are couple of my previous boats with 20" notched transom. Used them to fish Bodega for Salmon, Rockfish and Crabbing. Never had waves breech the transom because I chose my days.

Just an FYI, I've seen the Sac river with wind and waves that were so bad that I turned around without launching and drove back home. Again...choose you days.

23.5' Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

2. Likes Katch, RideNfish, Jetspray, Datster_2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the 25 inch transom, but thats just me. I think no problem on lakes, river, Delta on most days. Not sure i would think about the Salt even on good days. Maybe some fella's here that have a boat with 20 inch that fish the Bay for Halibut will chime in.

Also size of boat would play a factor with me, a 19 or 20 ft boat with a 20 in transom is better than a 16 footer.

4. Likes RideNfish, Paintguy, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your input Seon.

6. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RideNfish View Post
    Another question y'all.

... I see mostly 20" transom heights and some 25". What are your preferences? ... Just concerned about the amount of water coming over in rough windy days.

Cheers,
    Doug, as you know I've owned several boats having both 20" and 25" motor shaft lengths. Water will go over the notched transom into the splashwell regardless of transom height unless one has a offshore/gill bracket where the transom is not notched. But then again, in rough enough water, waves will breach any transom.

A little tid bit... swamping is the #1 cause of sinkings. Just choose your days when you go out.
    Last edited by Seon; 09-15-2019 at 05:33 AM.
    23.5' Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

Post Thanks / Like

Transom Height

Another question y'all.

I have been looking at so many boats my head is spinning. I see mostly 20" transom heights and some 25". What are your preferences?

I will do delta and lake fishing with maybe some selective salt water days thrown in. Just concerned about the amount of water coming over in rough windy days. Would love to have some feed back from those in the know and have experience with the different heights.

Thank you!

Cheers,

9. Likes Jetspray liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12