Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone eat carp?

Quote Originally Posted by Troutinator View Post
    I'm an Iowan native, growing up along the Mississippi before joining the US Navy in 1981. Back then, my dad would occasionally shoot carp with archery gear and split them open before laying them in a piece of plywood and covering them with chicken wire. He would sadly it and then lean it up near a campfire and smoke it that way. Yes, it was great! This was usually done during a big gathering at a sand bar on the river, such as 4th of July, with a lot of people grabbing chunks of smoked carp to go with their potatoe salad and hot dogs.
    Almost 60 years ago my barber bragged about his smoked fish so I asked him if I got some carp out of Folsom would he smoke them for us. He said he would so I took my wooden Chris Craft 8' pram down to Rattlesnake and rowed around looking for carp. I thought out of Folsom they should be about as good as that fish could be. This was before any mercury concerns.
    Anyway, without going into a lot of details I learned how to snag carp since it was hard to get them to bite. I almost sank the boat but got it back and filleted all the fish and had about 75 pounds of very nice fillets. I took them to him and he said he'd smoke them but after a month of asking where the smoked fish were I found out he'd thrown the fillets away. That's as close as I ever came to eating a good quality carp and the last of my friendship with that jerk.

2. Likes CAL.NDN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm an Iowan native, growing up along the Mississippi before joining the US Navy in 1981. Back then, my dad would occasionally shoot carp with archery gear and split them open before laying them in a piece of plywood and covering them with chicken wire. He would sadly it and then lean it up near a campfire and smoke it that way. Yes, it was great! This was usually done during a big gathering at a sand bar on the river, such as 4th of July, with a lot of people grabbing chunks of smoked carp to go with their potatoe salad and hot dogs.

4. Likes CAL.NDN, sprig1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is an old thread but it's raining so...
    Carp are here because President U.S.Grant had a commission that thought that European Carp would increase food fish for the arriving Europeans who liked them. Thanks Ulysses.
    A friend who was a DFG unit biologist in the Tulare Basin was able to get carp regularly from a canal in his unit. He'd take them home and pressure cook them for his dog. He did this with lots of wildlife that he had access to. One day while feeding his dog the pieces, he found a couple particularly nice looking pieces in the cook pot. He tried one and found it delicious and ended up eating the best of the pieces. He was going to try to cook some with seasoning like vegetables and salt but when he went back to the canal it was dry as the irrigation season was over. He never had a chance to eat any more but was very open to doing it.
    Carp is listed on the menus in the small restaurants along the Mississippi. I'd like to try it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by photomonkey View Post
    Fun to catch but.... can anyone make these taste good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    back in the late 50's, my mother and stepdad always fished for carp below the fort Gibson dam, we would
    give them to and elderly family, (grandma and grandpa to me, but not related), grandma would fix the
    for their children (5) and grandchildren (9 or 10), we didn't cook them at home but Grandma brown would
    bake them and it tasted good to me. we ate channel cat, mom would always say carp is a 'trash fish' but
    in my honest opinion there is no bigger trash fish than catfish.
    be safe

7. Likes photomonkey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone eat carp?

Fun to catch but.... can anyone make these taste good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk