Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sac River at sac Town today

Quote Originally Posted by MadCanoe View Post
    Reefer madness? Your 60's rhetoric is foolish. Just look at the "Homeless Madness" and the "Pollution Madness"
    along with the freak'n murders over ridiculous stuff. People have changed. Our Rivers have changed dramatically...
    Tripled Algea blooms and plants are growing like crazy... It's not all from fecal material..
    Illegal grows simply pour the NPK in the sewer at ratios never seen before. Just looking at analysis of tap water is a sign of the times. So enjoy your rhetoric and watch this State rot.

Loosen up your tin foil hat. Good luck finding your safe place, may it be all rainbows and teddy bears.

2. Likes Prettyman01 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigUnInDaBoat View Post
    Threadfin shad are non-native. They are not one of the species on the brink of extinction due to water exports.

Your reefer madness is showing. Funny you're blaming "pot famers" when there are thousands of acres of all type of agriculture lining the sac. Legal cannabis farms are held to the highest pollution and pesticide standards, much more so than vineyards that produce the wine you drink, and the lettuce you eat in your salad.
    Reefer madness? Your 60's rhetoric is foolish. Just look at the "Homeless Madness" and the "Pollution Madness"
    along with the freak'n murders over ridiculous stuff. People have changed. Our Rivers have changed dramatically...
    Tripled Algea blooms and plants are growing like crazy... It's not all from fecal material..
    Illegal grows simply pour the NPK in the sewer at ratios never seen before. Just looking at analysis of tap water is a sign of the times. So enjoy your rhetoric and watch this State rot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigUnInDaBoat View Post
    Threadfin shad are non-native. They are not one of the species on the brink of extinction due to water exports.

Your reefer madness is showing. Funny you're blaming "pot famers" when there are thousands of acres of all type of agriculture lining the sac. Legal cannabis farms are held to the highest pollution and pesticide standards, much more so than vineyards that produce the wine you drink, and the lettuce you eat in your salad.
    These are new laws. Illegal pot farms have ruined the fishing on many rivers in this state. I am all for legal grows and I agree they are held to very high standards but take a drive up north and it doesn't take a scientist to figure out they have been hurting our river's for the last 30-40 years. No one has any clue on what to do and this state is a lost cause. I chase chrome on every river in this state and have steadily watched it all go down hill. Money talks, they want our guns and our resources for there own agenda's.

5. Likes zipperman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

""The rice farmers are draining their fields. I don't know the logistics of it but REc 1000 must be the conduit for returning rice field water back to the river. And whatever it is that floats around in the those rice patties most definitely doesn't get filtered out before the patty water is returned to the river. ""

If our environmentalists wanted to seriously Farm Salmon after the Rice is harvested. Deep fills in a few Rice Fields making a Lakes. Throw a few million water fleas into the mix. Move the Salmon fry to these Lakes until they grow to sizes that can avoid Strippers. Release them through Canals and we could have a huge Salmon fishery. More than ever recorded could be Farmed. Our legislature is planning to meter water instead... Flush the Watershed. Remove Dams.. California greed on Steroids.
    Some of those water fleas would float down to replenish the Threadfin Shad.. But nooooo... We have to fight Water Wars... and pot growers flushing fertilizers into the Sacramento River.. Much more important... Money money money... Chaching.
    DWR and DFW already raise salmon and steelhead in flooded rice fields

7. Likes Chrome Seeker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of those water fleas would float down to replenish the Threadfin Shad.. But nooooo... We have to fight Water Wars... and pot growers flushing fertilizers into the Sacramento River.. Much more important... Money money money... Chaching.

Post Thanks / Like

""The rice farmers are draining their fields. I don't know the logistics of it but REc 1000 must be the conduit for returning rice field water back to the river. And whatever it is that floats around in the those rice patties most definitely doesn't get filtered out before the patty water is returned to the river. ""

If our environmentalists wanted to seriously Farm Salmon after the Rice is harvested. Deep fills in a few Rice Fields making a Lakes. Throw a few million water fleas into the mix. Move the Salmon fry to these Lakes until they grow to sizes that can avoid Strippers. Release them through Canals and we could have a huge Salmon fishery. More than ever recorded could be Farmed. Our legislature is planning to meter water instead... Flush the Watershed. Remove Dams.. California greed on Steroids.
    Last edited by MadCanoe; 09-22-2019 at 08:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Draining rice fields in Sept/Oct has been going on for generations. The water quality today is vastly better than it was 20 years ago. I doubt that rice draining as an adverse affect on salmon. I would think that the added nutrients from the rice water would feed bait fish and in turn move stripers into the area, but I have no support to confirm or deny this opinion.
    Fisher of men first, fisher of fish second.

11. Likes bajakarr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely spring would be a better time.

13. Likes bajakarr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Salmon are like people...they don't want to swim through the human feces in the American

15. Likes bajakarr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bajakarr View Post
    I keep my boat at the Sac Marina. Usually put in late spring or early summer. It's been a really busy year this time around and I just put the boat in Aug 30th.
    Today was the first day I was able to get out. I started very early am at my favorite spot just outside the marina.
    I could tell something was different because i often have to wait for the outgoing tide to get enough current to move my flatfish. ( I usually fish at anchor, though not exclusively) It was still dark but I could tell the current was ripping. Marked several fish around Miller in the am but couldn't get the skunk off.
    Decided to do a little recon. Checked out my usual favorite spots. Cold have saved the gas. The most fish I marked today was early at Miller. And I stopped at several spots between Miller and Ski Beach. Even went up to my favorite jigging hole on the American. Surprised to see it was about two degrees warmer than the Sac... Definitely nothing happening between the mouth and Camp Pollack. Except the e coli. OMG. They have got to repeal that court decision. The south bank of the American has become tent city. Literally. One spot were about 10 tents were lined up like Main St. But I digress.
    I saw one salmon caught by the small water tower below Discovery. I tried anchoring above the mouth in one of my favorite spots but gave up when even a K14 flatfish was getting blown sideways. The current was unbelievable in spots today.
    Decided to head up river. From sunrise on I couldn't help but notice the massive amount of small bits of something green and organic streaming by on all parts of the Sac, From what I could see it wasn't hyacinth, wasn't algae, wasn't seaweed. Then, as I was approaching The Virgin Sturgeon, I saw the source. The Reclamation District 1000 pumps were going full bore, dumping massive amounts of water into the river. I use the term "water" loosely. It appears the rice harvest is upon use. The rice farmers are draining their fields. I don't know the logistics of it but REc 1000 must be the conduit for returning rice field water back to the river. And whatever it is that floats around in the those rice patties most definitely doesn't get filtered out before the patty water is returned to the river.
    I'm sure this happens every year. Just the first time I experienced it. Be interested to hear how others view this.
    Looking forward to getting back out there. I hope these spring type flows ( Rec 1000 ) subside siin.
    Thanks for the well written report. As far as the tents and all, we are witnessing the continual unravelling of society day by day. Things are very different today. No reports here I've not made it out yet this season.

17. Likes bajakarr liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast