Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A little clarification please.

Not sure if this link works once I pasted it in, but it's a quick google search for California Navigable Water Law

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...UE-6IodPM0STl2

2. Likes Jetspray, Datster_2000, CDK, Elsancho liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: A little clarification please.

Quote Originally Posted by hooks View Post
    It's in the last sentence of the answer to the first question.

https://californiaoutdoors.wordpress...lic-waterways/
    That is it Don, like I said there are places that are not allowed to access or use like they belong to the public. Many berms are on private property and that would include some residential areas as well as docks and slips. Try to explain to someone that you live in a gated community and that she/he cannot bring her/his kids/family there to swim in "our" pool/hot tub, or use the tennis courts, or basketball court, or the community center with video games/tv available for the homeowners to have parties in...….Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Elsancho View Post
    i was anchored on the side of the chanel so I wouldn’t be in the way of any boat that needed to pass by. The water is only about 5ft deep. I was anchored about 50ft away casting at docks/slips that were empty. I made sure I wasn’t in the way of any boaters that May berth there.
    Now I know exactly where you were.. I would consider that public water. It would also seem to me that you could troll in Snug harbor as long as you don’t contact the docks or land and did not interfere with boat traffic. But again I do not know if a marinas authority extends beyond their physical docks.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog View Post
    I know Steamboat slough and Snug harbor area well. I’m not sure though what you refer to as anchoring on the side of the cut.
    Im aware of the laws concerning public and navigational water ways. But I am not sure how they apply to places like marinas. You obviously can’t fish from a marinas floating docks as that is considered private property. You can’t fish from someone’s unoccupied boat slip even if not touching the docks. I don’t know if marinas and similar business with floating or permanent docks can deem water within so many feet of the docks private property. I assume they have some control over water close to or immediately adjacent to their docks and shore. Good question Elsancho.
    i was anchored on the side of the chanel so I wouldn’t be in the way of any boat that needed to pass by. The water is only about 5ft deep. I was anchored about 50ft away casting at docks/slips that were empty. I made sure I wasn’t in the way of any boaters that May berth there.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have waited for the S.O. to pilot up then ask for clarification if it’s private or public. IMO if it’s not posted then it’s public. Hell all he would do is ask you to leave if it’s private.
    23.5' Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

7. Likes MKE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I no longer live in California but you should be able to search here for some answers......Jetspray

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Search-Results?q=inland%20navagable%20waters
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

I know Steamboat slough and Snug harbor area well. I’m not sure though what you refer to as anchoring on the side of the cut.
    Im aware of the laws concerning public and navigational water ways. But I am not sure how they apply to places like marinas. You obviously can’t fish from a marinas floating docks as that is considered private property. You can’t fish from someone’s unoccupied boat slip even if not touching the docks. I don’t know if marinas and similar business with floating or permanent docks can deem water within so many feet of the docks private property. I assume they have some control over water close to or immediately adjacent to their docks and shore. Good question Elsancho.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

10. Likes Jetspray, zipperman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No one owns navigable water. It’s the law. Tell her to call the sheriffs next time. Those types of people need to be educated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes MKE, zipperman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Next time ask for the law which says you can't navigate your boat and fish in the river. If they argue let them know their property rights end at the high water mark/ High tide line. if they want to waste a sheriffs time then he can swim to you with the ticket. The same thing happens along the beaches.
    Last edited by Datster_2000; 09-21-2019 at 07:56 AM.

14. Likes jjb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspray View Post
    There are many places in the delta that are private property for sure. Especially along farmland but I do not know where. There might be some maps like county or city available. I would look into that and purchase those that affect the areas I wish to fish. Many of those land areas are off limits, just sayin'...….Jetspray
    I know there is private land/property all over the delta. I was in my boat anchored on the water, she claimed they owned the water and I couldn’t anchor/fish there, of course u can’t fish from someones land/docks. I was anchored on the water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast