Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Top 10 States for Number of Paid Fishing Licenses Issued

That does take in hunting and fishing but it also includes................

lots of people from out of state that visit Calif. to also hunt and fish, plus.........
    some of us also have property in Calif. that live in another near by state.

Many reasons to have a misleading sales number.............
    but this state DOES have lots of fish, animals and birds to enjoy, if you do that sort of thing,
    or just sit out on the porch and enjoy the views of the Tahoe Summer Cabin.

Post Thanks / Like

Yer talkin to a guy that likes to stain his lead weights black by using draino..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjb View Post
    If youíre not catching quality or quantity of fish Iíd think thatís more your fault than whatís in this state. Iíve caught more trout at the 24Ē mark and over than youíd see caught in out of country or out of state fly fishing destination pictures. California is loaded with amazing fisheries you just need to locate and figure them out. Despite the high California population thereís many waters that are kept secret that people donít talk about for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I totally agree. You need to work hard at it and put in the time to experience real success with fish and game.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

4. Likes BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefanoflo View Post
    am I correct in looking at California at 60 Million in revenue??? and # 1 in sales??? at almost 2.5 Million
    You would not know that by fishing in this state!

https://business.realtree.com/busine...ense-purchases
    If youíre not catching quality or quantity of fish Iíd think thatís more your fault than whatís in this state. Iíve caught more trout at the 24Ē mark and over than youíd see caught in out of country or out of state fly fishing destination pictures. California is loaded with amazing fisheries you just need to locate and figure them out. Despite the high California population thereís many waters that are kept secret that people donít talk about for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes Waterdog, BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, some of us buy fishing and hunting licenses, federal and state duck stamps, bear tag, two deer tags, elk draws, waterfowl draws, upland game bird validation, ect.

So I'm sure the $1000+ in money I spend yearly to F&G is all included in that.

This state is one of the best in the nation for waterfowl, and as mentioned before we have many opportunities that are unrivaled in this state.

8. Likes Waterdog, MKE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FYI. Found this off google.

FY 2018-19 Budget SummaryCDFWís Governorís Proposed Budget is $522.7 million and 2,375.1 positions which includestemporary help. The following three tables summarize the budget by category, program, andfund source.
    link below...
    https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...=154895&inline

The license fee's pay for a small portion of the budget.

Post Thanks / Like

what got my Interested was revenue . whats going on with what I`m paying for and what are they doing with the Money collected. are they spending more on controlling illegal grows now?? or are they giving it to the general fund ? With that Much revenue and Potential for growth , you would thing they would do more to encourage it than do away with Bullets and away with lead and Hunting , as well as or water needed for our Salmon and Steelhead. lets not talk about less and less trout plants either due to something like a frog or something like something else that Science was told to bend in order to get Funding .

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

11. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I also agree we have here in California the greatest variety and diversity of hunting and fishing opportunities of any state in the US. None can compare to us. Iíve hunted waterfowl in the morning, pheasant in the late morning and caught a variety of fish in the afternoon all in the same day. I donít know how many different kinds of fish both salt and fresh Iíve caught but I bet itís more than 30. Iíve caught salt water varieties that I didnít even know what they were. One year when I decided to only eat meat/fish that I harvested, you could find in my freezers deer, pig, ducks, geese, pheasant, dove, quail and at least 10 different kinds of fish and shell fish. No other state can you do that.
    Alaska may have better salmon fishing, Montana better deer hunting, places on the East coast better striper fishing but no one has all the variety California has.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

13. Likes Stickman, jjb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The total number of fishing licenses shown purchased in California is a little misleading. That number includes licenses and also tags, stamps and other things. The total number of just California fishing licenses sold in in 2018 was 1,776,846, almost a million less than what that article shows. That’s really a small number when you look at the total population of the state. Sales of fishing and hunting licenses have been dramatically decreasing over the last 50 years even though the population has been increasing. For example in 1970 when our population was probably half of what it is today, California sold about 2,300,000 fishing licenses. So We have double the population and about 600000 fewer licenses sold.
    The stats are even worse for hunting licenses which won’t go into now.
    Total revenue in 1970 from fishing licenses was a little over $10,000,000. In 2018 it was around $66,000,000 with fewer licenses sold but at a much high cost. The number of hunting and fishing licenses is continuing down and the cost is going up.
    Basically if we want to see things improve we need to attract more people into the hunting and fishing fraternity. Unfortunately I don’t see that happening.
    Some additional information- in 1970 about 15% of the California population participated in fishing and/or hunting. Today a little less than 5% participate. With the urbanization and cultural changes in this state and across America hunting and fishing sports are slowly fading away.
    Last edited by Waterdog; 09-25-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks pretty close. One thing is it differentiate license holders from total licenses and tags. Looks like about 50% more licenses, tags and stamps than individual. Could be reading it wrong too.

I respectfully disagree about the fishing in the State. We have a huge variety of options that donít exist in a lot of places. Everything from So Cal Tuna to High Sierra Goldens. Many places are better for certain species, but few if any have the variety. Within 3 hours of home I can fish 10,000í lakes with trout, salmon, steelhead, stripers, sturgeon, world class bass, halibut, lingcod, blue ribbon native rainbows, double digit browns and lake trout.... Canít do all that in Alaska, Montana, Texas or Florida....

Toughest part is sharing the place with 40 million people, but Iíll take it over most other places.

Just my 2 cents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast