Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fall Run Swimbait/Lure/Topwater/Glide bait Discussion

Fun to try new lures................... The Ito 110...... Float, Suspend (FX) or max suspends (+1) model?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishstix024 View Post
    Top confidence baits:

S-waver 200 bone color

IMA BigStick pencil popper

DeltaWoodBomber Sinister 6"

Fav new baits and just fun to fish:

Hiroshima Shad 8" glide bone color

Deps SS250 glide Carp or trout color

Megabass Ito Vision 110 jerkbait clown or shad color

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBoardfox View Post
    You running all those on braid? or with 100lb flouro topshots? Pricey options would not want to lose any of those.

Haha! I run 65-80lb braid and a short 3-4ft leader of 30lb P-line flouroclear.

I try not to think about the baits and just let em fly!
    DELTA WOOD BOMBERS PRO STAFF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBoardfox View Post
    How many of you tie your topwater straight to the braid? I always have a 20lb leader off my braid. Is this necessary?
    DB
    If itís like ultra clear water, sure. I use 30-50# for leader. P line copoly if I actually am on a clear water river like The American. If I just want shock leader, I use 50# trilene big game mono. If you want really glidey action on like a waver, and you have a big enough reel for the yardage, 50# big game actually makes a pretty good main line. Glidebait fish stick really well with that straight heavy mono and you get really nice swimming action with straight mono.

Anywhere else, and especially topwater, I just go straight braid. In most cases, they arenít line shy fish.

4. Likes DBoardfox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How many of you tie your topwater straight to the braid? I always have a 20lb leader off my braid. Is this necessary?
    DB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dsa2780 View Post
    Those Trokar swimbait hooks are very thick gauge wire. One of my main rods is an irod 5-12oz and I pair it with a Komodo 364. If the fish is the right caliber, itíll peel drag. The smaller fish all make it to the boat or bank with ease on a locked down drag.

On my smaller rods, I for sure run normal drag pressure. The XL stuff, Iím usually maxed out. Just my personal fishing style.
    Right on! Thanks Dsa2780 great info, I will be trying it out soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cdub View Post
    My go to baits,

Sneaky Pete, bone
    3/8 under spin, with pearl swim bait
    DWB sinister 6

DSA2780 I defenitly will be trying the magunum fluke out!! I use 65# braid on all my rigs and tie direct, lose drag because you can start bending hooks real fast with heavy braid!
    Those Trokar swimbait hooks are very thick gauge wire. One of my main rods is an irod 5-12oz and I pair it with a Komodo 364. If the fish is the right caliber, itíll peel drag. The smaller fish all make it to the boat or bank with ease on a locked down drag.

On my smaller rods, I for sure run normal drag pressure. The XL stuff, Iím usually maxed out. Just my personal fishing style.

Post Thanks / Like

My go to baits,

Sneaky Pete, bone
    3/8 under spin, with pearl swim bait
    DWB sinister 6

DSA2780 I defenitly will be trying the magunum fluke out!! I use 65# braid on all my rigs and tie direct, lose drag because you can start bending hooks real fast with heavy braid!

Post Thanks / Like

Basstrix 4 inch paddletails in Pearl on a 3/8's oz blade runner weedless jig head for sub surface. Bone super spook for up top.

10. Likes cdub liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks @dsa2780 I will be trying those flukes. Tough for me to justify baits over 25 bucks a pop.
    DB

Post Thanks / Like

I just use 80# braid for bigger plugs. #65 or 50# for smaller.

Iíve found myself becoming really partial to the DEPS 175. I throw the 250 in the winter a lot but for general all season delta stripers, the 175 has proven itself to me time and time again. I like the old Japanese Bone/orange belly, flashcarp or clown work too.

Polar opposite end of the spectrum. Magnum pearl Fluke on a weighted 10/0 or 12/0 Owner beast or Trokar weedless swimbait hook. You can fish this combo from effectively the top of the water to down in that 10+ deep range. It is the ultimately so simple and cheap go to striper lure. With those beast or trokar hooks, you can really jack fish when you need to. I lean on fish really hard when I stick them, so I usually run 80# straight braid for this type of fishing. You should be fishing the flukes fast, like a fleeing baitfish, you will be surprised as to the level of savagery that theyíll come at these things. I usually just throw them out and sweep my rod, youíll feel the fluke vibrating, with that weighted swimbait hook, itíll skitter scatter all around the top of the water column but wonít come flying out, like if you fished it weightless. Hard to describe, but try it and play around with it. They are too cheap and effective to not fish.

Waver 168 is a good substitute for the deps. It has a better stall factor and hangs in the strike zone longer than some other abs plastic glides.

I really like the 8Ē savage gear glide swimmers as well. But they sink way quicker than the waver or deps. Good in some situations.

13. Likes Stickman, navydad2 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast