Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crabbing 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crabbing 2019

Quote Originally Posted by broken bonz View Post
    It it is my experience that crabs don’t care for freshwater fish, chicken and rockfish works great. As far as birthday dinner, hard to beat fresh crab no matter how you prepare it!
    Oh, we have plans on having fresh crab and hopefully grilling some halibut and steaming clams during our stay in a rental house on the water's edge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troutinator View Post
    My wife and I were stationed with the US Navy in Washington State back in the '90s and caught many Dungeness crab as it just seemed like they were everywhere. Here we are, living here in Central CA, both retired from the Navy and we have our sights set on visiting Tomales Bay on November 23-27 with 3 crab pots in hopes of once again bringing in some Dungeness. We have never been to Tomales Bay but have watched a few Youtube videos. We have a collection of crab bait piling up in our freezers to include raw chicken parts as well rockfish and trout heads and carcasses. In Washington we simply used salmon heads as we had no problems catching salmon up there. Unfortunately, we tried to catch some salmon two weeks ago in Sacramento with no luck. One question, though. Any good recommendations for a birthday dinner? This trip is to celebrate my wife's big 50.

It it is my experience that crabs don’t care for freshwater fish, chicken and rockfish works great. As far as birthday dinner, hard to beat fresh crab no matter how you prepare it!

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I were stationed with the US Navy in Washington State back in the '90s and caught many Dungeness crab as it just seemed like they were everywhere. Here we are, living here in Central CA, both retired from the Navy and we have our sights set on visiting Tomales Bay on November 23-27 with 3 crab pots in hopes of once again bringing in some Dungeness. We have never been to Tomales Bay but have watched a few Youtube videos. We have a collection of crab bait piling up in our freezers to include raw chicken parts as well rockfish and trout heads and carcasses. In Washington we simply used salmon heads as we had no problems catching salmon up there. Unfortunately, we tried to catch some salmon two weeks ago in Sacramento with no luck. One question, though. Any good recommendations for a birthday dinner? This trip is to celebrate my wife's big 50.

Post Thanks / Like

15#-20# is enough for that depth. Those traps should weigh that much.
    Last edited by Seon; 10-24-2019 at 02:00 PM.

235 Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

Post Thanks / Like

Question about the weight of pot. I have 4, new to me, pots that weigh 40lbs each on the scale. They are weighted with rebar. I fish mainly out of Bodega and usually in less than 200’ of water. Does that amount of weight seem excessive? I’m not sure my Scotty pot puller would like 40lb pots plus crab. 44D51BFB-C56D-4EFD-AE10-891F2DADF9C7.jpg
    2016 23’ North River
    250hp Yamaha SHO
    9.9hp Yamaha
    Lowrance/Simrad

Post Thanks / Like

Greggl, I didn't get a space but my buddy has a space at the RV site so I'll stop by to say hello to you and him.

WX permitting, I'll drop on Saturday and Rockfish while the pots soak.

I have two campsites at Bodega Dunes the weekend of the 16th with the kids and grandkids. I'll have them pull pots and hopefully catch lots of Rockfish.

7. Likes brokea--boater liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Way behind the 8 ball this year, I had to pull the engine to have the heads reworked. Since I have the right set up and room, it's way easier to work on by pulling the motor and have it on a engine stand. I got it back together and dropped the motor in today, tomorrow finish hooking everything up, sea trial maybe Friday or Saturday put some hours on it making sure all is golden. Seon I'll be back at the same Bodega Rv park again this year for the opening, Lisa still works so we'll be pulling out Sunday. Not going to do the mid night drop this year since we plan to fish during the soak. Lots still to do to get ready, sleep is over rated anyways,,,gregg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Try to drop away from Rockfishing beaten path that may attract poachers and your rope has 20% extra length to allow for big swells and your pots have at least 15# weights. You've selected good bait. Best of luck.

10. Likes Jjstemmer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi All,
    I'll be looking to launch out of Berkeley and head out the gate. . I have a Danielson and two EZ pull pots. I plan on baiting it with mackerel and squid.New to crabbing any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Less than 2 weeks away! Spent last weekend rigging pots, splicing lines, and painting/ marking buoys. Also busy getting all the lingcod gear together. Next weekend will be installing live bait tank and pot puller. Hopefully the wx will cooperate. 397BAB4F-44A5-4E34-BE91-7FD554675726.jpg
    2016 23’ North River
    250hp Yamaha SHO
    9.9hp Yamaha
    Lowrance/Simrad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast