Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: deep diving Yozuri help

I dig bait fishing but have a new boat and am looking fwd to trolling.

Post Thanks / Like

For me bait fishing is really exciting thing to do, I guess to each his own, what kind of fishing is enjoyable for u?

Post Thanks / Like

Update...

I finally put a few in the boat with the deep divers this Sunday - I now have a starting point on which to improve. Thanks to all that pitched in with information. It is much appreciated.

4. Likes RideNfish, usdreamer, Hookem2004 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Deep diving Yo-Zuris should be set-back 55-72' (inside rod shorter, mid & outside rods longer) at 3.5-5 mph in 12-16' water.

Use 30# braid main line, 36" mono leader.

Be sure to put a 5-6" worm on the center trailing teble hook.

Most striper trollers I know have been catching t
    he
    the majority of their fish deep
    rather than shallow trolling.

Good luck.

6. Likes SteelyMan, Hookem-up liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I am trolling it's usually for salmon, but I learned the trolling game hunting down stripers. As with most things, it's mostly preparation. Get some good maps of the Delta, or get on navionics web app and plan out your trip based on tides and wind the spots you want to target. Find stretches of water that provide a consistent depth to drift through and have the appropriate lures on hand for each depth. As for the weeds and grass, it's inevitable that you will be clearing salad off your lures. Try to run two rods (2 stamp rod needed) or have a couple buddies on board so that you can have multiple rods in the water. When I have 2 rods or more in the water I can check each rod more often while always having another one in the water ready to get hit. Hope this helps.

8. Likes Greybeard, RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seon View Post
    To be honest, after today I've kind of given up on Striper trolling. Weeds/debris have been really bad for the last several years. Not enjoyable for me. It's the pits having to drive 3 hrs to Bodega but at least it produces. Melones produces too but those Kokes don't give much of a fight. Bait fishing for me is like watching paint dry.
    Woe is me.....what am I gonna do .

WAIT! There's crabbing .
    I totally get it. Since I've taken up fishing again as an adult it has been a long time goal to figure out the Delta Striper trolling game. first two outings i went 2 fish then 10 fish. I basically spent most of my time reeling in and clearing debris from one line or another. But...when the clicker screams and the rod is doubled over I'm not sure there is a better feeling. I've done a lot of trout trolling and the feeling is similar, but not the same. I'm hooked.

10. Likes Paintguy, Seon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, after today I've kind of given up on Striper trolling. Weeds/debris have been really bad for the last several years. Not enjoyable for me. It's the pits having to drive 3 hrs to Bodega but at least it produces. Melones produces too but those Kokes don't give much of a fight. Bait fishing for me is like watching paint dry.
    Woe is me.....what am I gonna do .

WAIT! There's crabbing .
    23.5' Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

12. Likes TrackerDV17, Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tracker DV17 and I trolled Rio Vista today and were skunked.
    Bummer, I was looking for a place to troll this coming weekend.
    2018 Duckworth 235 Pacific Navigator
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

Post Thanks / Like

Tracker DV17 and I trolled Rio Vista today and were skunked. Too much underwater debris that keep the lines loaded.
    But the following might help you.

• Using the shallow YoZuris, Crystal Minnow, 5-1/4" lure, let out 140' of line and troll around 4 to 5 mph. The lure should run around 6' to 6-1/2'. Keep the boat in 6' to 8' of water.

• Using the deep diver YoZuri Crystal Minnow, 5-1/4" lure, let out between 50' to 100' covering the depth between 10' and 18'. More line out for the deeper water. Adjust your line out so you stay close to the bottom, touching it occasionally. Troll the deep divers around 2.5 to 3 mph. Don't be afraid to make line out adjustments as you troll.

Good luck

23.5' Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

15. Likes Paintguy, jjb, RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve never had that problem but here are a couple suggestions. Be sure your rod is not sticking straight up. Have it out to the side either parallel to the water or on a very slight angle upward. Try trolling against the current, that should raise your lure up a foot or 2. Speed up a little , 1 to 2 mph more.
    If the lure bumps the bottom occasionally that’s ok, that’s what you want. Check your lure often at first to check for weeds. Let us know how you do. Good luck, tight lines.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

17. Likes Paintguy liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast