Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advice on how to get into the trolling game...

A 4 stroke troll motor would be nice to have..... but

a new battery for that Electric troll motor would be a lot cheaper way to get down to .9 to 1.7 mph for kok's.

Down riggers are also nice to have but as mentioned.........
    leadcore and regular old lead weights from 3/8oz up to 3 oz. will get your gear to the fish.

The "Fish Finder" is the #1 unit that you will need to locate and catch kokanee.
    anything else is just improvements..............

Good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your awesome advice! For another question what would be your go to budget rod/reel for someone wanting to get into trolling for trout/koke?

Post Thanks / Like

Consider going out to the lake with an experienced troller who would be willing to show you the techniques. Much like going out with a guide, the experienced troller can shorten your learning period (though we all keep learning even after 60+ years of fishing). The veteran troller can demo the equipment he uses and explain why he prefers such and you can make a more informed choice. I started trolling in the early 70's with leadcore line spooled on a Penn 209MS and my 8' striper rod (a Garcia conolon 4 star.. wish I still had that rod). Trout fished Folsom, Caples, Berryessa, Ice House and Koke fished Bullard's Bar. My 12' Valco had a M. Wards 7.5 hp 2 stroke with a plate. My electronics consisted of a Lowrance flasher. Not the most efficient combination but it got me enough fish to keep me interested.

4. Likes compaddict liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Chamberlian downrigger release.
    That's all I have to say about that!
    Vince

Post Thanks / Like

When the money is available get yourself a 4 stroke kicker and some electric down riggers. In the mean time you can troll with lead core line. At least this time of year the lakes will be turning over and the fish will be in the top 20 feet. You can also use lures that like to trolled faster such as speedy shiners, needle fish and rapalas. They like to be trolled from 3 - 4 mph.

Good luck and congrats on fixing up the old boat for some family fun.
    2018 Duckworth 235 Pacific Navigator
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

Post Thanks / Like

We produce a ton of trolling content on our YouTube channel. There are literally hours of info on every aspect of trolling all of the waters of California for all species.

https://www.youtube.com/user/KelloggOutdoors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. Likes Cal1319, jjb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe look into some leadcore .. You can get down 20-30' with lead core no problem and the trout will start coming up in the top 10' pretty soon when the cold water down below makes its way to the top. Each color of lead core is 5' depth so you just let out 2 or 3 different colors of the line and you will be down 10-15'
    Or use an egg sinker before your leader and that will get you down some also. I used leadcore yesterday in the afterbay at about 20 ft down and we landed 4 fat steelhead. Love lead core, I leave my downriggers at home as much as possible. Kokanee tho you can catch them shallow also but they seem to be always under 40' somewhere .

10. Likes Cal1319 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys so much! Really appreciate all the feedback! When its time for a kicker I will definitely be going with a 4 stroke. At some point id like to upgrade the old 2 stroke as well. When it runs, it runs great... when it decides to play tricks its a real pain! Ill start looking for some downriggers and go from there I suppose! Im sure ill have alot more questions when I actually get to the fishing part! Thanks again everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

I just changed boats. I let my manuals go with my old boat and replaced with electrics. I don't want to sound like a prude, but manuals are a PITA. Especially if you don't have a boat that tracks straight without constant hands on the wheel/handle. Most boats shift direction when you move around. Wind, waves, and jerks in surf boats compound this. Constant leaning over the side for a significant amount of time can be a real pain.

If you want to get serious, and probably save an inevitable second purchase, go straight to the electric downriggers. Scotty's are the cheaper ones and are usually more positively reviewed, but they are all very nice. Until you get the knack of setting the line in the clip, you'll be hard pressed to not have the line come unhooked while loading up the rod when the downrigger weight is all the way down. Not such a big deal in the spring at 20ft, a MUCH bigger deal towards the end of summer at 70ft. Either way, you'll probably be cranking the ball up a LOT and it takes away from the enjoyment of it. I'd say at least a few times an hour. If you actually get good at Kokanee and catch 10 in an hour or 2, you may get where you're spending more time cranking then anything else. Additionally, anyone who isn't a "I LOVE FISHING, rain, shine, catch or no catch" kind of person is not going to enjoy the cranking part of it.

Start checking for used electric's now and through the winter. Use SearchTempest to check additional areas. Also, check online for new. I ordered mine from Hodges Marine in Florida. Great prices, free n fast shipping, and no tax. Honestly, not much more than a used price. Unlike most fishing equipment, downriggers hold a significant portion of their value in the used market.

If I was on a strict budget I'd opt for electric downriggers and buckets initially. An electric, remote controlled (Xi5), bow mounted trolling motor with enough juice for 8hrs would be my next purchase.

Good luck!

13. Likes Cal1319 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Only problem is some old 2 strokes don't want to idle all day.
    A used 8 or 9 hp 4 stroke is sweet on idle. Them 2 strokers stink to
    after a couple hrs you can taste it.

I'd go with the 4 stroke kicker, if you had a 4 stroke main then yes, trolling plate no question.

just my 2 cents,, worth 1 cent.

15. Likes jjb, Cal1319 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast