Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advice on how to get into the trolling game...

Ditto what others have said about the trolling plate.

As for downriggers, you could buy manuals to save money but if you get serious, you'll wish you would have spent the extra dollars and got electrics. Food for thought: unless you are young or have a teenager, cranking a manual downrigger up from 50-100' all day long while trying to reel in a fish can be a real pain.

Have heard lots of anglers say "I had manuals and switched to electrics" but I have never heard "I bought electrics and switched to manuals."

2. Likes Cal1319, Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on the trolling plate. Money-wise a trolling plate and a couple used manual downriggers are the best bang you can get. Not much you can’t do with that setup. Bungee the steering wheel straight and used the electric on bow to steer your direction and you can maneuver with the best of em. A 5 gallon bucket off each back corner will work too, but they get in the way.

My grandfather had the same boat with a 15 hp kicker and it was a fishing machine. Wish I had it. I’ve owned boats worth 10 times what that was, but can’t say they fished any better. Cooler, faster, more comfortable yes, better - not really. Best boat you’ll ever own is the one you use the most.

Be sure to post reports.
    Last edited by fishwrong2; 10-12-2019 at 11:46 AM.

4. Likes SteelyMan, Cal1319, Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We had a kicker and went back to a trolling plate. Much less weight and I can get out of trouble easy with the bigger engine. We have the plate with the spring loaded safety.

We use Scotty DR with great success and zero failures.
    Good luck!
    vince

6. Likes SteelyMan, Cal1319 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Need advice on how to get into the trolling game...

Hey Everyone! So I need some advice... My wife's farther recently gave us his old (1982) 16ft ski barge. I spent last winter rebuilding the whole boat and had fun fishing for bass on it this summer. I would (my wife included) would like to get into trout/koke fishing. As I dont have the funds to get everything all at once id love for your feedback. Right now the boat as a 1982 70hp motor... at idle in gear it still pushes it too fast from what i read is the right trolling speeds so I can drag bucket/get those trolling bags to help slow it down. I also have an electric trolling motor that I can use for a bit till the battery dies. Eventually id love to get a little kicker.... and some down riggers. What would you spend your money on first? I think i can at least start to play with trolling if i get a pair of down riggers and try to slow the speed down with buckets. As Im new to this I know there will be a steep learning curve! Thanks guys!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123