Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: G. Loomis Rod Questions

Quote Originally Posted by R Shackelford View Post
    Hey thank you, I fish almost exclusively small freestone creeks, long casts are not required but accuracy is. The creeks I fish are densely overgrown from July until around now with lots of low branches and often the only cast I can do is to point the tip of the rod straight at the ground and flick my lure out, not possible with a longer rod. Short rods are what I'm used to and just work best for me under the circumstances. I have tried longer rods but they always seemed unnecessary and awkward for the task at hand.
    In your case shorter rods make perfect sense. Unfortunately I have no experience with the rods you list. Hopefully someone else will jump in with an opinion.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

2. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog View Post
    Welcome to the FishSniffer boards. Good first question with lots of detail (many posters are lacking in details). I haven’t used any of the rods you are asking about but I have a question for you. Why are you looking at such short rods? I’m wondering if you wouldn’t be better off with a 6’ to 7’ light or ultralight rod? What type of water do you usually fish - lakes, ponds, rivers, streams?
    Also fish throwing hooks while using barbless is just the nature of the game. A different rod may or may not help with this .
    Hey thank you, I fish almost exclusively small freestone creeks, long casts are not required but accuracy is. The creeks I fish are densely overgrown from July until around now with lots of low branches and often the only cast I can do is to point the tip of the rod straight at the ground and flick my lure out, not possible with a longer rod. Short rods are what I'm used to and just work best for me under the circumstances. I have tried longer rods but they always seemed unnecessary and awkward for the task at hand.

4. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the FishSniffer boards. Good first question with lots of detail (many posters are lacking in details). I haven’t used any of the rods you are asking about but I have a question for you. Why are you looking at such short rods? I’m wondering if you wouldn’t be better off with a 6’ to 7’ light or ultralight rod? What type of water do you usually fish - lakes, ponds, rivers, streams?
    Also fish throwing hooks while using barbless is just the nature of the game. A different rod may or may not help with this .
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

6. Likes Jetspray, BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

G. Loomis Rod Questions

I am currently looking at the IMX Classic Trout & panfish model in 5' (SR6010 IMX). I am also considering their Trout Series rod in 4'8" (TSR560S-1) and the St. Croix Avid 4'6" rods. I am looking for a rod that's soft yet not to the extreme where they're like fiberglass rods. I am currently using an Ugly Stik Elite and find it too stiff for my taste and find that trout throw a lot of my small barbless hooks(#8-6). I fish primarily with small spoons 1/16-1/8oz and the occasional shallow running crankbait like a floating Rapala in the same weight category. Most of the trout that I catch fall in the 10-16" range however occasionally I get very lucky and get a 20-22" trout, it's rare but it does happen. I use 6lb braid with a 4lb fluoro leader in moving water with very sharp hooks so hook setting power is not an issue. Can someone with some experience with higher end rods please let me know if the IMX will suit my needs? It is the one that really appeals to me most. I hate how the grips look on the trout series but the fact that the model number also ends in 0 tells me it should be similar is "softness" to the IMX. I would really like them ranked 1-3 softest to stiffest if someone could, I realize it's an unlikely ask but it's worth a shot. Thank you very much to everyone that made it this far in my very long message but I like to give as many facts as I can if asking for help/advice. I would love to try before I buy however that's just not possible where I live, I cannot find anywhere that carries even one of these models closer than 2.5hrs away and then they only have 2/3 with the 3rd being the IMX :(

8. Likes Jetspray liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12