Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sacramento Area

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sacramento Area

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfishforbigguy View Post
    Mark, what beach are you going to? I'm usually over at Sand Cove, but wanted to try Miller. Once sun come up, I'm the fat in a straw hat.
    Bigfish...I sent you a PM on 11/7.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Drifter View Post
    No offense meant by the stats Mark1 - I thought others may find it interesting like I do. Personally I don't think there are any truly "wild" fish left - those genes were diluted decades ago. What we are really left with is progeny of in-river spawning vs. hatchery spawning. If you sense anyone getting riled up over your claim that you caught a "wild" fish, it may be because it can send the wrong message to the uninformed masses that there is a self-sustaining run of truly wild fish on the Sac system and they need to be "protected," when in reality those fish have been inter-breeding with hatchery fish for generations. You can't build multiple dams and destroy 90% of the spawning habitat on a river system then expect to have a self-sustaining "wild" fishery. Anyways...you see the rabbit hole that the "wild" fish issue can create, which is why people tend to jump on this topic when someone refers to a Sac River Salmon as "wild." For those of us that follow this debate in other states such as WA and OR, we have seen the chaos the wild fish zealots can create, and we want to be very clear that the Sac system, with its multiple dams, water diversions, and almost complete destruction of spawning habitat is an entirely different animal than what they are dealing with up there. Apples and oranges...
    And actually, CDFW does not clip the adipose fins on all salmon like they do with steelhead. In fact, the five California hatcheries that produce fall-run Chinook only mark about 25% of the fish they release. This means that even if an adult’s adipose fin is intact, it could still have come from a hatchery...

The only reason, they clip the fin on those 25% is because those are the fish which had coded wire tags embedded in them at the hatchery prior to being released as a smolt.

This is why the creel census folks ask you if they can whack and stack the heads off your adipose-clipped salmon after they take measurements and ask you for your targeted species, duration of time fished and zip code...

The CWT is later extracted from the head of the fish and data is collected, analyzed and stored for research purposes.
    Last edited by steeliesNstripers; 11-09-2019 at 01:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, what beach are you going to? I'm usually over at Sand Cove, but wanted to try Miller. Once sun come up, I'm the fat in a straw hat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    Thanks for the report
    The report from Miller of a 30lb Salmon is great, big ones still coming up. Can't explain the guy running to his car after catching his fish. Probably didn't have a license, it was a steelhead or snagged, maybe didn't have a stringer, could be a number of things but strange. I fished off shore early this morning until 11am, got to my spot still dark. Four of us started out fishing, on the 2nd cast at 0620, still kinda dark a guy next to me caught a nice 13lb Salmon. A few other guys show up and at about 9am when the incoming started, a very chrome 15lbr was caught. With 7 of us there, another guy caught a 24lb buck after a long fight at about 10am, fish was turning slightly red. So three hook ups for 7 guys. About 30 min later all of a sudden 5 other guys show up. Haven't seen that many guys there recently b/c they mostly stopped fishing for Salmon or have gone for stripers but here they were. It was like mid Sept again. Like I reported from the 2 previous days of a handful of us catching and Salmon spitting hooks, there's still action, though I can't report on the boat scene. Salmon still coming up, get out there while the weather is good. Fish On!
    Last edited by Mark1; 11-06-2019 at 03:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfishforbigguy View Post
    Most everyone skunked today at Miller Park from shore or boat. Saw one guy 100yds from me get one one in the net, grab his stuff and run to his car. Fish stayed in the net. Super weird. Only fish anyone saw all day..well, till 1pm when I had to go. Guy caught a 30lbr from shore at Miller on Sunday
    Thanks for the report

Post Thanks / Like

Most everyone skunked today at Miller Park from shore or boat. Saw one guy 100yds from me get one one in the net, grab his stuff and run to his car. Fish stayed in the net. Super weird. Only fish anyone saw all day..well, till 1pm when I had to go. Guy caught a 30lbr from shore at Miller on Sunday

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troutinator View Post
    So, there are still opportunities to boat a salmon if I was to drive up there next weekend and troll spinners? Is that the best option first thing in the morning and throughout the day? I'm still new at Sac salmon fishing and this would be my second and last trip to Sacramento this season. Thanks.
    I think there's still good oppurtunities from a boat to troll spinners, Brad's, Silvertrons, kwik fish, jigs and more. I like early-mid mornings, incoming tide but you can get them anytime thru the day. I fish on the Sac off shore using Flying C's/Blue fox spinners, so others here can fill you in better on what to use in a boat. The water is about as good as it will get, about 59* or so. The sediment isn't as bad w/cooler water. Fish seem to bite more w/cooler water. Mostly sunny 68*-78* next 15 days, no wind. Might rain a little 11/22 and on. I was with 4 guys yesterday off shore, a few others down river a bit. A fisherman next to me lost 2 Salmon, another guy lost a fish after I left, sucks when that happens. This morning, 2 fish landed about 10lbs each and 2 came off, better action than late Aug. The fall run is ending and some fisherman have giving up..but they're still in there with the late Salmon fall run starting. Come on up while the weather is good. Good luck!!
    Last edited by Mark1; 11-06-2019 at 04:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Congrats on getting into some nice fish. Don't worry, you made the old Honkster's day. I think I saw him yell about politics on a coffee thread the other day. Seems he aint happy, unless he aint happy.....

Keep up the reports.
    That's funny and I can see him not happy on that thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on getting into some nice fish. Don't worry, you made the old Honkster's day. I think I saw him yell about politics on a coffee thread the other day. Seems he aint happy, unless he aint happy.....

Keep up the reports.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. I’m headed out to the Sac tomorrow trolling spinners all day. Last time out (last week) I picked up 2 to total 31 pounds while a local guide who was not trolling spinners got skunked. It’s been the year of the silvertron for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast