Post Thanks / Like

Re: Moon phases and tides

I don't do as well fishing when the moon is full. And the hunting isn't as good either.
    2018 Duckworth 235 Pacific Navigator
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

Post Thanks / Like

If the fish are there, you can catch them regardless of flow or tide. The trick is finding them and then being able to put your lure right in front of their face.

I fish areas that have a tidal influence and have found that it is easier to troll (leading to more success for myself) when there is an incoming tide: speed going up or down the river is similar, allowing me to keep my lure more consistently in the zone I want it at. Often trolling on an outgoing tide, when going down river, you are going so fast your lures go right over the top of the fish and going up river can be difficult when using a weighted lure with the current speed changing and slowing you down. In this condition, using a kwikfish or plug might be a better option since the diving lure's depth is more consistent and not as affected by the current when compared to a weighted lure. Because of this, I prefer to jig during an outgoing tide (or go home) since the fish tend to bunker down in holes or areas, making them easier to target with a vertical presentation.

As for moon phases, all it does in the tidal zones is effect the amount of water coming in or out. A full moon or new moon period has a huge high/low height difference. Salmon speed in during these periods because the increased flows tells them to get up river and spawn--#1 reason the Moke uses pulse flows during late Sept into October. Plus, knowing how big or small the tide is will usually allow an angler to predict what weight is needed based on that influence before heading out, if using a spinner.

No idea how salmon react to the moon higher up in the system that is beyond the tidal influence. Hopefully someone else has experience with that.

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking as a bank fisherman. I have found that the moon phases definitely effect the catch rate. If the moon is showing 90% visible then then I don't seem to get as much attention. I mean its different for everyone, like I said just my experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Often wondered the same thing myself but not sure we'll ever have an answer. Too many other variables like water flows, barometric pressure, water temp, etc.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

5. Likes Shot-Gun liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can tell you that on the American River, whenever there is a full moon, the fish might move upriver all night long (1:00 - 5:00 am), and stop moving by sunrise. I have seen this happen many times.

Post Thanks / Like

Likely puts more fish in the system, which increases your chances
    Fisher of men first, fisher of fish second.

Post Thanks / Like

Moon phases and tides

Chasing salmon in the Sacramento/Feather/American rivers , do moon phases and or tides make a difference on catching Salmon in the rivers? Obviously they aren’t feeding once they hit fresh water. Some say they move with the tides but if they are in the river not many places to go but upstream. My thought is time on the water and if it’s in front of their face and they are willing , they will smack your offering no matter what moon or tides.
    Thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk