Post Thanks / Like

Re: Truckee (River) Area Tips?

Truckee to Reno has lots of special reg's..................

be safe and just use a single barbless hook and you should be safe..........
    did I mention the C&R , 0 limit areas ?

Good luck.

2. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    SET THE HOOK!!!!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by burninfuel View Post
    camo required, keep low and hide as much as you can
    big fish everywhere, if you don't hook-up then you were moving tooo fast and exposed yourself.
    3-4# fish are usual east on hwy 80 near usa parkway is in the middle of zone, start at sparks area into the canyon and work down river.
    Many guides use it in drift boats, put in at sparks east edge and work down to pullout at patrick ave. 2 trucks to work it well
    sssshhhhh!!!!!!

4. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Camo required, keep low and hide as much as you can
    Big fish everywhere, if you don't hook-up then you were moving tooo fast and exposed yourself.
    3-4# fish are usual east on hwy 80 near USA parkway is in the middle of zone, start at Sparks area into the canyon and work down river.
    many guides use it in drift boats, put in at sparks east edge and work down to pullout at Patrick Ave. 2 trucks to work it well

6. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yell0wshirt View Post
    Planning on heading up to Truckee tomorrow and then another work trip in mid November and I want to try and sneak my fly gear in up with me if I can sneak away after some meetings.

I've never fished the truckee river, but it looks like the only area to really fish is off of Highway 89?

Any tips on places where I could potentially park to get out and fish? Any tips on flies or nymphs would be great.

I'll be staying in the Northstar area near truckee, but I'll have my car if I can get away.

Thank you for the help!
    I've only ever fished the I-80 side (never SR-89)...there is a decent amount of access off of the Glenshire Road, Hirschdale Road, and there are parking areas at the Floriston offramp and the Farad offramp (this is all on the CA side). There are also spots where you can park off of I-80 itself but I'm not sure how closely regulated they are.

I've never caught one of the monsters in the river that you see on the various websites, but I've had the most success fishing sub-surface, usually a two-nymph rig under an indicator. Usually something big and heavy on the point like a beadhead stonefly and something small on the dropper like a baetis.

Good luck!

8. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've only fished the Truckee once for a bit on the way to fish Pyramid. But there are quite a few places to fish right along I-80. Look at satellite images along the freeway and you can see where cars pull off and in some places drive down by waters edge. Also along Glenshire Dr heading east out of Truckee has a bunch of spots. As you know, check on regs. I know they change when you pass certain bridges on that very road.

Let us know how you do.

Cheers,

10. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Truckee (River) Area Tips?

Planning on heading up to Truckee tomorrow and then another work trip in mid November and I want to try and sneak my fly gear in up with me if I can sneak away after some meetings.

I've never fished the truckee river, but it looks like the only area to really fish is off of Highway 89?

Any tips on places where I could potentially park to get out and fish? Any tips on flies or nymphs would be great.

I'll be staying in the Northstar area near truckee, but I'll have my car if I can get away.

Thank you for the help!

12. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post