Post Thanks / Like

Leaders and low water

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    I am just guessing that these gentlemen with 6-8 pound leader tippets.......................
    have not ever fished the small waters of the little Truckee river, before.

There are times when a #14 Dry landing on the water is like a B-29 crashing.....
    and all the trout scatter for cover !!

In some Brookie waters, I now have to toss a tiny #22 dry to not scare most of these little jewels.
    Back in the 70's a size 12 would work, just fine.
    Well I do believe fluro leader diameter is smaller than the diameter of the same poundage of mono. So no need for 2 lb test. I also fished little creeks like the little truckee and the much more pressured putah creek. No need for 2lb leader material unless you’re fishing for tiny brookies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leaders and low water

I am just guessing that these gentlemen with 6-8 pound leader tippets.......................
    have not ever fished the small waters of the little Truckee river, before.

There are times when a #14 Dry landing on the water is like a B-29 crashing.....
    and all the trout scatter for cover !!

In some Brookie waters, I now have to toss a tiny #22 dry to not scare most of these little jewels.
    Back in the 70's a size 12 would work, just fine.

3. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robertash20 View Post
    I dont want to drop below 4lb over. i think most rivers in the area have 5l-7 lb fish in them. you have no control past 4 lb line and its game over. 2lb line is a no go i neber fish below 5x tippet on bigger rivers
    This is the time of the year you are most likely to catch larger bows and browns in the little Truckee. 5x is the heaviest you’ll need unless you’re fishing bigger flys like 12 and larger. If you fish a small fly like a #18 or #22 on 4x your fly may not float naturally and fish will not take your offering. You should be fine with 5x or 6x. The little Truckee is a small stream, you don’t need heavy rods (nothing heavier than a 5wt) or heavy line.

Here is a report on the little Truckee by Truckee Mountain Hardware from September 2019 (I don’t see a more recent report). Let us know how you do. I think it’s pretty doubtful you’ll catch a 5lb plus trout there but if you do I’d love to see a picture before you release it. Tight lines.
    The flows here are a little above average for early fall. The heavy fishing pressure here, however, is also above average for this time of year making fishing difficult. The dry fly fishing will remain good through mid-day as the cooler water from the bottom of stampede keeps bugs active. The main hatches have been BWO’s, PMD’s, Midges and Caddis in the early evening.
    FLOW
    79 CFS

RECOMMENDED
    9-10 Ft. 3-5 Wt. Rod with a 9-12 Ft. 5-6x Leader.
    Flys: BWO’s, Midges, PMD’s, Caddis,
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

5. Likes yell0wshirt, Mr Ed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont want to drop below 4lb over. i think most rivers in the area have 5l-7 lb fish in them. you have no control past 4 lb line and its game over. 2lb line is a no go i neber fish below 5x tippet on bigger rivers

Quote Originally Posted by jjb View Post
    Anywhere where you’re over playing a fish.

7. Likes jjb, Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    Interesting.........................

Could you tell us the equipment and the location and type of trout,
    where killing fish using a 2lb fly line tippet, took place?

I do want to keep from harming any trout.
    Anywhere where you’re over playing a fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjb View Post
    Fluro is fine. No need to drop it down to 2lb test. You’d wind up killing fish by over playing them. Stick with 6-8 lb fluro. If you’re not getting bit it’s most likely not your line.

Interesting.........................

Could you tell us the equipment and the location and type of trout,
    where killing fish using a 2lb fly line tippet, took place?

I do want to keep from harming any trout.

Post Thanks / Like

The Little Truckee is one of my favorite small streams. Leader and tippet is is primarily determined by size of the fly. I doubt your tippet (leader) will spook the Little Truckee trout. Use the proper size leader and tippet based on the size of your fly and if you are concerned with the leader spooking the fish go ahead and use fluro.
    The most important thing on the Little Truckee is the proper fly. It is truly a hatch driven small water. The evening hatch is often selective surface feeding. I do great there with dry fly’s (depending on the hatch, I am 90% a dry fly fisher).
    Stop by Truckee Mountain Hardware and they will help you out with leader and fly selection. Good bunch of guys in the little fishing department and very knowledgeable.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Leaders and low water

Fluro is fine. No need to drop it down to 2lb test. You’d wind up killing fish by over playing them. Stick with 6-8 lb fluro. If you’re not getting bit it’s most likely not your line.

Post Thanks / Like

I land Pyramid trout on 4 lb test.................................

Give 2 pound a test in mono for some streach and lighten up that drag system.

Even in the moss, you can still pull in some big trout if you take your time and the
    little hooks stay in place.

Make your own or try a factory 7X to see if you like it, c/o 16 to #24 flys.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Mr Ed; 10-28-2019 at 05:11 PM.

13. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Leaders and low water

Was on the Little truckee this weekend. As the water gets lower and more clear the fish are more spooky. Whats everyone run for their leaders? mono? Fluro? I dont want to drop below 4lbs because of the idea of big fish and the more i fish the less I think Fluro is as invisible as the line companies mention it is! Thoughts!!!