Post Thanks / Like

Re: Eagle Lake last weekend

If anyone is interested, I have several never used Jay Fair trolling flies that I would like to sell. I fished Eagle Lake over a 25 year period back in the 80's and 90's and Jay's flies were one of my main go-to trolling lures. They worked great at Almanor too. I don't get up to those lakes anymore and I need to sell the flies. I have them in the best color patterns and will sell them for $2 each. I can send photos. Email me at lizron@comcast.net

2. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've only fished Eagle in the summer or very early fall. My technique is simple but has produced one limit and several three-fish days (two of us licensed, in the boat) Once went home with eight trout, but they were 1.5 - two pounds each. But my favorite Eagle lake story came over Labor Day weekend, 2003.

We flew up (I've never driven there) and camped, as usual, in the median between the runway and the ramp.

Years before, George, the woman half of George and Rudy couple that owned the now defunct Eagle Lake General Store (George died in 2008, I believe) gave me the most effective technique. She said, tie a #8 snelled hook to my line. Then, put a nightcrawler on a bait-securing hook. Flip open your bail (on a spinning reel) and let the worm sink of its own weight, Leave the bail open and let the line slip out. If it stops pulling, you're on the bottom, try again. But if line starts zinging off your reel, you've got a fish on.

They swallow the hook, but you're meat hunting up there, as it's put-and-take. In 90 minutes, using only this technique and 4'6" UL rods and UL reels (4-lb test), we limited out. It was us, tackle, ice chest and one box of night crawlers. Oh and life jackets, of course. Average fish was 3.5 pounds. Great limit!!!

Guys on bigger, more expensive boats, bristling with EXPENSIVE gear. I'm talking 40K boats with multiple fish finders, downriggers, beepers and boopers, bells and whistles, wrecking the quiet. We had nothing, yet we limited out in 90 minutes. We were impressed with ourselves and laughed as the guys on the spendy boats were cursing, asking loud enough to hear across the water, "How the f-k are they doing that?" Yeah, the lubbers limited out.

Next time I'll have my Garmin Striker 4 to tell me where the trout are, and where the chub are not.

Since the drought first started (it's still the same today), Eagle is pretty much a put and take lake. The water's so alkaline the trout are struggling a bit, though I've heard Eagle was BACK this year, which is great news, indeed. Still put-and-take, though.

I love Eagle, but I'd probably never fish there in a float tube - too much strong wind. Need a boat.
    Last edited by BrotherWilliams; 11-25-2019 at 10:34 PM.

4. Likes Hookem2004 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if anyone has seen this video on Jay Fair and his flies that he developed for Eagle Lake. Not saying that you need his flies to catch fish up there, but I'm a true believer of local guys at their rivers and lakes. And Jay seems to know his stuff regarding catching fish at Eagle Lake.

I use the "action disc" in front of the flies instead of his circle technique because I'm running multiple rods.

https://www.trollingflies.com/jay-fair-trolling-flies-1
    2018 Duckworth 235 Pacific Navigator
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

6. Likes hooks, steeliesNstripers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Eagle Lake last weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Hookem2004 View Post
    I was there in mid October and trolled red, orange and yellow flies at the same depth you used and had limits as well all four days. The fishing is great up there now. I put a small action disc in front of the flies and had better success with the red flies.

I'm headed back up there next weekend.
    That is the bomb for the lake. I was able to get some flies from Val that worked, but small grubs have always given me luck there along with the lures they sell at the Marina or at the Spaulding store. Colors matter there as well at the Thermocline......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

I was there in mid October and trolled red, orange and yellow flies at the same depth you used and had limits as well all four days. The fishing is great up there now. I put a small action disc in front of the flies and had better success with the red flies.

I'm headed back up there next weekend.
    2018 Duckworth 235 Pacific Navigator
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

9. Likes burninfuel, Stickman, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Eagle Lake last weekend

Great report an the fact that Spaulding in open again is great. Have not been there in a couple of summers myself.....Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Eagle Lake last weekend

Fished Eagle Lake Friday afternoon through Sunday. Got to the Spalding ramp at 3 pm Friday -- to find it iced over!?! Saw that someone had launched, so we put the Rogue Jet 21 Coastal in the water and backed out -- pushing a 20 x 20 foot sheet of ice! Got to the main lake and it was windy, but we caught 2 beauties at 21 inches each and fat.
    Saturday it was 25 degrees in the morning, but warmed up to 60 in the afternoon, with no ice at the launch. We caught 8 on Saturday and 6 on Sunday -- all on orange or yellow trolling flies at 7 feet deep off the downriggers at 1.8 mph. One was only 14 inches, all the rest ran from 19 to 22 -- one of the 22 inchers weighed 4.5 pounds on my scale. Most fish caught at the north end by Pelican Point and the Youth camp. Eagle Lake is Back!!