Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mildred Island catfish

Quote Originally Posted by sendogg View Post
    4 yrs ago I was bank fishing at mossdale one morning when I started seeing a few dead catfish floating downriver. Didnt really thought too much of it until more and more were coming down. One came close to shore where I picked it up and notice that only there bellies were eaten. Then I saw the culprits. 2 freaking sea lions where just tearing these catfish up all morning. For 2 hours I watched these guys go back and forth just catching them and only eating there stomachs. After that day, Ive been back 4-5 times n Ive never caught more then 1 a day. For the last 2 yrs catching a 2lb catfish in the delta is almost consider a trophy.
    I heard the same type of story from a guy trolling near Decker Island. He had noticed floating catfish as him and his son were trolling up river. They then saw the culprit. Each catfish had a bite out of the belly.

Post Thanks / Like

4 yrs ago I was bank fishing at mossdale one morning when I started seeing a few dead catfish floating downriver. Didnt really thought too much of it until more and more were coming down. One came close to shore where I picked it up and notice that only there bellies were eaten. Then I saw the culprits. 2 freaking sea lions where just tearing these catfish up all morning. For 2 hours I watched these guys go back and forth just catching them and only eating there stomachs. After that day, Ive been back 4-5 times n Ive never caught more then 1 a day. For the last 2 yrs catching a 2lb catfish in the delta is almost consider a trophy.

3. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hitide View Post
    For many years my family and friends have fished the Delta all around the Mildred Island area. Our routine was usually chasing stripers and then we would anchor up and catch a few catfish to add to our fish fry. However; each we've tried it in the last couple of years, there are no catfish to be found. We are all scratching our heads because they were always so easy to catch in the past. It is very puzzling for them to just disappear. If anyone knows the reason for this, please let me know. I was raised in the valley fishing all the rivers and lakes, and catching catfish was not a problem. I heard reasons ranging from the seals got them, to they have died due to the spaying of the delta weeds. If you know the answer, let me know.
    Was just thinking the same when I crossed paths with this thread.

Catfish are pretty hardy. I surmise the habitat has changed such that their food has either been reduced or killed or moved out to more hospitable areas. The catfish are on the upper end of the food chain, and the food chain has collapsed, so they are not going to stay "home" when there is nothing in the pantry to eat.

If you think about it, the other fish at the upper end of the food chain doesn't matriculate to parts of the delta that it once did just 15-20 years ago. These fish go where there is food. They adapt.

All just my $.02 No scientific data to back up my theory.

5. Likes Waterdog, cdub liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mildred Island catfish

For many years my family and friends have fished the Delta all around the Mildred Island area. Our routine was usually chasing stripers and then we would anchor up and catch a few catfish to add to our fish fry. However; each we've tried it in the last couple of years, there are no catfish to be found. We are all scratching our heads because they were always so easy to catch in the past. It is very puzzling for them to just disappear. If anyone knows the reason for this, please let me know. I was raised in the valley fishing all the rivers and lakes, and catching catfish was not a problem. I heard reasons ranging from the seals got them, to they have died due to the spaying of the delta weeds. If you know the answer, let me know.

7. Likes Waterdog, cdub liked this post