Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: West Coaster 152 by Klamath recall

I had been seriously considering buying a used one of these, but after seeing the "fix", I have to cross this model off of my list completely. I hope owners are able to demand a better fix from Klamath. This also makes me worry about whether the 16 EXW model meets coast guard requirements.

Post Thanks / Like

Does every year of this boat receive the same exact fix? I had been considering picking one of these up on the used market as they come up occasionally, but these giant floatation boxes really affect the usability of the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paintguy View Post
    The float pods are pretty interesting. Are there any negatives to these things besides 2 boxes that you're not used to seeing back there? Seems like quite a few advantages for someone that needs more clearance, etc.
    I don't know. Just seems like they might be a viable alternative to boxes of foam on the floor. One thing that occurs to me is I don't know if those float pods are typically filled with foam. That would be needed to address the flotation issue. Anyway, it is just a thought for a potential solution. But I will admit it is way out of my expertise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
    I wonder if float pods might be a solution. I see them used a lot on jon boats. I don't know why they couldn't work on that style boat but am not an expert.
    The float pods are pretty interesting. Are there any negatives to these things besides 2 boxes that you're not used to seeing back there? Seems like quite a few advantages for someone that needs more clearance, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

If 120 of this model were sold that would easily be over $2M out the door!

I don't know if Klamath has insurance that would cover this issue but it might easily put them out of business or into bankruptcy.

No wonder they're balking on refunds or upgrade discounts.

They probably have their attorneys scrambling for solutions.

I wonder what the laws / rules are for recall fixes when they completely change what you bought?

Good luck to all of you and please keep us posted on your outcome!!!

Mike
    Last edited by TrackerDV17; 01-12-2020 at 01:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I asked about other fixes. Kinda of told them they took the easiest fix for them, no response to that comment. I am going to take a couple of more dqys to think about my options. I might be in for a group fix with an attorney, but most class action suits only make money for the attorneys. Might be better for a few of us to hire our own attorney. Better if one of us was already an attorney.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if float pods might be a solution. I see them used a lot on jon boats. I don't know why they couldn't work on that style boat but am not an expert.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seon View Post
    Kalmath should be able to remove the deck and shoot foam then re-install the deck. Not hard to do.
    I had the floorboards off when I first got the boat. The bilge is already loaded with foam.

The boat fails "Level Floatation" test. It should float level when swamped. It probably floats bow-up from weight of the motor. To correct this, floatation needs to be added at the back hence the boxes at the back of the cockpit. If there was a simple fix like blowing in some foam, Klamath would have done it.

The boat builder self-certifies their boats to meed USCG requirements. The CG does audits to keep them honest.

Klamath got caught with their pants down and now 120 Westcoaster customers are getting screwed. We should fight back.

I wouldn't be surprised if other models have the same issue. The 16EXW is a similar hull design and there are no boxes on it.
    Last edited by Kamakalama; 01-10-2020 at 07:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Kalmath should be able to remove the deck and shoot foam then re-install the deck. Not hard to do.

Going the Legal route may seems the way to go, however it'll be a long hard battle between lawyers and hiring a lawyer won't work without dollars up front and every time you call them for an update is "billable hours" .

I give no advise just presenting a different view.
    Best of luck.

235 Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

Post Thanks / Like

In early December I submitted a consumer complaint (I'm not allowed to post a link) to the Washington State Attorney General. The complaint names the dealer (Defiance Marine in Bremerton WA and Klamath Boats).

The Washington AG won't force a resolution but does pursue a formal response and responds to me with options. (Not sure what they can do with an out of state company). In some cases they do take the matter further. I'm hoping Klamath might take the issue seriously when the state is involved.

So far, Klamath has not responded but the dealer did respond with the following email
    We are aware of Mr. Orlando’s concerns with regard to the Klamath Boat that he purchased that was built by them. We are no longer a dealer for this manufacturer of boats but have been working to try to help Mr. Orlando taken care of with regard to this matter. We continue as always to advocate on his behalf but unfortunately we are limited in what we can do to resolve his concerns due to our limited business dealings with this manufacturer. This dispute however will have to be resolved between the manufacturer and Mr. Orlando as we do not have any workable solutions for this matter that will appease both parties. As always we stand ready and willing to assist should Mr. Orlando reach an agreement to either repair or replace this boat with Klamath Boats regarding this matter.

The Washington AG is giving Klamath until Jan 20 to respond then will send me an update.

When the process is complete, if Klamath is still stonewalling, I'll hire a lawyer to begin a lawsuit.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast