Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trolling the Sac River for Stripers

Quote Originally Posted by Skypig View Post
    I don't know that any of them go that deep. I use a shallow diving lure with a dropper weight to get it down there.
    Kind of what I figured, find a nice area in Sac with to many stripes and want to work harder on them than just sardines.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve95841 View Post
    What lure would I troll to get to 19'?
    I don't know that any of them go that deep. I use a shallow diving lure with a dropper weight to get it down there.
    Taking off and flying is easy, it's the landings that will kill you.

Oh Yeah!...Salmon!...Everything else is just practice.

Post Thanks / Like

What lure would I troll to get to 19'?

Post Thanks / Like

People do it and whack them really good. Old school trollers around Clarksburg start showing up when the river falls into shape after winter rains around March. Shallow divers along the various rip rap walls is all I’ve seen them do. Used to be a guy who would troll the rock walls down from Hood quite a bit and he would usually be getting quantity of fish on ratltraps.

IMO, people don’t troll this stretch, or really fish it at all, save for bait dunking every now and then because of the lack of visual stimulation. It all looks like a big ditch to the casual glance when you’re driving up or down highway 160 between Freeport and Vierrras.

A lot of this probably has to do with articles and such from many years ago, to this day that talk about how this stretch is pretty lifeless and the fish only use it as a highway. The rip rap walls and shady tree lined banks have their unique characteristics that differ from the rest of the NorCal rivers and lower delta. The fish for sure use it as a highway, but life doesn’t stop, they still are in there and hold up in areas for periods of time.

Give it a shot a few times and keep a record of what happens. Might be some gems in that stretch.

5. Likes radoncraft, salmonid, cdub, Waterdog, Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess if trolling worked that far up river, there's no reason it would not work in the downtown area. I thought maybe there was some issues trolling these areas because of the varying depths of the river. It seems that it's easier to keep your lure in a more specific depth range in the delta by working closer or farther from shore. The river does not seem as condusive to this.

Good point about the guides. They're going to do what puts fish in the boat, and others will see and follow.

I've done some trolling in the past in the Antioch area using a shallow diving Bomber and a splitter with a dropper weight like what's used for salmon. I found I could get the lure on the strike zone quite effectively in a wider depth range.

I'm thinking of trying this out locally since the varying depths are less of an issue with the dropper keeping the lure near the bottom, and Garcia, Miller, etc. are so much closer than the delta.

I think you’ve got the same idea I do. You’re right to point out it being tough to troll close to the bottom in deeper areas. You’re not going to catch many fish trolling 10-12’ deep in 30’ of water. The trick gets to be trolling at 12-15’ contour off the bank which isn’t easy to do with boat traffic, bank anglers and the random discarded shopping cart to deal with. That said there is a lot of water out there to explore and putting in time I’m sure you could dial it in. I think of it a different kind of challenge as opposed to dropping lines and trolling for 5 miles eating a sandwich, not that I don’t enjoy that too, it’s just a different thing.

Good luck

7. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Growing up, trolling Rebels and Bombers for stripers in the Colusa area was standard practice in the spring. Same techniques surely work in between. There are fewer stripers in the river this time of the year than in the Delta which is why I think more folks concentrate there, but there are always a few fish in the river, and some of the nicer grade fish too.

I think it's also a function of the fad of the day. Techniques evolve as folks try new things. Drifting minnows as an example, works great and picks up a lot of smaller fish, so I think things have evolved that way by the guides wanting as much action as possible for their clients, and the rest of the crowd follows along, myself included. Glide baits is another one that few were doing in years past (Although I remember seeing Pencil Poppers in the shops 30 years ago, so it's not all new).

Despite new techniques, the old ways still work. Post a couple pics of 20#ers trolling the Sacramento area, and I bet you see a lot more of it. Just my 2 cents.
    I guess if trolling worked that far up river, there's no reason it would not work in the downtown area. I thought maybe there was some issues trolling these areas because of the varying depths of the river. It seems that it's easier to keep your lure in a more specific depth range in the delta by working closer or farther from shore. The river does not seem as condusive to this.

Good point about the guides. They're going to do what puts fish in the boat, and others will see and follow.

I've done some trolling in the past in the Antioch area using a shallow diving Bomber and a splitter with a dropper weight like what's used for salmon. I found I could get the lure on the strike zone quite effectively in a wider depth range.

I'm thinking of trying this out locally since the varying depths are less of an issue with the dropper keeping the lure near the bottom, and Garcia, Miller, etc. are so much closer than the delta.

9. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Growing up, trolling Rebels and Bombers for stripers in the Colusa area was standard practice in the spring. Same techniques surely work in between. There are fewer stripers in the river this time of the year than in the Delta which is why I think more folks concentrate there, but there are always a few fish in the river, and some of the nicer grade fish too.

I think it's also a function of the fad of the day. Techniques evolve as folks try new things. Drifting minnows as an example, works great and picks up a lot of smaller fish, so I think things have evolved that way by the guides wanting as much action as possible for their clients, and the rest of the crowd follows along, myself included. Glide baits is another one that few were doing in years past (Although I remember seeing Pencil Poppers in the shops 30 years ago, so it's not all new).

Despite new techniques, the old ways still work. Post a couple pics of 20#ers trolling the Sacramento area, and I bet you see a lot more of it. Just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone troll for stripers in the Sacramento river, say around Garcia Bend, or Clarksburg? I see lot's of folks using bait, so I would think the fish are there.
    I know everyone trolls the delta, but haven't heard of it much upriver.
    If not, why?
    My neck of the woods, hoping for good info.

Post Thanks / Like

Trolling the Sac River for Stripers

Does anyone troll for stripers in the Sacramento river, say around Garcia Bend, or Clarksburg? I see lot's of folks using bait, so I would think the fish are there.
    I know everyone trolls the delta, but haven't heard of it much upriver.
    If not, why?
    Last edited by Skypig; 11-18-2019 at 01:01 PM.

13. Likes Paintguy liked this post