Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weather forecast: difference between wind waves and swells, please help

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_Hooks View Post
    here's what you wouldn't want to see

PZZ130 West Entrance U.s. Waters Strait Of Juan De Fuca- 854 Am Pst Thu Jan 2 2020
    .small craft advisory in effect through late tonight...
    Today..S wind 5 to 15 kt becoming se 20 to 30 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft building to 3 to 5 ft in the afternoon. W swell 15 ft at 16 seconds subsiding to 13 ft at 15 seconds in the afternoon. A chance of showers in the morning then rain in the afternoon.

Tonight..S wind 20 to 30 kt. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. W swell 12 ft at 14 seconds. Rain.

Fri..SE wind 25 to 35 kt easing to 15 to 25 kt in the afternoon. Combined seas 13 to 15 ft with a dominant period of 13 seconds. Rain.
    Fri night..S wind 20 to 30 kt becoming sw 15 to 25 kt after midnight. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. W swell 15 ft at 12 seconds.

Sat..W wind 15 to 25 kt becoming sw 15 to 20 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves 2 to 4 ft. W swell 15 ft at 13 seconds.
    Sat night..SW wind 10 to 20 kt becoming S 15 to 25 kt after midnight. Wind waves 2 to 4 ft. W swell 14 ft at 13 seconds.

Sun..SW wind 15 to 25 kt easing to 5 to 15 kt. Wind waves 2 to 4 ft subsiding to 2 ft or less. W swell 12 ft building to 16 ft.

Mon..S wind 5 to 15 kt becoming 10 to 20 kt. Wind waves 1 to 3 ft. W swell 13 ft subsiding to 10 ft.

I might go out to the point just to see this event
    Juan De Fuca, been there done that, ON THE USS NIMITZ! I was stationed on the USS Nimitz in the 80's and we would spend 6 months overseas on that 1,000 ft+ nuclear carrier and as soon as we would reach the entrance to the Strait of Juan De Fuca, we new we were home, because the way that 90,000 ton ship would rock. Yeah, good swells in those waters.

Post Thanks / Like

here's what you wouldn't want to see

PZZ130 West Entrance U.s. Waters Strait Of Juan De Fuca- 854 Am Pst Thu Jan 2 2020
    .small craft advisory in effect through late tonight...
    Today..S wind 5 to 15 kt becoming se 20 to 30 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft building to 3 to 5 ft in the afternoon. W swell 15 ft at 16 seconds subsiding to 13 ft at 15 seconds in the afternoon. A chance of showers in the morning then rain in the afternoon.

Tonight..S wind 20 to 30 kt. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. W swell 12 ft at 14 seconds. Rain.

Fri..SE wind 25 to 35 kt easing to 15 to 25 kt in the afternoon. Combined seas 13 to 15 ft with a dominant period of 13 seconds. Rain.
    Fri night..S wind 20 to 30 kt becoming sw 15 to 25 kt after midnight. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. W swell 15 ft at 12 seconds.

Sat..W wind 15 to 25 kt becoming sw 15 to 20 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves 2 to 4 ft. W swell 15 ft at 13 seconds.
    Sat night..SW wind 10 to 20 kt becoming S 15 to 25 kt after midnight. Wind waves 2 to 4 ft. W swell 14 ft at 13 seconds.

Sun..SW wind 15 to 25 kt easing to 5 to 15 kt. Wind waves 2 to 4 ft subsiding to 2 ft or less. W swell 12 ft building to 16 ft.

Mon..S wind 5 to 15 kt becoming 10 to 20 kt. Wind waves 1 to 3 ft. W swell 13 ft subsiding to 10 ft.

I might go out to the point just to see this event

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troutinator View Post
    Our decision was easily decided by Saturday that Tuesday was probably not going to be a good day for a small boat. Larger charter boats went out and now I see that there was actually a "small craft advisory" warning for the area. Whew, that was a great decision on our part. Now, just have to wait until April to get my rockfish itch taken care of.
    Sorry the weather didnít cooperate, but thatís the game. Read somewhere about being partners with the water. Not to fear it, but respect what it has to offer. It wasnít available to fish that day so say thanks and Iíll catch you next time. Iím sure it was written much more eloquently than that, but it runs through my head sometimes. Doesnít change much other than smooths my own frustration sometimes.

The other thing is itís not fun. Fishingís normally tough, it beats up fisherman and gear, and just isnít relaxing and rewarding. Kind of like going out to dinner when the wifeís mad at you. Ya, youíll probably survive it, but do you really want to?

I should probably stop giving advice. Hope it works out better next time.

4. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

your boat doesn't have that much freeboard.....maybe 18"....

winds below 10 and swells less than 4' at 10 seconds plus seconds interval would be all I would consider and I've got some time off bodega. Add wind waves of any kind, coming at opposing directions and things get like a washing machine....somebody has to be at the helm all the time.....paying very close attention

When the swells are "squared"...4 at 4, 6 at 6 and so forth....you sit in your truck and watch....don't even consider 6' swells with the amount of freeboard you have....of course I'm super cautious...and 74

your best time will be 2-3 foot swells at 12-15 seconds.....dead flat calm

Listen to Seon....he has a bit of experience with swells
    Last edited by Rusty_Hooks; 01-01-2020 at 04:29 PM.

6. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Not sure I can give you aĒgood definitionĒ, but the best I can come up with is to separate the two.

Imagine no wind or waves in a lake. Now do the same on a lake with a 15mph wind that generates 2í tall waves. Iíd consider that uncomfortable but probably not unsafe. Wind waves over 3í are out for me. Thatís the wind wave element of the report.

Next picture the ocean with no wind or chop, but a 5í tall swell that goes by every 10 seconds. Thatís ten seconds from top of one swell to the top of the next. Thatís the 5í at 10 second swell portion of the report. Again, Iíd consider this uncomfortable but not unsafe. Some folks use a ratio of 2:1 period to height as a guide between doable and not.

When you add the two together it compounds the movement you see in the boat. You may see 7-9í difference in height and rather than a smooth rhythmic motion itís a chaotic movement. Swell going down with wind wave coming up under power causes the bow to dip. Probably worse is a swell coming up from behind and a wave slapping the transom.

What is safe is a judgement call. Best advice I would have is go out with a buddy boat and get a feel for yourself. Boats can take a lot more than folks think, but the consequences of losing power, getting hung up in debris, or the random 4 footer mixed in with the 2 footers can be awfully high.

My general thought is if itís questionable, itís not fun so why push it. Save that margin for when a nice day gets snotty, not for when a questionable day turns dangerous. My 2 cents.
    Our decision was easily decided by Saturday that Tuesday was probably not going to be a good day for a small boat. Larger charter boats went out and now I see that there was actually a "small craft advisory" warning for the area. Whew, that was a great decision on our part. Now, just have to wait until April to get my rockfish itch taken care of.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure I can give you aĒgood definitionĒ, but the best I can come up with is to separate the two.

Imagine no wind or waves in a lake. Now do the same on a lake with a 15mph wind that generates 2í tall waves. Iíd consider that uncomfortable but probably not unsafe. Wind waves over 3í are out for me. Thatís the wind wave element of the report.

Next picture the ocean with no wind or chop, but a 5í tall swell that goes by every 10 seconds. Thatís ten seconds from top of one swell to the top of the next. Thatís the 5í at 10 second swell portion of the report. Again, Iíd consider this uncomfortable but not unsafe. Some folks use a ratio of 2:1 period to height as a guide between doable and not.

When you add the two together it compounds the movement you see in the boat. You may see 7-9í difference in height and rather than a smooth rhythmic motion itís a chaotic movement. Swell going down with wind wave coming up under power causes the bow to dip. Probably worse is a swell coming up from behind and a wave slapping the transom.

What is safe is a judgement call. Best advice I would have is go out with a buddy boat and get a feel for yourself. Boats can take a lot more than folks think, but the consequences of losing power, getting hung up in debris, or the random 4 footer mixed in with the 2 footers can be awfully high.

My general thought is if itís questionable, itís not fun so why push it. Save that margin for when a nice day gets snotty, not for when a questionable day turns dangerous. My 2 cents.

9. Likes Stickman, RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just looked at Morro Bay forecast for the 31st.

https://www.windy.com/35.377/-120.86...65,9,m:eD6acNI

Wind Speed 9-10 kts, Gust to 17 kts
    Swells 9' @ 12.5 sec.

WX is subject to change so check on Sunday and again on Monday to see if it settles down.

If it doesn't improve then for me, I'd stay home.
    Last edited by Seon; 12-28-2019 at 08:54 AM.

235 Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

11. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use windy.com and concentrate on the swells and duration along with the wind speed.

To me, waves doesn't matter just as long as the wind is less than 10kts so white caps.

I'll go out on my 235 Duckworth Navigator in 6' @ 12 sec or longer.
    I won't go out with 7' swells regards of duration... I stay home and save 3 hr drive each way.

WX at Morro Bay today:

Wind 4 kts, Gust to 10 kts thru-out the day
    Swells 6' @ 15 sec.

That's do-able in you 18' Crestline, however, depending on skipper experience, all wearing PFD and a VHF. Cell phone may not have service at any particular location.
    Last edited by Seon; 12-28-2019 at 08:45 AM.

235 Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

13. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Weather forecast: difference between wind waves and swells, please help

.TODAY...N winds 5 to 10 kt, becoming NW 10 to 15 kt in the
    afternoon. Wind waves 2 ft or less. NW swell 6 to 8 ft at 15
    seconds.
    .TONIGHT...NW winds 10 to 15 kt in the evening, becoming variable
    10 kt or less. Wind waves 2 ft or less. NW swell 6 to 8 ft at 15
    seconds.

OK, this is the forecast for Morro Bay, a place I've been launching my 18' Crestliner at several times this past year. However, a couple of times after traveling 2 hours to the coast, I've discovered the swells and chop on the water was too much so I'd turn around. Now, I'm looking for a very good explanation as to the difference between a wind wave and swells that are, say, 6 to 8 ft at 15 second intervals. In other words, what is too much for a boat my size? I plan on fishing on the 31st, but only if the weather forecast is good. Thanks.