Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommendations for sturgeon guide

Good luck. Hope it is informative and you get into a few. Lots to be learned about a unique and diverse fishery.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we looked around and texted a few guides and made our decision based on availability, getting our own private charter and the veteran discount was a big plus. We are going out on January 18 based on outgoing rides that morning.

Post Thanks / Like

I fished with David Hammond (Delta Pro) a couple years ago. I would recomend him highly

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think they keep any fish. Catch and release only!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redneckpunk View Post
    There are a lot of good guides out there that will put you on fish. Gate Crashers, Golden State Sportfishing, Righthook, to name a few. Its a matter of speaking to the Captain, telling them what youre looking for as far as learning and finding out how much info they are willing to share while on the water. Some guides are an open book and full of info and answers to your questions. Others are more interested in just putting clients on fish and getting their job done.

My personal recommendation, because I have fished with him for sturgeon and salmon and hes been a wealth of knowledge and info, is Captain David Hammond with Delta Pro Fishing. Just my opinion

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks for your opinion and everyone else's recommendations. Just looking for some first hand experience to sort of weed through the dozens on the web.

Patron Saint of Forum Moderators redneckpunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of good guides out there that will put you on fish. Gate Crashers, Golden State Sportfishing, Righthook, to name a few. Its a matter of speaking to the Captain, telling them what youre looking for as far as learning and finding out how much info they are willing to share while on the water. Some guides are an open book and full of info and answers to your questions. Others are more interested in just putting clients on fish and getting their job done.

My personal recommendation, because I have fished with him for sturgeon and salmon and hes been a wealth of knowledge and info, is Captain David Hammond with Delta Pro Fishing. Just my opinion

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Wrap the roe with a mesh or nylon then tie it off with some elastic thread. The roe will last awhile and wont fall apart in the current or during the cast. Plenty of how to videos on YouTube.
    2018 Duckworth 235 Pacific Navigator
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

Post Thanks / Like

I do know they fish with salmon roe in the bay, for the river I used whole anchovy and half hitched it up the line so the hook was exposed, (remember no barb and only one hook no wire leader no snare ) I know roe does not last very long in the river because of the current. I also put a few split shot near the hook and a swivel because they the dino like to roll after hooked. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven’t fished with any personally so I won’t make a specific recommendation, but there are quite a few that are good. Quick google search should yield some. The Sportsman’s Expo is coming up in Sacramento in a couple weeks, and that’s normally a good chance to speak with a few in person.

One thing I will recommend is if your budget allows, chartering one of the six pack boats will allow for more of an educational opportunity than jumping on a boat with other guests. If you let the captain know ahead of time that you’re interested in learning the area and sturgeon game it will help. Once you’re on board if you can get across that you’re a conscientious sportsman and not just looking for his fishing hole it tends to get folks to open up more too. It’s a big system and figuring out why you’re fishing a given spot at a certain part of the tide, etc. is more informative than simply getting a set of gps numbers.

Good luck. It’s a fun fishery.
    Last edited by fishwrong2; 12-29-2019 at 04:13 AM.

10. Likes Seon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Id go with Capt Zack of Gate Crashers fishing charters.

https://www.gatecrasherfishing.com/
    2018 Duckworth 235 Pacific Navigator
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

12. Likes pointemdown liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast