Post Thanks / Like

Re: My December bass fishing

Time to buckle down and work on organizing tackle, respooling reels, sharpening hooks, and just kill time 'til spring. It's just around the corner!
    Always Be Casting! - The mantra of an obsessive angler
    Fishing Sites: Fishdex | Fishing Knots | Fishing Slang

Post Thanks / Like

John, don't feel bad, I've been to Folsom two times in the last week and have not been hit. The bait and fish have disappeared. Even worse than duck season!!!!!! Whalonem

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that excellent fishing report and tips.
    I've got to work on drop shoting this year.
    Sounds exciting.

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing in the cold "Winter" waters is one of the hardest times to catch a bass, do to their BMR being
    the slowest, compared to the "Summer" times when the water can reach the high 80's or more.

A Bass in 45 degree water can live on ONE minnow for a week............. before it needs to feed again.

Thanks for the report and the new gear that works better for you, for us to try out.

Nice to see that this year is starting out well for you.
    Tight lines.

Post Thanks / Like

My December bass fishing

I got out 7 times in December and averaged about 12 bass per trip. 90% of those bass were caught on a drop shot in a shad type color. Most of my fish were 25-35 feet deep on rocky points. I tried a few new things or at least new to me. First thing that I liked a lot was the Flirt worm by Reaction Innovations. It doesn't necessarily get more bites than a Robo worm or a KVD Dreamshot worm but they last a lot longer so you can land more fish per worm. Next order to Tackle Warehouse I will order more Flirt worms.
    The next big change for me is using a baitcaster about 30-40% of the time. The reason I rigged a baitcaster is my right arm cannot take a full day of using a spinning rod and using a spinning rod in my left hand just doesn't feel right or at least not yet. I took a very sensitive 3 weight 7' baitcaster rod that fishes more like a 2 weight rod and spooled 150' of 8 pound Sniper fluorocarbon on it. I had to go to 1/4 ounce dropshot weights to be able to cast it at all but I am actually decent with it now. No line twist issues with running straight fluorocarbon so that is a plus.
    I have not been able to find any really large schools of fish this winter like I have in other cold water conditions. Most of the time if I work an area 15 minutes with no bites I move on. When I do get a few bites that is usually it, I might get 2-3 fish per area but rarely 4 or more. In prior years in the cold water months I could sometimes get way more than that in one area. The largest fish (meaning fish over 16") seem to be the shallowest fish and usually only one fish per point.
    This year (2020) is starting out about the same since I landed 15 bass yesterday with the best fish about 17 inches long. It is much faster to just measure length than to weigh a fish.
    One other observation is the bite seems to be better after 10 am and sometimes the bite at 2 pm is the best bite of the day. I assume that on a sunny day the fish are moving up a little to warmer water and feeding. Water has been 46-48 in the morning and 54 degrees by the afternoon.

6. Likes TrackerDV17, zipperman, Katch, radoncraft liked this post