Post Thanks / Like

Re: Did the 20-hr service, boat not peeing water

Quote Originally Posted by tejanopirate View Post
    The barrel idea worked!!!!!! And my new fishing license came in the mail yesterday. Now to get the boat out to do some fishing.
    Terrific! And then there was much happiness!

I got my license the other day too, but can't use it because I'm laid up with this clunky brace on my foot. No big deal from a medical perspective. It is just driving me nuts. But come mid-February, trout better watch out. Haha.

Post Thanks / Like

The barrel idea worked!!!!!! And my new fishing license came in the mail yesterday. Now to get the boat out to do some fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

And, while we are at it . . .

If you are using those square or rectangular muffs, I had it on good authority as well as personal experience to replace them with round ones.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a Honda 30 for 10 years so hopefully this info will help.

There are actually three holes where water comes in: two where you see the plastic water intake holes (where you put the muffs) and one under the anti ventilation plate. Either fully emerge the engine in water, use the muffs and put a piece of tape over the third hole to keep pressure up or buy the screw in port adapter to run it at home. Guessing not taping the hole or not enough water going in could be your problem.

If you last fished a lake that had debris in the water, the pee hole might be blocked by a pine needle or something else. Either take the top off and disconnect the rubber hose to see whatever is in there or use a 2” long thin round piece of metal to probe the hole.

If none of that works, might need to take it to a shop.

My mechanic told me the impeller needs to be changed every 200 hours, 100 hours if in water with lots of sediment or debris or just to be safe.

Good luck and enjoy the engine. Just make sure to always run it out of gas, while in the water, to clear out the three carbs.
    Last edited by Snowtrout; 01-04-2020 at 08:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Before doing any mechanical action, be sure the pee hole is clear. It is common for insects to plug the pee hole when the boat is sitting for a while. Run heavy mono, such as string trimmer line through the pee hole to be sure it is not just plugged.

Post Thanks / Like

After an impeller change, it may take several minutes before it starts to pee.
    As Ldubs suggested, submerge your lower unit in a barrel.
    Last edited by Seon; 01-05-2020 at 05:46 AM. Reason: sp

235 Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar experience with ear muffs. If you can and before you pull the gear case again, put it in a barrel or some container. Make sure the water level is above your impeller and try again. If you try the ear muffs again, bend the steel clamps together so you get a better/tighter fit (if they have plastic clamps toss them). Of course shut it down if it doesn't start peeing immediately.

Post Thanks / Like

If you dry fired it with the new impellor it could be broken. All I did was turn the engine over a few times but a brand new impellor is dry and can break. I did that once years ago so I got to replace the impellor twice in one week. If the impellor is not broken and it probably is not, your pee stream is probably clogged by an insect building a nest in the exit hole. You can check that by removing a hose on the engine or however else the water gets to the pee indicator. The pee indicator is not the majority of the cooling water it is just a small stream to show pressure. Watch a You tube video on your engine to see how to unclog the pee stream. My Suzuki is different than my Mercury. The Suzuki is prone to getting the pee stream clogged. Don't know how Honda plumbs the pee stream indicator.

9. Likes tejanopirate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did the 20-hr service, boat not peeing water

Hello all,

I have a Honda BF30 on my MacGregor and did not want to tow it down to the dealership (an hour+ away) just to change the oil, spark plugs, and impeller for my 20-hour service. I did this service about 5 months ago, and have not restarted the motor since then. I finally decided to go out and do it now, since I am on vacation until Monday.

Here's the thing, the boat is about 30 yds from the house in a car port that we've built. I ran a hose, with ear muffs, to the boat. The motor started right up and ran just fine, but is not peeing water out the piss hole on it. To the best of my knowledge, I put the impeller in the same way the old stuff came out (paid attention to direction, etc). Could it be a water pressure issue? Or should I just go ahead and pull the lower unit and put in a new impeller?

Cheers,

Nate