Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: is this a steelhead or what???

Pretty fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RideNfish View Post
    Important to know... what did it bite? Ha!
    European Night Crawlers .

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gbslade View Post
    If you caught it on the Mokelumne River downstream of Camanche Dam and it is 16” or longer, you must report it as a steelhead on your steelhead reporting card. Regardless of science, that’s the way the regulations work. If it’s adipose fin is intact, it’s wild. Otherwise hatchery. By the photo, I’d say it’s wild.
    It`s nice to know that the Fisherman that care about steelhead are Educating me on regs Thats I know about . Im not one that fishes . plays Stupid whether it be understanding English or the fishing regs , and Even if I did play stupid . Its my Responsibility to know them if I`m fishing in any Stream in California. But Thanks for the support of outreach for the steelhead!!! (That was MY broken Italian English!!)

Post Thanks / Like

A few similiar wild resident bows from various central valley rivers

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5. Likes CDK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a healthy resident bow. However, since it is over the length for reporting, you would have to report it on the steelhead card. That is not sea run and in rivers like the Moke, there is a healthy population of trout like that. Been fishing that river and others like it for years. Nice catch

7. Likes CAL.NDN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

is this a steelhead or what???

If you caught it on the Mokelumne River downstream of Camanche Dam and it is 16” or longer, you must report it as a steelhead on your steelhead reporting card. Regardless of science, that’s the way the regulations work. If it’s adipose fin is intact, it’s wild. Otherwise hatchery. By the photo, I’d say it’s wild.

Post Thanks / Like

Important to know... what did it bite? Ha!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MtnFisher View Post
    As you well know a steelhead is simply an anadromous rainbow trout. The only reliable method to determine if your rainbow trout is a true steelhead would be to have its otolith removed and tested by a fish biologist for its maternal origin and migratory history.

From what I was told a trout's otolith will collect trace elements of salt water if it ever migrates into salt water. The otolith test was explained to me by a well respected water law attorney a few years ago and the owner of Fishbio out of Oakdale confirmed the same.

From April Vokey's Steelhead blog:

"Steelhead have otoliths or “earstones” in their head between the ears and behind the fleshy part of their brain.
    An otolith is solidified calcium carbonate that serves as part of the hearing and balance system in fish. This calcium carbonate is primarily derived from water and, as its host grows older, new calcium carbonate crystals form allowing trace elements of water to bind with the otolith (causing layers to develop).

All of this composition and build-up play a very important role for biologists.
    From the otolith, a scientist is able to determine the age of the fish and the properties of water bodies that fish have previously occupied. In addition to being able to determine the specifics of the river system each fish has visited, the otolith plays a key role is showing how long a fish spent in both fresh and salt water. It also identifies individuals who’ve returned to freshwater to spawn more than once."

End of quote.

Source: http://www.aprilvokey.com/blog/2014/...teelheadfacts/

So if your moke guide is confirming steelhead thru visual identification then he's not using a very reliable method. Visual identification of central valley steelhead is considered quite ancedotal.

Here's some reading enjoyment on CA Central Valley steelhead and how resident rainbow trout are distinguished from steelhead using analysis of otolith microchemistry:

https://alaska.usgs.gov/products/pub...l_TAFS_138.pdf

Probably a bit more info than you asked for but some fishing guides are full of chit so to speak.
    Still like my Pike minnow Love analogy ...

11. Likes Bankie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefanoflo View Post
    Moke river steelhead . Was confirmed by a steelhead guide i emailed that fishes the moke river

it had me perplexed as well. Never caught one with those colors. Thought it got mixed up with a pike minnow . You know love does that at times .
    As you well know a steelhead is simply an anadromous rainbow trout. The only reliable method to determine if your rainbow trout is a true steelhead would be to have its otolith removed and tested by a fish biologist for its maternal origin and migratory history.

From what I was told a trout's otolith will collect trace elements of salt water if it ever migrates into salt water. The otolith test was explained to me by a well respected water law attorney a few years ago and the owner of Fishbio out of Oakdale confirmed the same.

From April Vokey's Steelhead blog:

"Steelhead have otoliths or “earstones” in their head between the ears and behind the fleshy part of their brain.
    An otolith is solidified calcium carbonate that serves as part of the hearing and balance system in fish. This calcium carbonate is primarily derived from water and, as its host grows older, new calcium carbonate crystals form allowing trace elements of water to bind with the otolith (causing layers to develop).

All of this composition and build-up play a very important role for biologists.
    From the otolith, a scientist is able to determine the age of the fish and the properties of water bodies that fish have previously occupied. In addition to being able to determine the specifics of the river system each fish has visited, the otolith plays a key role is showing how long a fish spent in both fresh and salt water. It also identifies individuals who’ve returned to freshwater to spawn more than once."

End of quote.

Source: http://www.aprilvokey.com/blog/2014/...teelheadfacts/

So if your moke guide is confirming steelhead thru visual identification then he's not using a very reliable method. Visual identification of central valley steelhead is considered quite ancedotal.

Here's some reading enjoyment on CA Central Valley steelhead and how resident rainbow trout are distinguished from steelhead using analysis of otolith microchemistry:

https://alaska.usgs.gov/products/pub...l_TAFS_138.pdf

Probably a bit more info than you asked for but some fishing guides are full of chit so to speak.
    Last edited by MtnFisher; 01-12-2020 at 09:53 PM.

13. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Moke river steelhead . Was confirmed by a steelhead guide i emailed that fishes the moke river

it had me perplexed as well. Never caught one with those colors. Thought it got mixed up with a pike minnow . You know love does that at times .

15. Likes MtnFisher, bigfin liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast