Thread: managing wind?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: managing wind?

Quote Originally Posted by Icastnblast View Post
    This year I've decided to try and catch a dino. I've made it out twice in the past few weeks launching out of brennan. Both days it was perfect on the drive out but once on the water the wind was strong at least 10mph. I would spend the vast majority of time trying to find spots protected from wind in deep enough water and marking fish. That was no easy task. Seems like every spot I'd set up in Id find the boat to constantly be swaying around dispite the 2 buckets tied off out the back. My boat is a hewes ProV 180 and I have to keep the soft top fully up since the kiddos are on board, this doesn't help either in the wind. Having never fished sturgeon before but understanding the importance of recognizing the soft bite I feel trying to fish in the wind is useless. Am I correct or are there some tricks on dealing with wind?
    u can try using two anchors-1 up current and the other sideways to pull your boat into the wind. If u have a kicker motor, putting it in reverse helps too.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve used a stern anchor with some success. It’s obviously not ideal, but in a case of wind opposite tide it can be the only way to fish effectively.

A couple of tricks are that you need extra bow anchor rope. Anchor the boat first, release extra line, drop the stern anchor and then pull back up on the bow anchor to where you would normally be. Have a float for the stern anchor so you can release it quickly and retrieve it later. Most importantly, be prepared to cut the stern anchor if necessary. Anchoring a boat from the stern can sink a boat, so be sure you can get clear of it if the bow anchor pulls loose, or some big wake comes along.

With those precautions it can be the only way to stop swinging enough to fish. If you hook up you can pitch the stern anchor. If a fish does get wrapped up, you have a chance to work though it. Not ideal, but more exciting than swinging in the wind.

Just another tool in the box if needed.

3. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Btw, years ago wife and I have caught Dinos right at the Powerlines area on the Sac River just below Rio Vista. That area is pretty well sheltered from the wind. I haven't fished Dinos since regs switched to barbless hooks, charged for the stamp and must be netted.

235 Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

Post Thanks / Like

You can try drift socks but not much you can do with winds over 10 mph. If winds are about 10 mph or above, I don't go.

Post Thanks / Like

Use this site for wind and swell conditions. It's pretty close to being accurate....closer than the TV weathermen tongue.gif .

I check this site and a couple others for comparisons when fishing out of Bodega. As you mentioned, not fun fishing on windy days.

https://www.windy.com/38.066/-122.01...20,9,m:eIBacLN

235 Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

Post Thanks / Like

managing wind?

This year I've decided to try and catch a dino. I've made it out twice in the past few weeks launching out of brennan. Both days it was perfect on the drive out but once on the water the wind was strong at least 10mph. I would spend the vast majority of time trying to find spots protected from wind in deep enough water and marking fish. That was no easy task. Seems like every spot I'd set up in Id find the boat to constantly be swaying around dispite the 2 buckets tied off out the back. My boat is a hewes ProV 180 and I have to keep the soft top fully up since the kiddos are on board, this doesn't help either in the wind. Having never fished sturgeon before but understanding the importance of recognizing the soft bite I feel trying to fish in the wind is useless. Am I correct or are there some tricks on dealing with wind?