Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scotty electric downrigger

Quote Originally Posted by Seon View Post
    I have four Scottys and contemplating removing two because most "guests" I've taken weren't familiar in operating them. There were times they'd snap the lines, losing the weights, etc. I don't like stacking. So as a trial run for this up coming Salmon season I'm leaning towards "guests" bringing 2-1/2 # balls with quick release or deep divers chingas.

and no, the two Scottys are NOT FOR SALE at this tme .
    Seon- I do the same in our boat when we fish 3-4 guys. Ball rods are much easier to manage for novices. Plus, we had two days last season when the ball rod dramatically out-fished the downrigger. In fact, one day at Bodega last summer, the ball rod caught all 5 keepers for 3 guys despite running similar depths.

When the fish are running really deep (150-200), we will run ball rods just in case there are a few strays running shallower and just rotate ‘turns’ on the deep rods.

We use divers a ton in Alaska since it’s not practical to fly in a ton of lead, particularly when the coho and humpys get thick and you might catch 20-40 fish per day. We’ve run them down to about 75’ using 40# braid, but when it gets crowded off of Marin or Bodega, the long drop back could become a problem if guys aren’t paying attention, particularly when crossing or trying to make tight turns.

To the OP’s original question, I prefer Scotty electrics, largely due to the free-fall down vs power down canons. The power drain is substantial and needs to be managed, especially if running an electric trolling motor from the same batteries or without a gas motor recharging your primary battery.

Running 12-15# weights, 100’ deep or more will hammer your batteries if you get in to a good bite, particularly with Kokanee where you may be raising and lowering the ball 20x.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes CRABBY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have four Scottys and contemplating removing two because most "guests" I've taken weren't familiar in operating them. There were times they'd snap the lines, losing the weights, etc. I don't like stacking. So as a trial run for this up coming Salmon season I'm leaning towards "guests" bringing 2-1/2 # balls with quick release or deep divers chingas.

and no, the two Scottys are NOT FOR SALE at this tme .

235 Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

4. Likes CRABBY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pointemdown View Post
    Ditto on the spare belt...I prefer Scotty over Cannon. I have two of the high performance models with the electronic depth counter. The counter is great, but I would not recommend paying the extra $ for the hp models. They are ridiculously fast and torque is on the verge of dangerous. I use 10lb downriver weights, and the hp is way overkill. Both brands will get you fish; find the best deal.

"Both brands will get you fish; find the best deal."

This is probably the best advice.

Post Thanks / Like

I have scotty’s and prefer them over the cannon. I’ll,e the rod holder mount since it’s on the boom and not the back of the motor. It gets the rod outside of the boat for leaning and walking in the boat. I like the handle to manually lower the ball vs the switch or the left handed knob that cannon uses. I like the smoothness on the motor on the cannon though.

My scotty’s are 15 years old, numbers still look good as new on the line counter. Belts are still good as well. I carry spares on the boat.

it’s a matter of preference. Go to the show in Sac and see if you can get a show price special.
    2018 Duckworth 235 Pacific Navigator
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

7. Likes Ldubs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Scotty or Cannon, I don’t think for 99% of us it makes any difference. The basic function of the downrigger is to lower a weight to a specific depth and then retrieve the weight. Yes they each have different bells and whistles, but still their primary function is to lower and raise the down rigger weights which they both do equally well. I had Scotties for 10 years and never had a problem. I’ve fished numerous times with friends who have cannons and no problems. The fish don’t care which DR you have. You’ll catch as many fish with one as the other. So compare the different features each has and if see one has some feature you think you really must have. See which one you like the looks of. Or just flip a coin for one or the other and go fish.
    Last edited by Waterdog; 01-16-2020 at 11:18 AM.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

9. Likes OYD, TBSP, Ldubs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have Scotty's on my boat. Super simple design, easy to repair, and great customer support. They're almost the "Qtip" of the industry. My buddy has the Cannons, which I've used a few times.

Ultimately I'd say if you're a "keep it simple" person, go with the Scottys. If you like the newest tech, go with Cannons.

A couple of downsides with the Scotty downriggers:

• First, I don't like to run really heavy weights for Kokanee fishing. That's mainly because I have a Crestliner with their Suremount downrigger mounts, which bounce a lot when using heavy weights (i.e >8lbs). If you like to use lighter weights then the Cannon's are likely your friend, especially if you stack lines. The reason is the Cannon's "power down" vs "gravity down" when lowering. Granted, you can reverse the plug on the Scotty's which makes the motor go in reverse, but that's a PITA.
    • Second, you really can't use the new/fancy stacker downrigger releases (i.e. Chamberlain Stacker 101) due to the beads. I guess you could, but then you'd have to remove all of the stopper beads and trust that you'll always manually stop the downrigger prior to it hitting the top.
    • In order to get the extendable booms, their minimum size is actually quite a bit bigger than the Cannons. Scotties are 36" retracted boom vs Cannon's 24" retracted booms.

Some Upsides to the Scotty's:

• Supposedly less power use. The required wiring gauge is even less. I don't think it's a big deal, but if you troll with an electric trolling motor and have your downriggers hooked to your main battery (i.e. main motor off), then it's nice that you're using the least amount of battery possible.
    • They seem to be much easier to remedy problems with while on the water. They open on the top. Everything is exposed. Very simple design.
    • No circuit boards to go bad or fry, basically just an electric motor and mechanical brake.
    • They're usually cheaper. West Marine has great prices on them and VERY fast/free shipping. They didn't charge tax when I got them...

Last, the Scotty's are wider and lower vs the Cannons. I didn't think this was a big deal until I got some CE Smith trailer guide-on's. I now have to watch closely because the Scotties bump into them when launching and loading.

All of my complaints are NOT very big deals to me, just some differences that I have noticed. Good luck with your decision!

11. Likes Ldubs, Trickytrucker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on the spare belt...I prefer Scotty over Cannon. I have two of the high performance models with the electronic depth counter. The counter is great, but I would not recommend paying the extra $ for the hp models. They are ridiculously fast and torque is on the verge of dangerous. I use 10lb downriver weights, and the hp is way overkill. Both brands will get you fish; find the best deal.

13. Likes Ldubs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The only electric down riggers I've had are Scotty's. I had an issue with the counter on a previous manual Scotty DR. I can tell you that their customer service is top notch.

Until I got used to it I found lowering the rigs a little awkward, but it is a quick learning curve and not a big deal. Might be worthwhile to compare that aspect with how the Canons work -- might be the same, I don't know.

PS: I carry the spare belt (See SEON's post).

Post Thanks / Like

I've always had Cannon, but recently I had to down size my boat and the boat I bought had Scotties so I have been trying to get used to them for two years now and I sure wish I had my Cannons back. Anyone want to trade two all most new Scotties for two Cannons?

Post Thanks / Like

Cannon and Scotty has their pros and cons...similar to Ford/Chevy followers.

I've owned both and currently have Scottys because the boat I bought had the mounts on already so I sold my Cannons.

Scotty is belt driven and is subject to breaking like an auto fan belt so need to keep a spare on board. The line counter is mechanical and will fade after a spell. I don't particularly like the rod holder location which is outboard attached to the boom. Scotty doesn't have auto stop but has stop beads that has to be attached on the line that trips the control button to stop the motor. Without the beads one has to keep an close eye when the ball is near the surface.
    I'm sure others will chime in.
    Last edited by Seon; 01-13-2020 at 05:38 PM.

235 Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast