Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Traeger BBQ/smoker question

I'm going to purchase a small electric grill, because I don't have an opportunity to insert a huge traeger one or a charcoal, but I'd like to cook grilled things. So, Does anyone has any good suggestions of recipes for an electric grill for food turned out like it was cooked on a traeger grill. I’ve found a nice option, it looks like an ordinary grill (it is 4th here).

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Traeger BBQ/smoker question

BTW when I smoke cheese, I put a aluminum pan, full of ice, in front of the fan inlet. I watch the temps and make sure the cheese is placed to get smoke and not dry out with the fan blowing. When the ice melts away I just dump the water and add more ice.......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Traeger BBQ/smoker question

Quote Originally Posted by Califbill View Post
    If you want a lot of smoke, or if you want to smoke cheese in the cold months, get a Smoke tube. Amazon, etc. add some chips or pellets and it will smoke for hours with a full tube. I leave the pellets in my Treager, seems no problem, but keep the bag in the garage as if stored outside, the pellets turn in to sawdust. I have smoked cheese with mixed results. The hard cheese was really good, but the Monterey Jack had too much smoke. Need to smoke a shorter time. Then seal in a ziplock in the refrigerator for a couple weeks before eating. If try right away is a little bitter.
    Not sure of how you are using the smoke tube, most of those devices require an outside heat source to start the pellets, I guess you could use a butane or other heat source to ignite the pellets or chips. I have a couple of those types of boxes as well and plenty of wood chips of various types. Also how do you control the heat when they are lit? I like the idea though.......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

If you want a lot of smoke, or if you want to smoke cheese in the cold months, get a Smoke tube. Amazon, etc. add some chips or pellets and it will smoke for hours with a full tube. I leave the pellets in my Treager, seems no problem, but keep the bag in the garage as if stored outside, the pellets turn in to sawdust. I have smoked cheese with mixed results. The hard cheese was really good, but the Monterey Jack had too much smoke. Need to smoke a shorter time. Then seal in a ziplock in the refrigerator for a couple weeks before eating. If try right away is a little bitter.

5. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Traeger BBQ/smoker question

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    So you think you might like tri-tip?

Cut me off a hunk Ed that looks great......Jetspray

Post Thanks / Like

So you think you might like tri-tip?

8. Likes MKE, GW208, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by golustp View Post
    It mostly depends on how much you would use it and for what. The Traeger keeps a constant flow of air going and the auger only adds pellets to the fire box to get the temperature in range.
    The fan also blows most of the ashes out of the fire pot, thus making room for more pellets. It can be a problem if you let moisture develop in the pot and do not clean out that area after using the grill. Most of the troubles come from moisture, I have large covers that I buy from Walmart that are thick and can take the elements. I use clamps that I buy from Harbor Freight Tools to clamp down the cover on the legs and handles of the smoker to cover. I also use weights around the wheels and post stands to keep it in place. We have very bad winds here in the winter and sometimes in the summer, 40+ mph is normal and I have registered gusts during the winter up to 93 mph (those blew my neighbors trees down)…….Jetspray

Post Thanks / Like

It mostly depends on how much you would use it and for what. The Traeger keeps a constant flow of air going and the auger only adds pellets to the fire box to get the temperature in range.

11. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BDuck View Post
    I tried adding ground up wood chips myself but my success was nil. My neighbor bought a Traeger and ended up returning it within a month as it got all gummed up in the auger. You can't let the pellets get wet and sit to dry out which is what I suspected with 5 little toddlers playing around it.
    I do not leave any pellets stay in the hopper, I use a plastic hose hooked to a yard vac with a plastic bag in it to withdraw any leftovers. Plastic ziploc's work best for storage as the bags have no closure stuff, I have to use other things to do that. The auger will gum up if you do not vacuum up the ash at the end of the auger, a little applied high temp lube (very little) keeps it from sticking. Pellets have a condensed amount of sap accumulates due to the pellets being extruded. The cheaper pellets have more of that and more moisture in them. If you put some on a aluminum pan which is weighed, then put the pellets in, dehydrate them a little in a convection oven without igniting them the difference in weight is the % of moisture. Just keeping the heater pot empty is a big deal with the Traeger…….Jetspray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspray View Post
    I was able to use a cheapo blender/chopper I got from Walmart and grind down some of the chips I had from previous smokers, mix it in with the pellets and run it through the Traeger. It does bump up the smoke a little for flavor. ...….Jetspray
    I tried adding ground up wood chips myself but my success was nil. My neighbor bought a Traeger and ended up returning it within a month as it got all gummed up in the auger. You can't let the pellets get wet and sit to dry out which is what I suspected with 5 little toddlers playing around it.
    2000 SuperDuty F250 Diesel
    2007 Columbia Fisherman 2018XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 Kicker Raymarine Element HV9 4 Electric Walker Downriggers

14. Likes Jetspray liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast