Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: fish finder for small alum boat?

I have a 14 ft Gregor aluminum and I bought a Garmin Stryker for $99 at Cabelas online. It acmes withe everything and works Awesome! The screen is smaller but its perfect for smaller boats.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the Cabela's one if you want to see it. Click here to see

Post Thanks / Like

I have a hummingbird portable for my Porta-Bote. The fishfinder is good, but the suction cup didn't work that well, it always came off the bottom and ended up being dragged in water at some point. Then you get your sleeve wet trying to suck it back on. I took the transducer from the suction cup and made a clamp-on rod using some plastics and a clamp from hardware store and it solved the problem. If you don't want to make your own, Cabela's and other places like West Marine (I believe) sell aluminun transducer brackets to clamp on your boat. For power, I have a cord that connects to the battery in the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Id say a depth/fish finder is a worthwhile addition to any boat.
    You can get a portable with a suction cup for the transducer and a batt pack for around $150.00 or go with a fixed mount with a batt pack (2 dry-cell flash light batts will work) if you dont have other power.
    With my buddies small 12 aluminum we didnt use a portable and permanently mounted everything except the transducer because it gets in the way when we load it into the back of his truck. You can buy the suction cups separately or just mount it to a board and clamp it on to the transom. They all have slide mounts so you can pull off the head for storage.
    GC

Post Thanks / Like

fish finder for small alum boat?

I fish quite a few large ponds and would really like to map them out. My boat is an old 10 or 12 ft alum. Would it be fairly easy to rig something up? Could it be done fairly inexpensive? Is it even possible, or worth it?
    Thank you for all of your input.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Smartcast Fish Finder

helps alot small ripples please dont ask what size enough to stop the signal if fish alot specialy in wind it has problems :( best investment line counter for trolin ;D

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Smartcast Fish Finder

have one it sits in pile of unused fishin gear :-[ wind current all bad for smart cast should call it dumbcaster :o *still tinkering with it I love gadgets 8) *the best investment was a line counter/reel combo for just trollin 8)IT WORKS ;D * *

Post Thanks / Like

Re: lowrance or humminbird? what would you buy

rapid changes in depth were reported faster on the graph than on the digital depth indicator. It almost seemed like the digital output was averaging depth over a longer time interval. Is this really the case or was I imagining this?
    It's not your imagination Doc, my Lowrance digital reader is slower than the actual depth. When fishing the bottom I watch the graft instead of the read out. I have a X-135.

Post Thanks / Like

Smartcast Fish Finder

I was just wondering if ya guys knew now well the Smartcast castable fish finder works. I was thinking it'd work well for me being a bankie.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: lowrance or humminbird? what would you buy

I have a question for folks who have Lowrance units. I have fished with several people who have these fishfinders and it seemed that rapid changes in depth were reported faster on the graph than on the digital depth indicator. It almost seemed like the digital output was averaging depth over a longer time interval. Is this really the case or was I imagining this?

This is an important factor for me since I run my trolling motor from the stern of my boat and I need to read depth changes from the digital indicator. I can't see well enough to watch the graph from back there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast