Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rio / Collinsville today Saturday..

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Congrats on some big excitement.

Sturgeon are prone to getting snagged, and I've never really understood why. I've snagged them trolling, jigging and bait fishing. Even snagged one once throwing plastic worms for stripers. Given how tough their skin is you wouldn't think they'd get snagged easily. I have noticed though that most times they were hooked in a fin. It seems like they get wrapped up in a line and the hook pulls across them until it finds something it penetrates. It's clearly unintentional, but seems to happen more with sturgeon than with other fish.

Regardless, glad you got the excitement of it, and it swam away healthy. One of the best feelings in fishing it to feel a thump, set the hook, and then have the freight train leave the station. Fun days.
    I once thought I had a fish of a lifetime and it turned out to be a 20" sturgeon that got snagged in its back. It was quite a tussle.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on some big excitement.

Sturgeon are prone to getting snagged, and I've never really understood why. I've snagged them trolling, jigging and bait fishing. Even snagged one once throwing plastic worms for stripers. Given how tough their skin is you wouldn't think they'd get snagged easily. I have noticed though that most times they were hooked in a fin. It seems like they get wrapped up in a line and the hook pulls across them until it finds something it penetrates. It's clearly unintentional, but seems to happen more with sturgeon than with other fish.

Regardless, glad you got the excitement of it, and it swam away healthy. One of the best feelings in fishing it to feel a thump, set the hook, and then have the freight train leave the station. Fun days.

3. Likes Fractoggen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dsa2780 View Post
    Solid report. That’s the second sturgeon I’ve heard of caught by someone over there trying for stripers with lures. Very cool experience. Was he hooked near the mouth? The one a friends friend hooked was on a fly right by the mouth.

There are a lot of lamprey in the delta right now. My friend kept a schoolie from that area and it had about 20 small eels in it. Might be something to those sturgeon being around if the eels are too.

that fog was thick. Disorienting for sure.
    Yes, it was hooked near the mouth. Several times I felt the line kind of unrolling... I think it had rolled its self up. When it first surfaced at the boat, the line was one wrap under the side fin near the gill. When I lifted, it popped out from under the gil fin and went to near the mouth where it quickly popped off. When that happened, the head dropped back toward the water and it slapped it's tail and was gone in a woosh... I wouldn't have kept it anyway, snagged and probably around 40 inches, plus I didn't have a stamp. But oh it was fun.

Keeper Stripers on Swim baits..Oh yeah..

5. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Solid report. That’s the second sturgeon I’ve heard of caught by someone over there trying for stripers with lures. Very cool experience. Was he hooked near the mouth? The one a friends friend hooked was on a fly right by the mouth.

There are a lot of lamprey in the delta right now. My friend kept a schoolie from that area and it had about 20 small eels in it. Might be something to those sturgeon being around if the eels are too.

that fog was thick. Disorienting for sure.

7. Likes Paintguy, RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Polebrother;1176876]Problem with fog that thick is not knowing what other boats are doing. With gps/charts you can take it slow and find your destination. But the thought of being T-boned along the way by a blind speeding boat is ever-present and scary as heck. 20 minutes of feeling that helplessness when I first starting boating years ago was all I needed...lesson learned! Glad you made it back safely!

You're right , my biggest concern is what the other boats are doing. I noticed there was quite a few boats out there that did not have their marker lights on... to minumize the risk, I did most of my travel in the marker lanes, as most of the fishermen were sitting in the 15 to 30 ft depth. Its that time of year..fog.

9. Likes Stickman, Paintguy, Fractoggen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Problem with fog that thick is not knowing what other boats are doing. With gps/charts you can take it slow and find your destination. But the thought of being T-boned along the way by a blind speeding boat is ever-present and scary as heck. 20 minutes of feeling that helplessness when I first starting boating years ago was all I needed...lesson learned! Glad you made it back safely!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In fishing, I throw myself away and find myself again and again.

11. Likes Stickman, one more cast, RideNfish, wckid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice report. Coming back in the fog on the water is worse than at night sometimes, it's disconcerting in different ways.

13. Likes Mytidi, Fractoggen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Rio / Collinsville today Saturday..

What a day, Launched out of Rio Vista today. High tide going out about 8 am. Very foggy most of the day, at least on the water, it just seems to cling to the water. At times it was extremely foggy. Anyway starting out I trolled the west bank, the water looked nice , clear, no junk floating. Later on that day on the way back around 1 pm, water still going out , nearing the bottom, the water had all kind of floating debris and it browned up. I tried a little trolling, jigging and throwing swim baits and rattle traps. Finished up the day hooking approximately 11 fish, 4 were 21 inches to 23 inches, 6 were about the 17 inch range and 1 sturgeon. Most of the fish came on swim baits. On the way back I decided to make one stop and drop down the spoon,and dang I had a solid snag... I backed up only to realize the snag area had moved and then it was on, he would take line and stop at will, I couldn't budge him, finally after 30 minutes I was able to get him to the boat and confirm it was a sturgeon. It was there long enough to take a picture before it kicked loose. Unfortunately when I checked my phone camera, the picture was not in there...duh.. Even with all this stuff today , it was the ride back from Collinsville to the dock ,,,SCARY.... I could only go fast enough to get on plane and back the throttle, it was dangerous driving. The fog plays tricks on your eyes, the depth perception is in question. Even trolling the west bank ( trolling shallow) I couldn't even see the wind mills. Watching the GPS, depth gauge and continuously watching the front of the boat was hard to do. Even though I had a GPS, sometimes it was hard to trust it. Your gut and sense of direction keeps wanting to go what you think is straight ahead, but your GPS is telling you turn more left... The fog was actually worst coming back than when first going out. I had to travel back approximately 12 miles. This was an intense , white knuckle ride back. I don't think I will do that again, at least not that far of travel. Cant complain though, nice hook up day, especially on casting the fish traps. Water temp approx... 53*f.

I tried to post two stripes, but it wouldn't take..maybe next time.

Hey its February today...humm.

Oh what a feeling.