Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pond Smelt and Threadfin in Folsom

More history reading. This describes how Spaulding water gets to Auburn/Newcastle. From there just look at Google Earth and go back upstream on the canal that dumps into the cove above Rattlesnake boat launch to get you back up to the Bear River canal that connects to Spaulding. It's a piece of pie.

https://goldcountrymedia.com/news/34...lfaxs-history/

2. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's some reading about the subject. It gives some history to the planting of forage fish.

https://www.theunion.com/entertainme...d-theres-fish/

4. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe that Pond Smelt from Spaulding could make it all the way down into Folsom.

The canal system is connected to Spaulding. It's relatively easy to follow and has some good fishing in the small control reservoirs. It's all down hill from Spaulding.

6. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup, it's going to make Shasta even a better fishery, recall Shasta has only Threadfin Shad not Pond Smelt. Folsom could have been a great fishery to without the Smelt. Whalonem

Post Thanks / Like

"planted Shasta with Kok's..........."

Will it work ?

They also planted Kokanee into Rollins lake, many years ago.........................
    how did that turn out !!

Cuda, wuda, shuda.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=sprig1;1176971]There's been some discussion about the genesis of how these two fish got into Folsom. Some feel that DFG put them in the lake but some time ago I did some digging on the issue and and found that it was both true and false. Huh?
    A long time ago DFG used to plant all manner of exotic stuff in the state. A good friend was a unit biologist for DFG who knew of them planting Golden pheasants for example in the lower San Joaquin Valley. They obviously didn't survive. Oudad Sheep too that did.
    They also planted exotic fish for example Grayling in some small lakes above Spaulding Reservoir. They also planted Pond Smelt as a forage fish in Spaulding. I don't know if that reservoir was connected at the time to Folsom or if that was even a consideration but it most certainly is now and for some time. The water from Spaulding goes down the Bear river drainage and into the NID's canal system. It goes through Rock Creek Reservoir off Bell Road and then through the system eventually dumping into the North Fork arm of Folsom in a cove upstream from Rattlesnake where there is a small power plant. The Pond Smelt followed that path.
    The Threadfin were never planted by DFG that I could find so in the same way that Northern Pike got into Davis, somebody dumped some Threadfin into Folsom or into a water source that connected to Folsom.
    I used to catch the very nice Kokanee that lived in Folsom in the 1970s and that were driven out by over competition for the same food source by the Threadfin. During a past drought year I found a school of Threadfin at the Horseshoe Bar turn that went from bank to bank and was 1/2 mile long. It looked like a shadow from a cloud and as dragonflys flew low over it they'd spook the Threadfin into jumping out of the water because they couldn't go down deeper because of the crush of the fish below them. I was surprised there was enough oxygen in the water to sustain that bio mass. No Kokanee can survive with that kind of competition.[/QUOTE

"I used to catch the very nice Kokanee that lived in Folsom in the 1970s and that were driven out by over competition for the same food source by the Threadfin."

I,m not to sure about this, many valley lakes have threadfin stock while supporting good quanity of Kok,s. Monty Currier (sp? DGW staff) indicated that threadfin and Kok's can coexist. Also, I can't believe that Pond Smelt from Spaulding could make it all the way down into Folsom. I sorta of recall talking to DFG staff saying they planted them, proving it now would be impossible, and DFW would deny it anyway. Its also a fact that DFW has recently planted Shasta with Kok's even though Threadfin Shad are plentyful. So your theory about Threadfin and Kok's seems to be inaccurate. "Pond Smelt" need to be removed from DFW's play book!!!!! Whalonem

Post Thanks / Like

As far as getting rid of Pond Smelt and Threadfin, forget it. Look at the trouble they went through on a relatively small reservoir to get rid of Northern Pike and I'm not sure they've actually done it yet. No they're here to stay as long as there's water in that drainage. I've thought about this before and actually the best way to get rid of any species is to declare it rare and endangered and pass laws to protect it.
    Every reservoir in the benefit cost analysis has a recreation component. It's often used to skew the results from a negative analysis to a positive one. Costs too much for the benefit received, just throw more user days into the recreation section of the analysis until it becomes a positive result. After it's built the recreation portion of the dam's justification is forgotten because what are you going to do, tear it out? DWR should have their feet held to the fire over that issue, not DFW.

Post Thanks / Like

That’s a lot of research. I’ve read similar accounts but don’t honestly know that much about their history in Folsom.

Only thing I know is they are there to stay. Short of draining it completely it’s nearly impossible to get rid of them, and then you’d need to see if the still exist upstream.

No doubt folks would make different decisions had they known then what they know now. But that’s also a double edged sword. Clear Lake wouldn’t have largemouth, Folsom wouldn’t have Spotted Bass, and the Delta wouldn’t have Stripers. Probably wouldn’t have half the reservoirs we have.

The best I think we can do is to try and manage what we have as best we can. Fishing is the fourth or fifth priority for managing Folsom. Managing for a quality Spotted Bass and King Salmon fishery is probably the most realistic. Also wish some type of trucking ocean run fish above Folsom and collecting and trucking smolts back down program could get some traction. It’s been proposed several places, but not aware of any in California. Several in Oregon, Washington and Alaska.

Just my opinion.

12. Likes Hookum Greg, Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pond Smelt and Threadfin in Folsom

There's been some discussion about the genesis of how these two fish got into Folsom. Some feel that DFG put them in the lake but some time ago I did some digging on the issue and and found that it was both true and false. Huh?
    A long time ago DFG used to plant all manner of exotic stuff in the state. A good friend was a unit biologist for DFG who knew of them planting Golden pheasants for example in the lower San Joaquin Valley. They obviously didn't survive. Oudad Sheep too that did.
    They also planted exotic fish for example Grayling in some small lakes above Spaulding Reservoir. They also planted Pond Smelt as a forage fish in Spaulding. I don't know if that reservoir was connected at the time to Folsom or if that was even a consideration but it most certainly is now and for some time. The water from Spaulding goes down the Bear river drainage and into the NID's canal system. It goes through Rock Creek Reservoir off Bell Road and then through the system eventually dumping into the North Fork arm of Folsom in a cove upstream from Rattlesnake where there is a small power plant. The Pond Smelt followed that path.
    The Threadfin were never planted by DFG that I could find so in the same way that Northern Pike got into Davis, somebody dumped some Threadfin into Folsom or into a water source that connected to Folsom.
    I used to catch the very nice Kokanee that lived in Folsom in the 1970s and that were driven out by over competition for the same food source by the Threadfin. During a past drought year I found a school of Threadfin at the Horseshoe Bar turn that went from bank to bank and was 1/2 mile long. It looked like a shadow from a cloud and as dragonflys flew low over it they'd spook the Threadfin into jumping out of the water because they couldn't go down deeper because of the crush of the fish below them. I was surprised there was enough oxygen in the water to sustain that bio mass. No Kokanee can survive with that kind of competition.

14. Likes Hookum Greg, Stickman liked this post