Post Thanks / Like

Re: Folsom Lake, Sacramento’s Backyard Landlocked Chinook and Trout Fishery

Enjoyed the article, but I really don't get this.
    “I’m not sure if there are Chinook still spawning, but I would assume there are,” said Jay Rowan, CDFW Senior Environmental Scientist Supervisor.“That survey that we did on the South Fork several year ago was brutal physically and dangerous. It’s not one I’d send anyone in to repeat.”

I fish on the South Fork nearly year round (unless blown out). Not very brutal or dangerous with whitewater equipment. I've heard second hand reports of Chinook and Kokanee runs but have yet to see one. I'm still hoping to see spawning runs. Meanwhile I catch the occasional rainbow and brown trout, some pike minnow in there, too.

Post Thanks / Like

then some wise DFG manager dumped Pond Smelt in it,

Look at the thread on Pond Smelt in Folsom for better information. DFG didn't put Pond Smelt directly into Folsom. They came downstream from a plant that was done in the distant past in Spaulding by DFG before environmental laws would have addressed all the effects of such an action and probably stopped that initial plant.

And now we have to contend with sterol fish, Triploids are going to ruin what little we have now!!!! Why grow fish in the hatchery when they can breed and grow naturally at no cost to the State in the lake, thanks environmentalist!!!!

How are sterile fish going to ruin the fishing? Seems like it will make it more interesting if you have the chance to catch a really big fish which some people think is possible with triploid trout. Any natural reproduction that occurs in the lake's tributaries isn't affected by triploids because they don't reproduce so don't make redds and compete for spawning gravel even though male triploids can develop gonads. Females don't and they are the ones that make the redds.
    Sounds like you're just angry Whalonem. Dig into it and review the real facts and maybe it will help.If it wasn't for environmental laws you wouldn't have any water or fish for that matter. Look at what happened to the Owens River Valley if you want to see what can happen when there were no laws like the ones you find so wrong headed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Houlifish View Post
    I
    I remember the early 60’s catching Kokanee averaging 15-22 ins was common. My Salmon days was on 2000 when you were able to tie up to the Dam bouy lines ! I catch limits of Salmon 16-23 ins! Then in 2001 the terrorist attack you couldn’t fish anywhere near the Dam. After that the Salmon fishing was never the same.
    I tied up to the same bouys and mooched more salmon than I did trolling. Those were the good old days long before our Public experts screwed it all up. Whalon

4. Likes Trickytrucker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I
    Quote Originally Posted by whalonem View Post
    Wes, your discussion here would give the average JOE the impression that Folsom is worth trying. I too have been fishing Folsom from the first day it opened to the public. Except for the Bass and other non Salmoniod population, the Trout and Salmon fishery has been one of DFW biggest failures. A lack of a solid long term consistent programing has left Folsom with a reputation as a ONE fish limit lake. DFW has managed Folsom at best in a hit and MESS manner. You would think that being within shouting distance of the Nimbus hatchery, it would be a stellar fishery. In the 60's it was a Kokanee gem, then some wise DFG manager dumped Pond Smelt in it, gone went the Kok's forever. Then came the sporadic planting, some amount here and some there. Then they normally plant at Granite Bay so all the lawn chair folks can fish directly behind the plant truck. How about dumping in the upper north and south forks or even in Webber Creek, so the fish have a chance. Then we get to deal with the Internet or Facebook or even Bob Simms when the bite goes on and even worse are the Guides, I've seen the results, on one day no boats, come the reports and the next day the lake is crawling with them. How many fish can 6 guide boats kill in a few weeks?
    And now we have to contend with sterol fish, Triploids are going to ruin what little we have now!!!! Why grow fish in the hatchery when they can breed and grow naturally at no cost to the State in the lake, thanks environmentalist!!!!
    The same theme is playing out in the Sierras, two examples are, Caples and Silver Lakes, both were Gems, and now are not worth the time and effort. Thanks DFW!!!!
    It surprises me that more fisher folks don't raise hell about DFW and Folsom.
    Whalonem
    I remember the early 60’s catching Kokanee averaging 15-22 ins was common. My Salmon days was on 2000 when you were able to tie up to the Dam bouy lines ! I catch limits of Salmon 16-23 ins! Then in 2001 the terrorist attack you couldn’t fish anywhere near the Dam. After that the Salmon fishing was never the same.

6. Likes Trickytrucker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whalonem View Post
    Wes, your discussion here would give the average JOE the impression that Folsom is worth trying. I too have been fishing Folsom from the first day it opened to the public. Except for the Bass and other non Salmoniod population, the Trout and Salmon fishery has been one of DFW biggest failures. A lack of a solid long term consistent programing has left Folsom with a reputation as a ONE fish limit lake. DFW has managed Folsom at best in a hit and MESS manner. You would think that being within shouting distance of the Nimbus hatchery, it would be a stellar fishery. In the 60's it was a Kokanee gem, then some wise DFG manager dumped Pond Smelt in it, gone went the Kok's forever. Then came the sporadic planting, some amount here and some there. Then they normally plant at Granite Bay so all the lawn chair folks can fish directly behind the plant truck. How about dumping in the upper north and south forks or even in Webber Creek, so the fish have a chance. Then we get to deal with the Internet or Facebook or even Bob Simms when the bite goes on and even worse are the Guides, I've seen the results, on one day no boats, come the reports and the next day the lake is crawling with them. How many fish can 6 guide boats kill in a few weeks?
    The same theme is playing out in the Sierras, two examples are, Caples and Silver Lakes, both were Gems, and now are not worth the time and effort. Thanks DFW!!!!
    Whalonem
    I concur, if I were to take the time I would have written pretty much the same thing. Wish I lived closer to Oroville!

Post Thanks / Like

Whalonem

9. Likes MKE, Folsomtroller22, Trickytrucker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Folsom Lake, Sacramento’s Backyard Landlocked Chinook and Trout Fishery

When the salmon season is closed on the ocean and Central Valley rivers, anglers still have the chance to hook both planted fall Chinook salmon and wild naturally-spawned fish on Folsom Reservoir, Sacramento’s backyard salmon and trout lake. Within ten … Continued

More...