Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Alabama Rig on the Sac River above Sacramento

Another thought- are suspending lures over an ounce like a River3sea s-waver illegal?

Post Thanks / Like

The reason being snagging fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CPR View Post
    Just another thought.

The whole non-bouyant exceeding 1oz with a single hook was put in the regs early 2000s to prevent salmon snaggers. Unfortunately that reg is restricting other methods of fishing (e.g., A rigs)
    Would only work if the put the restriction on a 7-16 to 12-16 timeframe. But then snaggers would target early/late season salmon
    Fisher of men first, fisher of fish second.

Post Thanks / Like

we all like to think outside the box. I make my own rigs. Was thinking this AM about using a float for the head instead of standard mold If I could make it float, then.>>>>>>. Probably just better to rig with a single hooked larger jig and small teasers. Way too much work/effort otherwise.

The Lt was friendly and accurate. He's the region boss, I don't want to run against a warden who has to answer to the Lt.
    Fisher of men first, fisher of fish second.

5. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just another thought.

The whole non-bouyant exceeding 1oz with a single hook was put in the regs early 2000s to prevent salmon snaggers. Unfortunately that reg is restricting other methods of fishing (e.g., A rigs)

Post Thanks / Like

2.10. HOOK AND WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS.(a) Definition of Gap: For the purposes of this section, “gap” means the distance measured from the point of a hook to the shank.(b) Maximum Gaps and Gear Rigging for Rivers and Streams unless otherwise provided (does not apply to lakes and reservoirs, the Sacramento-San 1.87. WASTE OF FISH.It is unlawful to cause or permit any deterioration or waste of any fish taken in the waters of this state.1.93. WEIGHTAny object directly or indirectly attached to a fishing line with the purpose of casting or sinking a lure or bait.barbbarbSINGLE HOOK:A hook with a single point.Measure GAP hereMULTIPLE HOOK:A hook with more than one point on a common shaft.Measure GAP here
    16 California Department of Fish and WildlifeJoaquin Delta (see Section 1.71 for definition of the Delta), and the Colorado River.(1) No person shall use any single hook with a gap greater than 1 inch or any multiple hook with a gap greater than 3/4 inch.(2) It is unlawful to use any hook which is directly or indirectly attached closer than 18 inches to any weight exceeding 1/2 ounce.(3) It is unlawful to use any multiple hook or more than one single hook on non-buoyant artificial lures exceeding one ounce

Where as
    1.71. SACRAMENTO-SAN JOAQUIN RIVER DELTA.The Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta includes all rivers, sloughs, canals, cuts, forebays, and flooded islands within the area south of Interstate 80 to its junction with Highway 50, and south of Highway 50 via the Pioneer Bridge to its junction with Highway 99, west of Highway 99, north of Interstate 580, 205, and Highway 120, and east of Interstate 680.

Post Thanks / Like

Are the regulations different on the Alabama Rig for the Delta? Still one hook for 3 oz or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Shot-Gun View Post
    I asked the Fish and Wildlife Commission and here is the answer. They were VERY helpful.

“My question relates to fishing in the Feather River and Sacramento River between Hamilton City and Colusa. I know there is a 3 hook limit for Alabama Rigs. I also know that there is a single hook limit for non-buoyant lures (Jigs, etc.). An Alabama rig would weigh more than 3 ounces. Is the Alabama rig considered a lure for this purpose and would there be a one hook limit or can three be used.”

The Feather River and Sacramento River between Hamilton City and Colusa fall within the Valley District and the Gear Restrictions are on pages 15 and 16 of the 2019-2020 California Freshwater Sport Fishing Regulations booklet. The hook and weight restrictions are under section 2.10. According to subsection 2.10(b)(3) “It is unlawful to use any multiple hook or more than one single hook on a non-buoyant lure exceeding one ounce.” The Alabama Rig is a lure. Since your Alabama Rig exceeds one ounce you would only be allowed to use one single hook.

Byron Trunnell
    Lieutenant, Delta Bay Enhanced Enforcement Program
    Law Enforcement Division
    CA Department of Fish and Wildlife

Post Thanks / Like

I think that SteelyMan has it exactly right. Officer Trunnell has given you what I think is an unusually clear description of what is allowed. DFW will often not be so direct when answering questions like this. SteelyMan points out that talking about calling things "leaders" is all about trying to defend yourself after you've gotten the citation.

10. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CPR View Post
    I think it all depends on how they define an A rig. Cant the wires of a A-rig be considered leaders?
    Good question to ask the Judge.

12. Likes sprig1, Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it all depends on how they define an A rig. Cant the wires of a A-rig be considered leaders?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast