Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: someone explain the steelhead card

When smolts are released say in the Feather River they do it in one large plant. The purpose is to overpower the predator fish and allow survival of a larger number of smolts than if they trickled them into the river. There's a name for it that I can't dredge up but the best example I can think of that I saw was when there was a huge hatch of Mormon Crickets in Nevada one year along Hwy 50. They were in a band on the highway 3' wide, 6" high and almost 200 miles long from Austin to Ely. There was a songbird, crow or raven on every fence post along that stretch and none of them were eating the crickets because they apparently couldn't stand the thought of eating even one more.
    Anadromous fish use the same concept of having so many offspring that when all want to migrate at the same time they all can't be eaten. They evolved this way and the hatchery managers are mimicking that behavior. It would be different if anadromous fish were mouth brooders like some Ciclids. Probably wouldn't be any anadromous fish.

Post Thanks / Like

When do you think they should release them?

Part of the life cycle is rearing in the rivers, delta and bays. They have also evolved to enter the ocean during periods of higher food availability. The hatchery practices including when to release them try to mimic the natural lifecycle.

So the short answer is if they released at different times of the year there would be a lower survival rate, even after the affects of predation.

The argument also sounds like eradicating Stripers would be on your list of good things? It’s logical and if we’re only worried about Salmon and Steelhead it’s a no brainer. The problem with that is we all lose a great and unique striper fishery. Check the Striper board to see how a lot of folks feel about that, myself at the head of the list.

My point in all of this is that decisions on these thing are complex. Each decision is a compromise and something has to sacrifice. They’re also made by Biologists who have the best available information and science to make those decisions.

Politics absolutely get in the way at times. New studies add new information and help drive new practices which is a good thing. Trucking of smolts is one recent example. They are studying the effects and finding it causes significant straying. Good for more fish in the ocean, but very few Sacramento River fish returned to the hatchery when they did it, which was bad for anyone fishing above Verona. Good and bad elements, but certainly not a simple decision that pleases everyone.

So for those reasons, and a bunch of others, statements like “then complain about low returns and won’t do crap about it!!!” are not accurate. Statements like “I JUST DON’T GET IT!!!” probably are.

3. Likes MKE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok I can do that so Let me ask without starting a new Topic . so here we go ...
    why is it they plant Steelhead smolts in the Feather river where stripers are migrating in . then complain about low returns and won`t do crap about it!!!! can we not do a better job planting smolts without them making the stripers fat!!!!
    I guess the same goes for Salmon smolts being planted for a meal-a-thon. I JUST DON`T GET IT!!!

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

Can we respectfully request this type of conversation move elsewhere?

Post Thanks / Like

Just so happend thrsday while fishing the moke i ran into a fellow from Amador flyfishers and we chatted on the states screwing of us fisherman and how we get less for what we get as a whole and he mentioned how they put all our funds into the general funds and spend it as they wish on crap that has nothing to do with Hunting, Boating Fishing or even a Steelhead card or a salmon report card.so The poachers fine get put in that too??? if thats true . I always thought what was ours from our fees and they would are spend on what we need as fisherman and hunters. But I guess not . It is spent on Crap like cleaning up the walking crap from the Campers and rescuing them when the river rises. I wonder if we will get any Money from the Corona Virus that the state is asking for now that Uncle Don is giving up 7.2 Billion and Newsome asked for some of it in a State of emergency on the for 2 People in a state of 40 Million!!! let not push the Panic bottom, but lets go and steal what we can get while still taking whats not yours!! In a corrupt state that always finds new ways to give it too you hard from the rear!!!!!... Yes sir give me another!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, sounds like you’ve got a good rant going, so “Hell ya, hang em all”.

On the other hand, if it’s an actual question, they do use the information for a number of things, but it’s also given the weight it deserves. AKA, general big picture trends and a guide to make decisions. Bragging that you caught a 15” steelhead isn’t going to change anything, or impress anyone. Knowing that angling success has declined by 50% over the last 10 years is useful information to guide policies.

Put yourself in the position of making decisions on fisheries policies. More information is helpful. Very easy to bash things folks don’t like or understand. Much harder to make positive scientific and political decisions.

Rant if you need, or roll up your sleeves and pitch in. Lots of opportunities to contribute, volunteer or provide productive information towards a resource we all care about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Drifter View Post
    Well now you’re getting into politics and water wars and they rarely have a basis in science and/or logic.
    Thats the truth. maybe thats why we are where we are!!!! Fish-on Bro and good year on the water!!!
    Trout season Coming up quick .

fished 7 hours on the Lower moke Monday . 1 small 12 inch smolts ..
    Steelhead is done for me
    No Rain equals No fish!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well now you’re getting into politics and water wars and they rarely have a basis in science and/or logic.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Drifter View Post
    I don’t think it’s that simple...not like a bad run equals more smolts the following year. It’s more of an aggregate looking at trend lines to determine what might happen in the future.
    are they considering the weather we have in this state// WHEN THEY DO THE future Forecast? Seems Trend Line tell me we are not getting any rain . year in and year out, My thinking is every year can start a dry spell.and when its a wet year we need more smolts getting out and screw the Quotas . granted the sea lions and Otters can help with low returns
    in both salmon and steelies , beside what they claim is a Climate change issue .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefanoflo View Post
    so from what you said . if it s a good run they release less fish or a bad run they release more fish
    and the data does what and do they look at the fisher persons Birthdays and the license number to see if its a repeat report card fisherman ?? . or a newbie trying to gain Lower stones????
    I don’t think it’s that simple...not like a bad run equals more smolts the following year. It’s more of an aggregate looking at trend lines to determine what might happen in the future.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast