Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: someone explain the steelhead card

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Drifter View Post
    Bios use the data to estimate the overall health of the run, wild vs hatchery, and number of harvested fish. Why would someone lie? Like any other data set analysis, garbage in = garbage out. If people are reporting fish as Steelies that are not in fact a Steelhead, they’ve just falsely inflated the number of fish. Add to that the fact that the bios are likely using specific formulas to estimate totals from a smaller sample set and that just exponentially increased the error. No need to lie on the report card...I can assure you the bios are not going to call and congratulate you if you report a certain number of Steelies in a season, and you may just negatively impact the number of smolts produced/released in future years.
    so from what you said . if it s a good run they release less fish or a bad run they release more fish
    and the data does what and do they look at the fisher persons Birthdays and the license number to see if its a repeat report card fisherman ?? . or a newbie trying to gain Lower stones????

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: someone explain the steelhead card

Bios use the data to estimate the overall health of the run, wild vs hatchery, and number of harvested fish. Why would someone lie? Like any other data set analysis, garbage in = garbage out. If people are reporting fish as Steelies that are not in fact a Steelhead, they’ve just falsely inflated the number of fish. Add to that the fact that the bios are likely using specific formulas to estimate totals from a smaller sample set and that just exponentially increased the error. No need to lie on the report card...I can assure you the bios are not going to call and congratulate you if you report a certain number of Steelies in a season, and you may just negatively impact the number of smolts produced/released in future years.
    Last edited by Nor_Cal_Drifter; 02-16-2020 at 12:39 PM.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

someone explain the steelhead card

wanted to post this on educating the Importance of a steelhead card
    like to know how it works
    Like to know what it does to benefit the steelhead
    and does it give us more or less steelhead
    and also how important is it to not lie . add a steelhead to the card when in fact its a trout. (under 17 inches)
    I want to geT feedback because I have meet dumb asses that because they feel IMPORTANT they put a 15inch on the card AND i LIKE FOR YOU TO TELL THEM WHY IT IS THE WAY IT IS .
    AND YOU BE HURTING THE FISHERY IF YOU PUT ALL UNDER SIZED FISH AS A STEELHEAD .AND THEN TURN IN YOU CARD AT YEARS END. IT MIGHT HURT THE FISH MORE THAN THE FISHERMAN! OR EVEN THE FISHERMAN THAN THE FISH IT SELF.

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12