Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rod/Reel Question for the experts :)

Should do great for most anything we catch around here. 15# drag is a lot. I would go 50# braid at most. 65# is big and over kill. I like 50# as I can see it to tie it. My Calcutta 251 I use for plugging is 50# with a mono top shot. A lot less reel than the 3500 and it has never been over matched on stripers and bay fish. May run a lot, but a lot of line available. Fishing 7 gills, just use a different rig. Biggest Bat Ray I landed was snagged in the fin and was on an ocean City with 36# Dacron. Heck, that is what we fished for everything when I was young.

Post Thanks / Like

Spool it up with 20# braid and go fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's the inshore saltwater model it's a decent rig and should work just fine for most things. The ratings on salt water rods are different than on fresh water rods, which I've never understood, but it's a thing.

You should be fine fishing for stripers, halibut and even trolling for salmon. Agree you're not fishing for big sharks or sturgeon with it, but folks have caught bigger fish on less. I'd say use what you have until you find a reason to get something new. That's a reasonable setup for 90% of what you'll be doing.

My 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice combo but I think it’s a little light for what you want to use it for. You are probably ok for medium to small striper and salmon but bigger fish will own you. I agree with CDK a 6 gill or ray would ruin your day as would a decent halibut. Probably good for striper in the delta. For bay fishing I like something a little bigger and heavier. Post up some reports when you catch something , let us know how you do with your combo.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

I am no xpert BUT the combo seems odd. 65 braid is over kill and the rest Seems to be a great surf combo . A 6 gill or bat ray would ruin your day.
    You can’t fix stupid, no matter how much duct tape you use!
    Doing the best I can with what's left.

6. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rod/Reel Combo Question

Hi All,

I received the Penn Spinfisher 3500 Rod/Reel combo for Christmas and wondering if this is a good setup for the Bay Area Halibut/Striper/Salmon fishing? I plan on putting 65# braid on the reel. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Here are the specifics to the rod/reel

REEL SIZE

MONO CAPACITY YD/LB
    360/6 285/8 220/10

BRAID CAPACITY YD/LB
    310/10 270/15 220/20

BEARING COUNT

MAX DRAG LB
    15lb | 6.8kg

MORE SPECIFICATIONS
    GEAR RATIO
    6.2:1

RETRIEVE RATE
    37" | 94cm

ROD LENGTH
    7'

ROD ACTION
    Extra Fast

NUMBER OF PIECES

ROD POWER
    Medium Light

LINE RATING
    8-15lb

GUIDES INCLUDING TIP

GUIDE TYPE
    PENN® Dura-Guides
    Last edited by juejaimon; 03-23-2020 at 06:42 PM.