Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: your thoughts on boats (fish&ski)

I started out as a kid with my dad and we rented boats to fish from. Then we got a ski boat that we fished from. It worked great. For your purposes a nice deep vee fiberglass boat with about 80 horses on it will do great sking and fishing. It's actually a good dual use, because fishing is better in the morning and evening and sking is good in the afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your feedback guys. The Tracker I was thinking about is an 18' walkthrough and comes standard with a 115hp O/B, I was trying to talk myself into telling my girlfriend that because she and the kids wanted to ski behind it i'd have to upgrade to atleast a 150 *;D , but everything comes down to the $$$. The base is still a 20k plus boat, but seems to be pretty solid, it is made of heavy gauge rolled aluminum, but looking at the boat you'd swear it was a fiberglass. It has a deeper vee than a standard bass boat I would say comparible to the jetcraft, alumaweld style of boats just laid out differantly, you dont sit so far forward so there is not quite as much room in the back, and the hull also has a differant shape to it. It has a 96" beam so I imagine it would be pretty stable. The fishing that I do kinda makes the boat I get need to be versitile, I do a little of everything, troll for trout throughout the year, bass fishing in the lakes and delta, and striper, halibut, sturgeon in the bay and rivers.
    So I heard a couple of you guys saying that you ski behind your (what I consider strictly fishing boats) with no troubles, thats good to know may still be able to get that Alumaweld i've been eyeing *;D . Still gonna be a little bit before I am able to get it so i'll look up some of the boats you guys mentioned. Thanks again for all the info guys.

Rip

Post Thanks / Like

Riplips, buy a good fishing boat and a cheap ski boat. You can buy some cheap ski boat to pull the rugrats and then go pump it up in what you want. It might cost a little more in the end (that would be for the divorce settlement and not the boat payments). All boats are money pits! They make so many combo boats out there. You can get a shorter boat if you get an outboard since that will give you more family room. A prop gets a lot (believe me) better gas mileage. Ask one of these guys with a jet. I "think" I get about 2.5 at full throttle and 5 at 3/4 throttle. When pulling a skier/tuber it gets much worse with all the starting and stopping. I can burn through about 10 gal/hr pulling someone. Try to get everything you want with it when you buy it. It is so hard to afford stuff after you get it. I say go to the next boat show and work from there or pop from dealer to dealer.
    2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

Post Thanks / Like

Rip

Take a look at Nitro they have a nice Fish Ski package,, and if it were me I would go fiberglass if your gona try sking you get a fair amount of bouncing out of aluminum, I know I have an aluminum boat, great on flat water easy on gas but not a great ride in big waves,, my 02 worth

Post Thanks / Like

Tell the wifey & kids that they can buy whatever boat they want when they scrape up the coin to pay for it. In the meantime, buy yourself a proper fishing boat. Waterskiing is for pansies, anyway. Tight lines.

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose the boat depends on the type of fishing you intend on doing. Trackers seem to be great for bass fishing (bow mounted trolling motor, livewells, fishing pole lockers, ski storage, etc.) and offer a stable platform. The heavy gauge aluminum boats seem to be geared more for open water fishing (jets for "skinny" water) for lakes and rivers. Just my opinion.

A50

Last year I bought a Lowe 16.5 Fish and Ski, the family likes it and so far its been a good fishing boat. It has two jump seats built into the rear platform for more seating when the family is in the boat. When fishing, the jump seats fold down and become part of the rear platform. I think the price range is about the same as Tracker/Fisher, the 16.5 will take up to 90hp.

Post Thanks / Like

Hinrid
    have you checked the price of the Trackers.You can buy a 18ft Duckworth Advantage classic for around $22,000 or a North River 17"10 Mariner for $20,000.But your correct,buy the boat that really makes you happy.I bought a pleasure/ fih boat and now Im a buying a Duckworth because it will do everything,just better because of all the room.Please keep in mind,Im buying it with the outback motor bracket so it gives a ton of room inside the boat.like I say,thats my 2 cents
    Richard

Post Thanks / Like

Rip, you start getting brand recommendations from here on out as everyone thinks his/her boat brand is best. I'll assume you were looking at Tracker because it was a fishing boat in your price range. It'll do the job you want if you get enough ponies and a bimini top so the family doesn't melt. All the other brands mentioned to this point are bank breakers.

Good Luck!

2003 Jetcraft SK215
    150 HP Yamaha, 8 HP Yamaha T8 & 80 Lbs Minn Kota Riptide, 2006 Dodge Dually

Post Thanks / Like

I would vote for a heavy guage aluminum. North river, Alumaweld or another brand. Talk the family into tubing also. ;) *Thats just me though. *Never did like getting my arms pulled off my body water skiing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast