Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cripplure, SuperDuper, Lil Jake

cripplures are great lures.and shasta isn't the only lake they work at!fisherman's warehouse,phil's propellers or shasta tackle itself are all places they can be bought. ;)

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen some at Sportsman's Warehouse and I think at Elkhorn bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Crip Lures, Jakes and Super Dupers are my three favorite Heenan lures.
    The Crip Lures seem to work particularly well in all of the east side lakes. I have a buddy that wont use anything but; it’s a big deal when he changes color. Because the Crip has a closed end they don’t scoop weeds as bad as the Super Duper or Jake’s. They also run a bit shallower. Great lure, I wish they had a better finish though.
    Anyone know where you can get Jakes in the Sac area? The closest place I know of is Cabela’s in Reno.
    I have never had line twist problems with them either except when using a spinning reel.
    GC

Post Thanks / Like

The Cripplure is my first choice for trolling when I'm not using minnow/fish patterns, followed closely by the Kastmaster. Red tape on bronze pattern is great. Never had any line twist issues when trolling.

Judge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by panther
    When you buy a Cripplure, the instructions say to put a barrel swivel about 16 inches up the line to avoid line twist. How do they work if you cast or troll them with no swivel? Just curious.

Panther
    The Lil Jake also requires a swivel to avoid line twist. The SupersDupers dont' say anything about it and they actually come with a little snap pre installed.

All I know is that line twist is a huge pain. If you have twisted line eventually one of your casts is going to end up in a big rats nest.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally never have caught a fish on a super duper, but my dad swears by em' and I've seen him kill rainbows and browns on them at Ice House and UVR just casting from shore using a snap swivel on the end.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife is a die hard Super Duper fisherperson. I am a fly fisherman; she is not. She always out fishes me with her Super Dupers. We fish mainly Sierra moving waters, but she's always done well on lakes from shore or float tube.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the Cripplure trolling for many years. In fact I caught a good sized bow with one last weekend at Pardee in gold with orange tape. I've also had luck with blue, chrome and scale pattern as well. The barrel swivel is a must.

Post Thanks / Like

Robbie is right ,

Run all that shasta tackle with a trolling bead swivel or barrel swivel and that 4" leader like he said. Also, Kastmasters and RMT UV serpant spoons, I used them at shasta and got the second biggest fish of the weekend on the orange uv spoon, run them as you would a crippler. At those higher speeds the lures really spin and twist around alot. Good luck

TW

Post Thanks / Like

Panther: I have used the cripplure for many years. I put a good barrel swivel about 4' above the lure. Just tie the lure directly to the leader. Use no snaps. This would be trolling. I have not used it casting. The first time i tried it without a swivel, boy did i have a mess. The main line looked like a slinky. So i would suggest using a swivel. Speed is everything with this lure. You want it to go back and forth and spin a little bit. Blue/Silver and Red/Gold are my favorite. Good luck.

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast