Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McSwain Limit

Post Thanks / Like

Re: McSwain Limit

is fishing at the lake a bust during the mid day?? What are the thoughts of today, was thinking about taking the g/f out to bank it for some trout, been craving some fish.... what is some advise to get into some?? or is it even worth making the hour drive....
    tightlines

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm hitting McSwain bright and early tomorrow morning so I'll let you guys know how i did. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

The trout don't seem to mind the drop in water level, although I usually have faster action when the water is rising.
    Give a man a fish, he eats for one day, teach a man to fish and he takes all your fish!

Post Thanks / Like

That drop in water doesn't seem to hurt the fishability of the lake cuz the trout are so used to it fluctuating so much?

Post Thanks / Like

Beware of the warter level. It drops a LOT at night and then comes back up dearing the day. I have seen boats stranded 10 - 15 feet from the water.
    Eather ancore 10' off shore or pull your boat out a night. Ask the man at the marina for details.
    Other then that it's a GREAT lake to troll.You have gotten great advice posted above.
    My favort is crome and red SLING BLADE AND A FAT Nightcrawler.
    Just before you get to the lake there is a bait shop on your left. Stop in and he has always had the curent condution.( last plant, where and what to use) great guy.
    Lots of luck and you will have a great time
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

:) Mc swain is a great camping and fishing lake and liked mention no water lice or skiers. There is a store at the lake and other admentities can be found there. Wife and I started camping there when first married 38 years ago and is where my sosn caught there first fish. go across from the boat ramp and fish up the lake. I use to use half fast blades and night crawlers alot there. Also a great place when the grasshoppers are abundant and falling in the water. Get your self a container and get some hoppers and one of those clear plastic bubble floats you can fill with water. behind the float about 2 feet put on a salmon egg hook and float a hopper behind it. I would just tye deer hair on a fly hook and float it as an imitation to a hopper worked great. Kent

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely will. My plans changed and I'm taking my girlfriend there on either Wed or Thurs, or maybe back to back.

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't trolled McSwain in a while since shore fishing there is so good but I would pretty much use Rapalas or spoons, along with a couple of other cheap lures. As for depth the trout never really go deep since the lake stays pretty cold year round I would say they never go deeper than 20ft and you can find them on the surface even in the middle of the day. Good Luck and let us know how you do.
    Give a man a fish, he eats for one day, teach a man to fish and he takes all your fish!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna go to McSwain. What is your favorite lures and depths for this time of year at McSwain? I'm pretty sure people like to fish Rapala's which I am a definite fan of. What is your preference?

Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely go to McSwain I've never been skunked there and I only missed getting my limit there once. Trolling is excellent there, since there is a 10mph speed limit so you don't have to deal with pleasure boaters, it's pretty much a fisherman's lake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast