Page 1 of 7 1236 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: why you miss hookups when trolling

When I've used flashers (such as Sep's) in the past, at about 80 to 100 feet out, they troll at 5'-10' deep without added wait. Line diameter and speed affect this of course ;)

Post Thanks / Like

When I use lead core it is because I need to get down 30 to 50 feet and have out 8 to 10 colors so being to close to the boat is not an issue. When I only need to get down 5 to 10 feet I just add a sliding sinker to the main line and use my regular line and pole more fun to fight the fish with lighter gear. Does not take much weight to get down 5 to 10 feet with flashers.

Post Thanks / Like

BEER,FRIENDS, RADIO channel 69 ;)

Post Thanks / Like

superdave, thanks, no i havent tried that one. *is a double knot just a shorthand wrapped twice?

i did find some swivels (#12 i think) that fit through my reel guide though, which works o.k., i have metal guides and not ceramic so nothing really gets beat up by the swivel...i'll definitely try it....i'm terrible at tying a blood knot.....

regarding missing hookups, i've found when not holding rod, set drag fairly tight and have confidence in yer knots...i've fished w/ several folks who like to keep drag fairly loose and they seem to have more misses than hooksets.

also several times i've felt or seen a quick strike, which is likely the fish checking out the bait, and it takes practice not to react setting hook, rather i'll either let rod tip down and back , then give it a forward rip and let it back again (if holding rod) or use throttle to decrease, increase, then decrease the trolling speed (w/ rod in holder) and sometimes the fish comes back and takes it good (as has been discussed somewhere here before) its really cool when it works!

Post Thanks / Like

p.s. just make sure knot or swivel between main line and leader fits through level wind guide
    Dave in el dorado, have you tried the mono inside the lead core sheath knot? You break about 4" - 6" of the lead out of the sheath and start a loose double knot with the sheath. Slide the mono into the center of the lead core sheath and cinch the knot. It works like a Chinese finger knot toy.

2003 Jetcraft SK215
    150 HP Yamaha, 8 HP Yamaha T8 & 80 Lbs Minn Kota Riptide, 2006 Dodge Dually

Post Thanks / Like

justme, my best lead core success (which isnt much yet...this is only my 3rd yr having a boat) is using 40-50 ft leader. *if only trolling one or two colors, fishing a gin clear lake w/ shy trout, 40-50 ft leaders gets you away from boat........ FWIW...

p.s. just make sure knot or swivel between main line and leader fits through level wind guide.. :-[ *unless you like hand over hand combat...like i did a couple weeks ago ....doh!... *;D

Post Thanks / Like

1) Mising hook ups: IMO, most fish short strike trolled offerings. When I started adding trailer or stinger hooks to grubs, I caught many fish on the trailer alone.

2) Holding the rod: I was taught to troll with lead core and pulling the rod back when you got bumped set a lot of hooks and feels a heck of a lot better than picking up a hooked fish out of the holder. DR's not withstanding

3) Leader length: Length is probably best determined by what fish you are fishing for and their subjectness to being line shy. 8' - 10' leader won't catch trout in a few of the lakes I fish but probably has no adverse effect on planters or Kokanee.

2003 Jetcraft SK215
    150 HP Yamaha, 8 HP Yamaha T8 & 80 Lbs Minn Kota Riptide, 2006 Dodge Dually

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that I did not see addressed was the 45 foot leader. Was that a typo or do you really use a 45 foot leader. I have been fishing with lead core most of my life and have never used a 45 foot leader. I use 8 to 10 foot leaders and have never had a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone trolling Thomas Boyants? What colors?

BH

metalmouth

Wow, a thread for 2005! Someone has been doing some searching! :o

Page 1 of 7 1236 ... LastLast