Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pickle Meadows Area Fishing

There are a few left up high in the creek. I put them back when I catch them. There was a guy up there two week ago that keep 2 about 8''s.

Post Thanks / Like

Caught 3 Greyling
    Homer, There are still Greyling in Desert Creek :D!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Lobdale Lake is part of the head waters for Desert Creek. You can get to it two ways. By way of Desert Creek you turn up Jask-ass Springs and keep going on the main road for about 15 miles. By way of 395 heading south there used to be a sign on the hyway. It is between Topaz and Bridgeprot. Don't remember exactly but I think it is about 15 0r so miles from Topaz and about 7 miles up the hill. Used to be a good road from HYW 395. You'll need 4 wheel to go in from Desert Creek. The lake isn't much good any more but the creek is good fishing. Caught 3 Greyling and lots of nice R/B last time up there from the creek.

Post Thanks / Like

I have watched the truck depositing trout at that bridge more than once, we have fished from that bridge to the 395 bridge too, quite a hike while fishing. Have caught many limits around that bridge too. Up and downstream.

Post Thanks / Like

They have been planting large alpers all summer in the west walker. Alot of fish are also planted at the hwy 108 bridge. Water probably pretty low by now, but im sure still very fishable. You gotta spend some time on the east walker, test your skill on some of those wild browns, Man those guys can drive me crazey sometimes trying to figure out what they want. I have really good luck on the little walker for mostly planters, its a fun river to fish, i fissh it were it enters the west walker and work upstream, theres another area of the little walker up 395 a bit, you take a gravel road called little walker river road, havent had much luck there but may be a spot to try, just give the cows room :). Good luck, I love that area. Careful of rattlesnakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if anybody got any of those big alpers they planted in the Little Walker last season, I never heard of anyone getting any, they were big when planted. Maybe there are a few of those lurking around still.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info and update, I think we will free camp on the little walker and give a good try, hit all the local planter holes and see what happens, maybe give one creek I know of a try for some brookies too. Lots of walking to get to those brookies now, makes for a hard days fishing.

Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by propfishn
    My son and I and a friend are headed to Pickle Meadows area and East of there, trout fishing next weekend, anybody been there lately, how is the water levels, *I like fishing the smaller tributaries mostly, Molybdenite creek,etc. Anybody been up around Lobdale lake area small creeks?? Any water left up there? I did see a picture of the Little Walker where it goes under 395 on another thread, looks real low. Thanks for any info or suggestions.

The West Walker is indeed low and very clear. I fished Pickle Meadows last Wednesday and it's most likely my pic you saw. There are fish in the meadow but they are hiding. You might want to fish the Little Walker or the West Walker in the Canyon where you can find some pocket water. Other possibilities in the area are Twin Lakes and Bridgeport Res.

CC

Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

Post Thanks / Like

Lobdale Lake is a real sad story :'(..... It use to be one of the best fisheries around the area. We used to catch huge Grayling in there all of the time :o. This lasted for a while until the local politics came into play and management of the water and maintenance on the dam. I wont get into that, but the dam broke or something and the Grayling are gone. Then, they planted Camalope (spp??) rainbows...they got big...lotts-a fun to catch...same old story, but the Camalope are all but gone I think. Boo on the management of Lobdale is all I have to say >:(!!!! The water in all of those creeks have been low. Good Luck!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Is Molybdenite creek off 395 near Sonora Pass? Where's , Lobdale lake? If you call Ken's Sporting Goods in Bridgeport they will give you some updates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast