Post Thanks / Like

Re: E.Walker River Pics

Great report, great story and beeeauuuutiful fish right there.

Post Thanks / Like

great report. nice pictures. had a great time it looks like

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful fish and thanks for sharing the story. It's always satisfying when I find fish where others don't by reading the river.

Post Thanks / Like

Great report. Did you get a chance to fish Lower or Upper Twin?

Post Thanks / Like

Right back at ya Matt C. Nice report and nice photos. Fisherfolk superstitius? Say it ain't so ;D ;D ;D

Post Thanks / Like

Matt,

Nice fish, thanks for the story.

Makes me miss fishing the Eastern Sierras. I used to fish the West Walker quite a bit, it was always fun fishing among all of the water snakes.

Post Thanks / Like

E.Walker River Pics

Spent the weekend on the E.Walker outside of Bridgeport. Caught about 14 total for Sat. Sun. and Monday. A lot of fun and kind of crowded. The flows are low and almost the entire river below the dam is wadable. It's fun to fish that river when you can actually fish the whole river.

Took a few on an Elk Hair Caddis and a few on nymphs, and despite what folks may tell you about what nymph to use and what's working, just about any nymph worked for me as long as it was size #18 to #20. Copper Johns, Midge patterns, Pheasant Tails, you name it, though I did use beadheads on all of them. *Caught a few up to 15'', 16'' inches and of course I lost a few bigger ones. Ain't that always the case. ;)

Here's a fisherman's story for you.

I walk to a stretch of river I like, but when I get there a guy's already fishing the spot. So I figure I'll walk down to another spot I'm fond of, but when I get to that spot another guy's fishing. So I look to the one guy and then to the other guy and decide to just sit down and have a smoke. I'm thinking it's a little too crowded for my taste. *I'm thinking of leaving, maybe heading over to the W. Walker before it gets too late in the day.

I take off my fishing vest, lay it on the bank. I' sitting there having my smoke and I look at the river. It's a spot I've never fished before, and I've been on the E. Walker quite a few times. I can't remember even seeing anyone fish this spot. And it dawns on me it's actually a nice looking run. I dont' know why I'd never noticed it before. But I start studying the water and notice it's unique in it's own way, shallow with the current running left then back to the right forming a nice little "running pool" then shallowing out again and calming right before it hits some small rapids. It's about twenty yards of water I'm looking at.

I figure I'll give it a cast or two, and then head up to the W. Walker. *I leave my vest on the bank and wade out a ways. I cast. The Elk Hair with the nymph dropper floats on down a ways and then BAM. A nice rainbow nails the dry. I see his head come right of the water. Okay, he got away after about a three minute fight. *But now I'm staying. I was right about reading this stretch of water.

This is the part I'm getting to. I look at my vest on the bank. I think, grab it, put it on because there's fish in here. Then the thought hits me: If I put on the vest I'll jinx the whole thing. If I put on the vest there ain't gonna be anymore bites for me. I'm struck by the fact I'm being this superstitous.

I don't dare put on the vest.

I fish the stretch for another hour or so. I hook up on 6 and land half of them, all on the dry which is a fun thing to watch. Then it's over. No more bites. I grab my vest and head back to the truck.

Fishermen.

Here's some pics.

[img]http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/4968/dscn06230001ak4.jpg *[/img]

View of Lower Twin Lakes where I camped.

Another shot of Lower Twin