Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trolling rods for lead core

Quote Originally Posted by davedoesfish View Post
    I'm looking for a trolling rod to use with 12# lead core. would like to find something in the 6#-12# wt. 7' would be ideal for my uses. The 4#-10# is too light and the 15# is too heavy. any help would be appreciated.
    thanks in advance
    Downrigger?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by appleinorange View Post
    two of the best rods I have ever used for leadcore are Bass pro Tourney Special 4to12# or a Bass pro Microlite 4to 12#. Have caught maybe 1000 trout on these, up to 7# I love them both. these are light enough to enjoy fishing with but still have enough backbone to land a good fish.
    Thank you again. could you give me the rod length and model numbers as I'm having trouble finding them in the BP Catalog?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Compassion View Post
    Shimano TDR70MHB. Power Medium Heavy Action Medium Fast. Line Wt 12-25 Lb.

CC

thank you for the info-I'll check it out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by appleinorange View Post
    two of the best rods I have ever used for leadcore are Bass pro Tourney Special 4to12# or a Bass pro Microlite 4to 12#. Have caught maybe 1000 trout on these, up to 7# I love them both. these are light enough to enjoy fishing with but still have enough backbone to land a good fish.
    Thank you-I will go to the Manteca store and check them out. hopefully they will have them in stock.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TR4343 View Post
    6foot 6 inch ugly stick one piece medium action been using the same pole for fifteen years I catch just as manny fish as guys using lammiglas rods.12# lead core 6 to 8# leader 30 foot in lenth only thirty bucks.And dont let any one say only rookies us ugly sticks great pole for a small price dont have to spend 150.00 to catch just as many fish.Its not the rod as much as the fisherman using the rod dont get me wrong if Icould afford a nicer rod i,d use it but if your using lead core dont waste your money on anything else save your money for downriggers and use an ugly stick or berkely lightning rod.
    Thank you for the info. could you give me the Model Number and line wt. rating? thank you again

Post Thanks / Like

6foot 6 inch ugly stick one piece medium action been using the same pole for fifteen years I catch just as manny fish as guys using lammiglas rods.12# lead core 6 to 8# leader 30 foot in lenth only thirty bucks.And dont let any one say only rookies us ugly sticks great pole for a small price dont have to spend 150.00 to catch just as many fish.Its not the rod as much as the fisherman using the rod dont get me wrong if Icould afford a nicer rod i,d use it but if your using lead core dont waste your money on anything else save your money for downriggers and use an ugly stick or berkely lightning rod.

Post Thanks / Like

Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davedoesfish View Post
    CC-what weight rating is it and what Model name and number?

thanks a lot
    Shimano TDR70MHB. Power Medium Heavy Action Medium Fast. Line Wt 12-25 Lb.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion (from experience), lead core line causes a huge bow when you have the line out due to its weight. So I found that the rod that I had didnt have enough play/action and was too stiff. I think you would want a rod with moderate action, but still have some backbone. This way there will aways have some good tension on the line so the fish cant throw the hook despite the bow in the line...also always keep the boat in a forward motion in the slowest speed. I have to admit, I didnt give lead core alot of time...I didnt like the weight of the line when trying to fight the fish and I seemed to loose a good amount of bites. I always felt I have to reel fast in order to keep direct contact with the fish or the fish could use the line weight to their advantage. Since I switched to downriggers, I couldnt imagine going back. Good luck
    13.5' Gregor Welded Aluminum Boat, 1989 15hp Johnson, 46lb Thrust MinnKota Endura Trolling Motor, Penn Fathom Master 600 Downrigger, Scotty 1090 Downrigger, Cannon Uni-Troll 10 HP Downrigger, Humminbird Matrix 17 Dual Beam FishFinder, Abu Garcia 5500LC & Diawa SG17LCA LineCounter Reels on Lamiglass Rods

Post Thanks / Like

CC-what weight rating is it and what Model name and number?

thanks a lot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast