Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proposal to close a gravel road in the American River

Amen, amen, amen.
    I hate to see fishing access lost, it never comes back.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course it is bogus. Backing a boat into the river there is nothing but river rock???? What is there to environmentally damage??? I've used that area for over thirty years!!!! All of a sudden there is a problem!!! That stretch is convenient to go to as the opposite ends of that stretch of the river has fast water that the small boats using it don't want to deal with. As far as cleaning the area... use the county bad boys and girls that have to clean roads to pick up trash. There is no common sense used anymore and I would not be surprised to see it closed as the politicians, appointed officials and other powers to be are not interested in we the people or our passion to fish. Produce the least amount of work with the biggest bugget you can justify. Sorry to be cynical, but ths crap never ends... no mention of cutting give away programs as everyone but tax payers have rights!!!!

Wildturkey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reel_burner View Post
    Dang Russ, I knew that I was suppose to do something after work last night. Thanks for going and keeping us informed.

If they are soooo worried that a bicyclist will get hurt at this crossing why don't they enforce the STOP SIGNS on the bike path at every crossing? Each crossing is a FOUR WAY STOP but I have yet to see a single bike stop at any of them.

I don't know how many times I have stopped before crossing the bike path at the Sunrise ramp and slowly pulled ahead to have some westbound biker come flying around the curve (way over the posted speed limit) and nearly broadside my boat before I can get across the intersection.

If this is the excuse that they gave then they are full of carp! The protection is there (A STOP SIGN) and should the bikers chose to run it then who is at fault? What a crock!

i got t boned by a bike there once in just that way. a tall, lean,gray haired man in spandex and a helmet and boy i'm telling you he NAILED! my boat. i got about the business of seeing if he was hurt (laying in the oak leaves & sand) when he started acting like I had done something wrong. i just turned it around on him that i needed some I.D. in case of damage to my boat from a hit & run. jerk.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang Russ, I knew that I was suppose to do something after work last night. Thanks for going and keeping us informed.

If they are soooo worried that a bicyclist will get hurt at this crossing why don't they enforce the STOP SIGNS on the bike path at every crossing? Each crossing is a FOUR WAY STOP but I have yet to see a single bike stop at any of them.

I don't know how many times I have stopped before crossing the bike path at the Sunrise ramp and slowly pulled ahead to have some westbound biker come flying around the curve (way over the posted speed limit) and nearly broadside my boat before I can get across the intersection.

If this is the excuse that they gave then they are full of carp! The protection is there (A STOP SIGN) and should the bikers chose to run it then who is at fault? What a crock!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prestoked View Post
    I'm pretty sure the real reason they want to close it is because of the difficulty/inconvenience of the park people that empty the trash barrels and the trash that accumulates down there in the summer. It does get pretty bad at times.
    Went to the meeting in Fair Orks last evening and the descusion was about the bike trail and liablity issues of the bikes hitting vehicals during crossing @ this entrance to the river. My self I think it is just another excuse to close a access to the river. They also discussed about there funding cuts and how in the very near future there will only be 6 rangers to cover the whole Sacramento county park system. On the sly I also found out in the very near future you will
    NO LONGER BE ABLE TO PARK ON THE GRAVEL BAR @ Grist Mill,
    but you will still be able to launch a boat, and then park in the upper lote off of the bar. We just need to hope they do not shut the whole park down and if so it will still be acessable to the bikers who it seems the state is catering to. Only time will tell
    Last edited by HOG-ON; 05-13-2010 at 06:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure the real reason they want to close it is because of the difficulty/inconvenience of the park people that empty the trash barrels and the trash that accumulates down there in the summer. It does get pretty bad at times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fern-dog View Post
    Whacked ....

OK ... you pick your battles, we are all certainly free to do that, that's for sure. Opinions are opinions, and we all have them also!
    Look at us, we all fish the area, we all either have or currently do and wish to continue to use the area. Some of us in ways different from others. But they are already ahead of the game if we are this divided and jumping down each others throats. How about we all stand together so that they know we are one and our voices count and mean something !!! Let's not put down each other to the point that the other side just sits back and watches us destroy ourselfs.

Your points and opinions are well taken ... but why shut out those of others at the same time? It could be you next time calling upon your fellow fishermen for support to stand behind you while one of the areas you use (be it access or waters) is about to be changed. Just think about that for a minute while we all sit on some ice, chill and regroup as one !!!

Off My Soap Box ... I'll be at the meeting .... Anything else, feel free to PM me to discuss further !

Fern-Dog
    grrrrrrrr!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    I guess it does sound a bit harsh.
    But there are 2 ramps nearby and it is a matter of convenience especially when the sandbar is pretty shallow. If your using a trailer to launch you may be damaging the riverbed. If your not using a trailer then hike it in.

OTOH: If they were taking about closing that area to fishing, then I can see a fight. I prefer to pick my battles.

and btw, I have a pontoon boat with no motor so I know about rowing.

Whacked ....

OK ... you pick your battles, we are all certainly free to do that, that's for sure. Opinions are opinions, and we all have them also!
    Look at us, we all fish the area, we all either have or currently do and wish to continue to use the area. Some of us in ways different from others. But they are already ahead of the game if we are this divided and jumping down each others throats. How about we all stand together so that they know we are one and our voices count and mean something !!! Let's not put down each other to the point that the other side just sits back and watches us destroy ourselfs.

Your points and opinions are well taken ... but why shut out those of others at the same time? It could be you next time calling upon your fellow fishermen for support to stand behind you while one of the areas you use (be it access or waters) is about to be changed. Just think about that for a minute while we all sit on some ice, chill and regroup as one !!!

Off My Soap Box ... I'll be at the meeting .... Anything else, feel free to PM me to discuss further !

Fern-Dog

Post Thanks / Like

"The river stays cleaner when boats are launched from a steeper incline," Flannery said.

How does he come to that conclusion? If that is what this is about, and I doubt it, then this whole thing is bogus. I'll be ther Wednesday to debate their logic.

"The gravel bar was used as a temporary boat launching site prior to construction of the new ramp near the Old Fair Oaks Bridge," Chief Park Ranger Steve Flannery said in a news release.

Wrong again Bucko! I have used that access point since I came to Sactown seven years ago, long before they started their long drawn out process of building the new ramp. There is nothing "temporary" about that access point as it is on one of my old maps from the '80s.

As far as boat launching damaging the sand bar/river habitat, I'm sure that wading in the river is much more detrimental not to mention F&G running jet boats full blast up and down the riffles during the entire spawning season.

I've used this access point many times to fish Green Hole and the other side of the island without having to drag my drift boat upstream throught the rapids and occasionally launch my pontoon for a short float down to the bridge.

Thanks for the heads up 'Dawg!
    Last edited by Reel_burner; 05-10-2010 at 08:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it does sound a bit harsh.
    But there are 2 ramps nearby and it is a matter of convenience especially when the sandbar is pretty shallow. If your using a trailer to launch you may be damaging the riverbed. If your not using a trailer then hike it in.

OTOH: If they were taking about closing that area to fishing, then I can see a fight. I prefer to pick my battles.

and btw, I have a pontoon boat with no motor so I know about rowing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast