Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to Get Sponsored From Fishing?

It looks like Cal Kellogg is the next to weigh in...As you can see from his boat he's sponsored by Natural Ice, Midol, Depends Under Garments and Secret deodorant, its not just for the ladies anymore.....

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=SMOGGUY;779319]I'm happy to say that Cal is going to sponsor me,the smogguy, we will work together as one.Thank you all for being supportive.Don[/QUOTE.........HAAAAAAAAAAA caught ya all on that one.Don:rolleyes2:

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy to say that Cal is going to sponsor me,the smogguy, we will work together as one.Thank you all for being supportive.Don

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like Cal Kellogg is the next to weigh in...As you can see from his boat he's sponsored by Natural Ice, Midol, Depends Under Garments and Secret deodorant, its not just for the ladies anymore.....

Post Thanks / Like

hmmmm. I am even now composing a letter to the CEO of Coors, the makers of Keystone Light. Too bad I'm a grumpy old geezer who has lost all people skills to old age, most memory to dementia, and suffer from delusions of grandeur. But I do love my cheap beer!

Other than those minor drawbacks, you can expect to see a Keystone Light ad on the hull of my boat any day now...
    Dale ...held in Kalifornistan against my will.

Fishing Site: www.FishWisher.com
    RV Site: http://CoachPotatosRVsite.synthasite.com/

I've got...

Post Thanks / Like

I am clean cut, well articulated, increase magazine sales, promote online forum, and have contributed articles. I still am not sponsored in my kayak tournaments, but I am sure the fine makers of ugly-stik will pick me up someday. Les Swab should for all the tire weights I melt down to make sinkers too. Come to think of it, pretty sure McDonald's need to throw me a bone too, we eat there more often than I care to mention. JK, being sponsored means you have to do so much more than just enjoy fishing. I dumped my sponsors long ago to just do that, use what I want to use, and enjoy myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Roland is correct on all counts...Remember, never approach a potential sponsor and tell them what they can do for you. You've got to come up with good reasons for a company to invest in you. You always want to tell them what you will do for them.

Certainly you've got to be able to fish, but a lot of folks can fish. You've also got to be law abiding, clean cut and have a people personality. As a sponsored angler you will be representing a company, and they never want to be embarrassed. Finally, if you are sponsored by a lure company, you've got to create lure sales for the company. If you are sponsored by a boat manufacturer or boat dealer, you've got to be able to move boats....

As with Roland, I'd be happy to answer any questions as well...

Cal Kellogg
    Editor Fish Sniffer Magazine

Post Thanks / Like

blueorbital,

I am currently in my 6th year of writing columns for the California Delta Chambers, and just recently was brought onto the Fishsniffer to write bi-weekly reports. I guess you can say that I work part time in the local fishing community.

Getting any type of sponsorship requires a couple of key skills, such as communication, knowledge, and proper ethics/values. Tackle companies want individuals who possess knowledge, are able to articulate said knowledge into information so that people can understand it, have proper fishing etiquette (respectful of other anglers, the environment, and the laws), and of course excellent communication skills (both verbal and written). Think of it just like applying for a job in your given skillset or industry.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Post Thanks / Like

A sponsorship is a business arrangement. As such, what you need is a business plan. Specifically, you need to be able to clearly state 1) How much money you need 2) What specifically the money will be spent on and 3) What a sponsor will get in return that is of greater value than the $$$ they give you.

The likelihood of getting a sponsor will depend on how compelling #3 is. You will need to be able to make a rock-solid case on why the sponsor should believe there will be a return on their investment. For example, Shakespeare had a new rod that they believed to be a great value but sales were lacking. They worked a deal with Dan Hernandez to sponsor him in exchange for his endorsement. The profits from the rod sales exceeded their investment in Dan so therefore the sponsorship was a good deal.

SO, the question you need to be able to answer is "What is it that I have to offer a vendor that could be of value greater than a boat, gear, clothing, travel expenses and tournament fees?"
    Last edited by Yaker; 06-18-2010 at 06:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

How to Get Sponsored From Fishing?

Just a thought. How could I get sponsored to fish?? I know its probabbly a newb question, that has many answers but I don't know. I do know that I love to fish and can be up at the crack butt of dawn to get out in the water and don't mind spending 3-10+ hours fishing!! =D

My guess first is I have to win tournaments, but I can't win tournaments unless I have a boat. Second, I have to have record catches, none of those either. Third, my guess is networking...

Any tips?