Post Thanks / Like

Re: Caycos,Morro Bay,Avila Piers.....HALP ME!

Quote Originally Posted by BeefCakeScout View Post
    I am a lifelong freshwater angler so I have no clue about salt fishing. I work in San Luis Obispo during the week(live in Sacto) and I have 3 piers within 20 minutes of Camp SLO. I also shy away from bait whenever I can, but that seems to be the ticket for pier fishing I guess. I wanna get into ocean fishing and figure piers would be a great start. I also would love to have some FRESH seafood(i'm not super particular). What would be my best bet for gettin some fish on the line? I have 3 poles ready to go. 1 is just a little trout rod I thought I'd use to catch some bait, but the other 2 are ready for decent sized fish(6'6" light/med and 7'7" med/heavy w/ 20 and 50 lb braid respectively).

Being a bass/striper guy at heart I tend to be a bit of a conservationist, so what plentiful species is worth tossing in a bucket, What species are just GREAT to catch and what should I try my hardest to avoid?
    Also, what baits work the best. I had planned to get some pile worms or blood works to catch my bait and maybe some squid/mackeral/chovies just in case I couldn't catch any bait.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. If any pier SNIFFERS are in the area and wanna give a guy a lesson, i'm here almost every week.
    I just saw your thread today and thought I'd pass on a little info. The piers can be pretty slow overall...maybe better at night for sharks using squid. Morro Bay can be especially good for leopard sharks, again at night. For daytime, I'd suggest you go to the beach between Morro Bay and Cayucos (right on highway 1 through the fence). The surf (barred) perch (great eating) fishing can be really good and you can either use a surf rod to put your bait out just past the breakers, or use a medium size spinning rod and waders to cast plastic grubs (rootbeer is always good) and work them like you would for bass. Check at Virg's Fishing Tackle in Morro Bay for more details on this kind of fishing. Blood worms or sandworms would work great.

Post Thanks / Like

Caycos,Morro Bay,Avila Piers.....HALP ME!

I am a lifelong freshwater angler so I have no clue about salt fishing. I work in San Luis Obispo during the week(live in Sacto) and I have 3 piers within 20 minutes of Camp SLO. I also shy away from bait whenever I can, but that seems to be the ticket for pier fishing I guess. I wanna get into ocean fishing and figure piers would be a great start. I also would love to have some FRESH seafood(i'm not super particular). What would be my best bet for gettin some fish on the line? I have 3 poles ready to go. 1 is just a little trout rod I thought I'd use to catch some bait, but the other 2 are ready for decent sized fish(6'6" light/med and 7'7" med/heavy w/ 20 and 50 lb braid respectively).

Being a bass/striper guy at heart I tend to be a bit of a conservationist, so what plentiful species is worth tossing in a bucket, What species are just GREAT to catch and what should I try my hardest to avoid?
    Also, what baits work the best. I had planned to get some pile worms or blood works to catch my bait and maybe some squid/mackeral/chovies just in case I couldn't catch any bait.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. If any pier SNIFFERS are in the area and wanna give a guy a lesson, i'm here almost every week.