Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How bad does a fishing spot get burned??

I avoid going out on the weekend like the plague. I've had my vehicle blocked in by idiots parking were they shouldn't and can count on at least one rude person at the ramp!! During the week is best IMHO

Wildturkey

Post Thanks / Like

I never post the spots where I'm successful, not because I'm afraid the fish'll be depleted by spot-burners, but because they'll spook all the fish. Usually, people that chase posted spots really don't know very much about fish behavior, how to read the water, etc, and so they use lures/baits and presentations that aren't appropriate. For example, I once saw a picture posted on a message board of someone that bagged a 40# striper - that photo had some buildings in the background that I recognized (and apparently others did, too), hence I knew right away where they caught the fish. That water has absolutely nothing to hold fish - no quick depth changes, no corners, no points, no wood, no rock, no nothing - so they just happened to luck into a fish that'd been moving through. However, a week later when I boated through that area, it was a circus - a bunch of trollers ran donuts around bait guys that were anchored head-to-ass. Suffice it to say, I saw/heard not a single keeper caught, while we drifted a few spots away from the mob that had good hydraulics and bagged five legal fish in about 30 minutes. If the mob had been in one of my favorite areas, all the commotion would no doubt have put the fish down.

I think that it kind of goes without saying that there are way, way more spots out there that hold fish than those posted on internet message boards. More time on the water, plus more time spent learning about the biology and behavior of a certain species of fish, reveals more spots that'll hold that fish. Given that, chasing internet posts becomes unnecessary.

Post Thanks / Like

I made the mistake of giving up a spot on here once. The NEXT day my little brother and his buddy went out and there were 15 boats on the water. The feather river is NOT THAT WIDE....its inconsiderate as all hell. I will ask for specifics once in a while and if I get them I will keep them in mind for the next time i'm in the area, but just running out to burn a spot is just dirty. There are some posters on this board that I would be willing to give specifics to, simply because I have watched how they post, learned about their ethics as anglers and trust that they would be good stewards to my favorite spots....other than that

Post Thanks / Like

The reason I don't post many reports anymore, I used to post a bunch of post with lots of pics and stuff but after hearing too many horror stories I stopped. Kinda sucks because I like helping other fisherman out but a few bad eggs ruin it for everyone else. I can't understand those people who see you catch a fish and race over and toss out right were you are and of course they tangle with you.
    Give a man a fish, he eats for one day, teach a man to fish and he takes all your fish!

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen it this whole salmon season. I think some fishermen let their egos get the best of them. The last time we were out on the sac we had a guy that posts specifics, troll by and wonder why there were 70 boats on the water on a weekday. I wonder why. Some things are better left unsaid.

"WHere were you fishing?" Bigg A's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doneli View Post
    learned over the time to give info about how and when but keep where to yourself...just general area and let the people figure it by themselves...when you find somebody on your favorite place just move and find another one...fish are not limited to one spot only. they migrate. that means you can find them on a spot or catch them on their pathway.
    +3.....

Post Thanks / Like

I did find other fishing spots. The Delta is big. I was just sharing my observation. Going after Sturgeons.

Post Thanks / Like

learned over the time to give info about how and when but keep where to yourself...just general area and let the people figure it by themselves...when you find somebody on your favorite place just move and find another one...fish are not limited to one spot only. they migrate. that means you can find them on a spot or catch them on their pathway.
    +2

Post Thanks / Like

>>>> + 1 Good post an very true nowdays.Don

Post Thanks / Like

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast