Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are white bass tasty?

We got the white bass at Naci last year in April...but caught them in the river earlier...I just don't recall if it was as early as March. Anyway, white roostertails were the ticket, as well as very small rattletraps. To check on the run, call Jim's Pro Bass shop in Paso Robles or the Bee Rock Store at Nacimiento.

Post Thanks / Like

When do they go on the big run at Naci? Don't know anymore, but that used to be epic.

-Mike

Post Thanks / Like

The Roostertail thing is a trip. When I was there, the shad were spawning in the back ends of feeder streams, and the white bass (and the channels and spots) were busting on 'em big-time. I thought a real small shad-patterned crankbait would be the way to go, and it did catch white bass, but only here and there. My girlfriend, however, started throwing a Kastmaster and began catching 'em a bit faster than I was. That reminded me of reading something about Roostertails being deadly for whites. So, I tied on an 1/8-oz Roostertail, slung it out there, and caught a white bass every single cast. Seemed bizarre that fish chowing down on shad would want something that looks absolutely nothing like shad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerPunch View Post
    They're really closely related to stripers, and stripers are damn good, so I'd expect that whites are just as tasty. However, Nacimiento's fish apparently have a real high mercury load, which why I let the ones that I caught back in May '08 go.

And man, one thing white bass LOVE - Roostertails...
    Rooster tails..i know they love them we killed them on grand lake Oklahoma

Post Thanks / Like

Yup. Nacimiento white bass are high in mercury due to runoff from mine tailings over the years. Did you get some at Nacimiento today?

Post Thanks / Like

They're really closely related to stripers, and stripers are damn good, so I'd expect that whites are just as tasty. However, Nacimiento's fish apparently have a real high mercury load, which why I let the ones that I caught back in May '08 go.

And man, one thing white bass LOVE - Roostertails...

Post Thanks / Like

Are white bass tasty?

They are considered panfish.....so why not? Anybody have experience?
    I saw a fish once...