Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dumbarton Pier - Largest Ray I've Seen Caught Outta There...

I would recommend soaking the leopard fillets in buttermilk overnight. Make sure you cut a gill plate on either side of the head. Make sure to remove any and all green meat from the fillets. If you are going to bleed a fish run a rope through its gills and let it swim around in the water until it dies. It makes them bleed more and they don't clot as fast. Also hey free natural chum.

One of my neighbors makes a killer batwing soup. I'll have to ask her how she prepares the meat.
    Salmanoids [Freshwater] = 27 (PB 6.10lbs RBT 4.5lbs GBT) Catfish = 02 (PB 11lbs CH) Striper = 01 (PB 15lbs)
    Sharks/Rays = 01 Salmanoids [Saltwater] = 00 (PB 22lbs KS) Rockfish = 12 Halibut/Flounder= 02
    TOTAL FISH FOR 2018= 45
    FISHERMAN'S HONOR

2. Likes mchao88 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scubaman99 View Post
    does anyone know how to cook them??? I hear they get an amonia flavor really quickly?
    I cooked the second ray I ever caught out of Berkeley pier for the first time a few years back. I gave it a good bleeding to get as much of that ammonia blood out of the meat as possible. I've tried doing the same with Leopard. Either leopard sharks have a higher concentration of ammonia in their system or I did a bad bleed because that one was not good and I haven't tried another one since. At any rate, I heard somewhere that anything acidic really helps cover up that ammonia smell and taste so after I filleted the wings (top and bottom on both sides) I marinaded it in lemon, salt, and some spices for a few hours. I then fried each fillet and from what I remember it surprisingly was rather tasty. I haven't had another ray since as I see them as such docile creatures and I typically cast them back each time but trying something different isn't too bad. Hope this helps. Bon Apetit!
    ------------------------------------
    Live life through experiences
    ------------------------------------

4. Likes ucsbfisherman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scubaman99 View Post
    does anyone know how to cook them??? I hear they get an amonia flavor really quickly?

Release them :)
    More fun for all!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

That is a nasty looking catch!

Youth Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F33rNoFish View Post
    Sliding sinker rig seems to be good for rays and sharkSent from my Phish bucket
    I went again, and using a multihook I was catching a ton of baby sevengill sharks (1.5 ft). No big ones. Someone else caught a medium ray and 32 in leopard shark though.What is the best type hook for them? Someone said it was circle.

Post Thanks / Like

Sliding sinker rig seems to be good for rays and shark

Sent from my Phish bucket

Youth Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hulenjohnson View Post
    Dumbarton has some huge rays. I finally caught my first rays this summer. Last week i hooked a 60lber, the wingspan was bigger than my crab net. I caught it on a whole squid

What rig do you guys use? sliding or multi hook? Those seem to be the main rigs for sharks/rays

Youth Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jester83 View Post
    Hey F33r
    Do you know when they close the road for the nesting birds?
    Still have not been out there, lived in Fremont my whole life.

Its open I called, and they said the birds havent been there for two years:)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hulenjohnson View Post
    Dumbarton has some huge rays. I finally caught my first rays this summer. Last week i hooked a 60lber, the wingspan was bigger than my crab net. I caught it on a whole squid
    yep. that's what the kid was using when he caught his. whole squid. not much for rays other than the fact that they're fun to catch. if i could, i'd like to at least attempt to eat what i catch.

i know you can prepare the ray a certain way and from what i hear they can be tasty, but i don't know how and the only experience i had as a kid when my mom tried to cook it was horrible. it was like eating shoe leather!! LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast